The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

Just coming to end of 3rd Quarter A1 goes up for shot. Partner has jumpball as whistle blows so does horn ending quarter. Whistle did come first but just barely. Do you use alternate possession or not? Thanks for your input.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
Just coming to end of 3rd Quarter A1 goes up for shot. Partner has jumpball as whistle blows so does horn ending quarter. Whistle did come first but just barely. Do you use alternate possession or not? Thanks for your input.
Yes, to start the fourth quarter.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

If you can determine the actual amount of time that should be on the clock, then you replace it and have the AP throw-in. If you can't (which it sounds like you couldn't), then the quarter is over and the held ball is ignored.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

To be honest, I wouldn't even try to figure out how much time to put back on if it's that close.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't even try to figure out how much time to put back on if it's that close.
And I agree with this wholeheartedly.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 11:12am
#thereferee99

Change your perspective.

Quote:
What if instead of held ball, you had a foul?
Would you ignore as well?

I actually got educated on this over the weekend. If the official knows that the event (held ball, or foul as I suggested) occurred prior to the end of the period (the sound of the horn) then the result of the play or any violations incurred should stand -- as they occurred before the quarter ended.

If the officials do not have knowledge of remaining time, then by rule they are not allowed to put time back on the clock.

So, in the OP, we have a held ball occurring as the period ends. We cannot take action on this event at this time, as the quarter is now over. Done. We haven't ignored the event, we have recognized it occurring.

The A/P arrow remains unchanged, as we have not had an A/P throw-in. We will have an A/P throw-in to start the next quarter.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
What if instead of held ball, you had a foul?
Would you ignore as well?

I actually got educated on this over the weekend. If the official knows that the event (held ball, or foul as I suggested) occurred prior to the end of the period (the sound of the horn) then the result of the play or any violations incurred should stand -- as they occurred before the quarter ended.

If the officials do not have knowledge of remaining time, then by rule they are not allowed to put time back on the clock.

So, in the OP, we have a held ball occurring as the period ends. We cannot take action on this event at this time, as the quarter is now over. Done. We haven't ignored the event, we have recognized it occurring.

The A/P arrow remains unchanged, as we have not had an A/P throw-in. We will have an A/P throw-in to start the next quarter.
I agree we have not ignored the held ball but to the casual viewer, it appears that we have since we do not administer the AP throw in (aka change the arrow). Start the 4th quarter if you do not have definitive knowledge of the time remaining following the held ball situation

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First thing I do is talk to my partner about situational awareness after the game.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

What do you talk to him about?
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS 5-6-2 "Each quarter or extra period ends when the signal sounds indicating time has expired.
EXCEPTIONS:
2. If a held ball or violation occurs so near the expiration of time that the clock is not stopped before time expires, the quarter or extra period ends with the held ball or violation."

Even if I know the exact time that should be left on the clock I am going to let the period end on the jump ball or violation if it's that close. Now if it's a foul, we've got a different story.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Back In The Saddle Stayed At A Holiday Inn Express Last Night ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
NFHS 5-6-2: Each quarter or extra period ends when the signal sounds indicating time has expired. EXCEPTIONS: 2. If a held ball or violation occurs so near the expiration of time that the clock is not stopped before time expires, the quarter or extra period ends with the held ball or violation.
Great citation. And, as you've already pointed out, it doesn't say foul, just held ball, or violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

So you go with the alternating posession arrow at the quarter correct?
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Just like you do at the start of any quarter - except the first lol
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

If you followed the whole post you would understand I was asking if you would use AP with the jump ball situation as the horn sounded ending the quarter. Most implied they would wave the jump ball and start the new quarter using the AP which was never changed. Thanks to all
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If you followed the whole post you would understand I was asking if you would use AP with the jump ball situation as the horn sounded ending the quarter. Most implied they would wave the jump ball and start the new quarter using the AP which was never changed. Thanks to all
Correct, the quarter ends with the held ball. You'll skip the throwin because the quarter is over.