View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
What if instead of held ball, you had a foul?
Would you ignore as well?

I actually got educated on this over the weekend. If the official knows that the event (held ball, or foul as I suggested) occurred prior to the end of the period (the sound of the horn) then the result of the play or any violations incurred should stand -- as they occurred before the quarter ended.

If the officials do not have knowledge of remaining time, then by rule they are not allowed to put time back on the clock.

So, in the OP, we have a held ball occurring as the period ends. We cannot take action on this event at this time, as the quarter is now over. Done. We haven't ignored the event, we have recognized it occurring.

The A/P arrow remains unchanged, as we have not had an A/P throw-in. We will have an A/P throw-in to start the next quarter.
I agree we have not ignored the held ball but to the casual viewer, it appears that we have since we do not administer the AP throw in (aka change the arrow). Start the 4th quarter if you do not have definitive knowledge of the time remaining following the held ball situation

-Josh