The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tripping (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50091-tripping.html)

wrwom Sun Nov 30, 2008 08:47pm

Tripping

I started refereeing for a kids Church league last year and found I really enjoyed it. I am attending training over the next few weeks through a local recreation department and hope to expand to doing other youth recreational leagues and maybe some middle school and eventually JV. While I certainly don't have hear the experience of most of the people on this forum I believe that if I am going to take on the role of officiating, even as a volunteer, I should do the best as job I chance. I have been reading this forum and looking for additional information to improve my skills.

I came across this video on YouTube:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OxYCXUbhdMU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OxYCXUbhdMU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I understand that under 10-6-1 tripping would be a foul, but there seems to be no definition or signal for a tripping foul. The signal given in the video appears to be signal for kicking (although you can't fully see the mechanic the way the video is framed.

My questions is what should a trip be called as a foul and what is the proper signal?

Thanks

Nevadaref Sun Nov 30, 2008 08:55pm

Blocking under NFHS rules.

10-6-1 . . .
A player shall not hold, push, charge, trip or impede the progress
of an opponent by extending arm(s), shoulder(s), hip(s) or knee(s), or by
bending his/her body into other than a normal position; nor use any rough tactics.

Coltdoggs Sun Nov 30, 2008 08:59pm

What Nevada said....signal a block.

wrwom Sun Nov 30, 2008 09:00pm

Thanks

If I had read 4-7-1 carefully I might have figured that out, once you posted it I reread the definition of a block and see how it fits. Guess you have to be careful about what you "learn" on YouTube!

refnrev Sun Nov 30, 2008 09:16pm

wrwom,
Welcome to the forum. We hope you enjoy officiating as much as the rest of us do. Ignore your video. It's wrong. And he just signaled a kick.

eyezen Sun Nov 30, 2008 09:19pm

1) As others have said proper NFHS signal is a block or push - whatever is appropriate

2) NCAA (Appendix VII) is the trip, which is the same as the kick

3) In regards to the video... O...M...G

HawkeyeCubP Sun Nov 30, 2008 09:43pm

When, under any rule set, can the second example of a player tripping another player during a live ball be a "technical" foul?

referee99 Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:02pm

the funny thing is, this looks like one of the videos by "Expert Village". Hilarious how the "expert" videos are consistenly, disasterously, wrong. I concur, OMG all the way.

JerzeeRef Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:10pm

Keeping it simple and without writing the entire definition of NFHS 4-19-5 a thru e, a tecnical in a nut shell is:
A foul by a non player.
A non contact foul by a player.
An intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead.
Because of the live ball in the video you could have a common, an intentional, a flagrant or a flagrant intentional.

SethPDX Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 554161)
the funny thing is, this looks like one of the videos by "Expert Village". Hilarious how the "expert" videos are consistenly, disasterously, wrong. I concur, OMG all the way.

There was a series of Expert Village baseball umpiring videos we laughed about for a few days on another board. These "expert" videos are only good for showing what NOT to do.

Didn't know you got a "side out" after a foul...

BillyMac Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:21pm

Old Habits Are Hard To Break ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltdoggs (Post 554129)
What Nevada said. Signal a block.

Be sure to use your open hands on your hips, not your fists. You're new, so it should be easy for you to start doing it, and keep doing it, the correct way. For some reason, twenty-eight years ago, I started using my fists on my hips, and even though I know it's wrong, I'm still doing it, at the site of the foul, today. By the time I reach the reporting table, I remember, and use my open hands on my hips.

wrwom Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:28pm

It is an ExpertVillage video

Nevadaref Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 554171)
Be sure to use your open hands on your hips, not your fists. You're new, so it should be easy for you to start doing it, and keep doing it, the correct way. For some reason, twenty-eight years ago, I started using my fists on my hips, and even though I know it's wrong, I'm still doing it, at the site of the foul, today. By the time I reach the reporting table, I remember, and use my open hands on my hips.

NCAAW uses the closed fists.

zm1283 Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:39pm

The video is obviously wrong in many ways, but doesn't he contradict himself several times? I think he said that a non-deliberate trip is a violation (Huh?), but an intentional trip is a regular foul...then he also said at one point that it's a technical foul.

Those videos are bad.

JRutledge Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 554171)

A lot of local areas do not care how you signal a block as it relates to the fists or the open hands. This certainly does not apply across the board.

Peace