The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 12:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Connecticut, Do As Connecticutians Do ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
A lot of local areas do not care how you signal a block as it relates to the fists or the open hands. This certainly does not apply across the board.
Our local board is supposed to only use NFHS approved signals, with one Connecticut exception: Point to the floor with one finger to indicate foot touching 3 point line (i.e. 2 point field goal is being attempted).

I've always like the fists, especially in a block/charge situation. The fists, when needed, help me to sell the call. Evaluators will always comment on the fists rather than the correct open hands. Hard habit for me to break. At least I'm halfway there (site/reporting area).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 12:19am.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Signaling Foul Shot Violations in Basketball | Expert Village Videos

Here is a video about "Signaling Foul Shot Violations"...whatever that means. He keeps calling fouls violations.

The rest of the videos are there. Be sure and check out the video about inbounding the ball. He claims that you can't move your feet side-to-side at all on a spot throw-in and he uses a three-point try signal instead of an open hand when doing his five count during a throw-in. The guy's description says he does high school games. This scares me.

Edit: After watching more videos, I'm even more appalled. On the "Signaling Over and Back" video, he says that once you get two points over the line, you can't go back to the backcourt. He then instructs us to stop the clock with a closed fist.

Last edited by zm1283; Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 12:13am.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 12:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Our local board is supposed to only use NFHS approved signals, with one Connecticut exception: Point to the floor with one finger to indicate foot touching 3 point line (i.e. 2 point field goal is being attempted).

I've always like the fists, especially in a block/charge situation. The fists, when needed, help me to sell the call. Evaluators will always comment on the fists rather than the correct open hands. Hard habit for me to break. At least I'm halfway there (site/reporting area).
I wish evaluators would worry more about judgment and less about things like this.

I'm a hip banger. Sue me.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 12:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

I am not really talking about whether they use NF Mechanics or not. I am simply saying that there are many places where no one is splitting hairs if you use a closed fist or an open hand whether it is on block call or what we affectionately call a "hack." Some places are more anal than others when it comes to those kinds of things. And I have never read anywhere that the NF wants such a technical application of such signals anyway. This is usually someone that sees the picture and thinks if you do one thing out of place something is drastically wrong. That is not always the case in different parts of the country one way or the other.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 12:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
There was a series of Expert Village baseball umpiring videos we laughed about for a few days on another board. These "expert" videos are only good for showing what NOT to do.

Didn't know you got a "side out" after a foul...
Especially since we're now using rally scoring in basketball.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 07:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

"Land of Steady Habits" ???

Quote:
And I have never read anywhere that the NF wants such a technical application of such signals anyway. That is not always the case in different parts of the country one way or the other.
I have. It is here in may little corner of CT. If this is what my evaluators want, this is what they'll get, at least, the best I can. The days of officials creating their own "style" have been long over here in Connecticut.

2008-09 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
5. OFFICIALS’ MECHANICS AND SIGNALS. Communication and consistency remain the most important elements of good officiating. It is essential for officials to be familiar and comfortable with proper NFHS officiating mechanics and signals. The primary reasons for utilizing only approved NFHS mechanics and signals are: Effective court coverage related to Primary Coverage Areas; Effective communication between officiating partner(s); Provide immediate information and feedback to coaches, players, scorers, timers and fans. Signals are used to communicate and should never be used to call attention to the official. The majority of signals are used to indicate what has or is happening. Approved NFHS signals are dignified, informative and meaningful. The use of unauthorized signals frequently confuses, because the meaning is unknown. Problems are also created when officials engage in “hit and run” officiating. This occurs when an official blows the whistle and immediately leaves the area without taking the time to follow the proper procedures for calling the foul or violation. Signals should be given in a manner that is calm, under control, unhurried and professional.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:33am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I wish evaluators would worry more about judgment and less about things like this.
I agree to a certain extent, but you have to walk before you can run. For a new official, it's easier to get the signals correct than it is to get the judgment correct. As an official progresses, critique should become more about judgment; but in the early stages, especially, I think mechanics are important to focus on.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 01:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy,

I think you missed my point here. A few years ago on the NF Manual and in the Rulebook, the NF changed the picture to an "Illegal use of Hands" to an open hand chop, to a closed fist chop. People were using the closed fist chop for years and only the ultra technical cared. This change from what I remember was not made public or included in any changes the NF made that year in the Manual. A similar situation took place in relationship to the "holding" signal. The holding signal used to look exactly like a football official hold. Now the signal looks like it has been taught for years, off to the side and closer to your shoulder.

In my experience as long as you do similar to what the Manual shows, I have found very few people that really cared either way. Actually if you use the Manual for that much detail, most of the positioning was often not considered correct when it came to normal teaching of mechanics. The book would only show very basic stuff and if you were more advanced you used stuff that was not listed in the Manual. Maybe this is a problem somewhere, but not where I live and the places I have worked most of my career. I know as a clinician in my state I do not split those kinds of hairs when evaluating officials in or out of camps.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Especially since we're now using rally scoring in basketball.
Please tell me we don't have to play each quarter until somebody reaches 25? If so, what do I do if 30 minutes before Wednesday's game time, I'm still working Tuesday's freshman girls game?
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Like The Fist Chop, And The Fist Block Better, And, They're "Cooler" Signals ...

Quote:
A few years ago on the NF Manual and in the Rulebook, the NF changed the picture to an "Illegal use of Hands" to an open hand chop, to a closed fist chop. People were using the closed fist chop for years and only the ultra technical cared. This change from what I remember was not made public or included in any changes the NF made that year in the Manual.
You're right. The 2003-04 manual shows the open hand chop. The 2004-05 manual shows the closed fist chop. I don't remember the change. I believe that when I started twenty-eight years ago (really twenty-nine, our first year on IAABO is considered a probationary year, and we don't become full members until the end of that probationary year) I was taught, by my partners (that's how we learned mechanics back then, no clinics, no camps, no mechanics exams; the rules, and calls, were emphasized back then, not mechanics), the open hand chop. Somewhere along the line, I don't remember exactly when, but it was a lot earlier than 2004-05, a lot of officials, including me, went to the closed fist chop. Same thing with the open hand block. That's what I was taught, but so many well respected veterans were doing the fist block, that I started doing it that way too, even though I knew it was wrong.

Bottom line. My schedule, including the level of games, and the number of games, is based on my ranking, which is based, among other things, on my ratings. Mechanics seem to be stressed a lot more now, then when I started. So, "When In Connecticut, Do What Connecticut Evaluators Do".