The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 10:20pm
In Time Out

pass to self, dunk

Ok I know some people don't like the NBA here but I just wanted to see if this was legal in HS which I don't think it is.
David Lee of the Knicks dribbled down the court(no defense, it was the Warriors) passed the ball to himself in the air and then jumped up, caught it and dunked it. Legal in HS?

Also, could a player be dribbling and while dribbling hit the ball hard downward so it bounces up and then dunks it.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

depends . . .

If he taps it in the air to himself with one hand, without holding the ball, then it's legal.

Same for the big bounce - it's legal if he just pushes the ball down hard without grabbing it.

In high school you can't be called for traveling if you're dribbling, no matter how high the ball goes or how many steps you take.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetotheedge View Post
If he taps it in the air to himself with one hand, without holding the ball, then it's legal.
Are you sure about that?
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'm never sure about anything . . .

I was basing what I said on these rules:

Fundamental Rule #6: "It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble."

4-15 Art. 4: The dribble ends when: (a, b) the dribbler catches the ball or causes or allows it to come to rest in his hand or hands; (c) the dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands; (d) the dribbler loses control because the ball touches or is touched by an opponent; (e) the ball becomes dead [e.g. out-of-bounds; team control foul; time expires]

4-15 Art. 2: you may bat the ball into the air during a dribble if you allow it to hit the floor before touching it again.

So I think it could be OK or not.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetotheedge View Post
4-15 Art. 2: you may bat the ball into the air during a dribble if you allow it to hit the floor before touching it again.

So I think it could be OK or not.
That's a much better answer.

It may be an illegal dribble. It depends upon what the player did with his feet during the time that the ball was in the air.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 12:32am
In Time Out

here is the video NBA.com: Video

about 1 min15 in.
The warriors believe in using only two defenders on a screen and roll. sigh. Why the NBA gives them 4 road games in five days is another matter but I digress.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 01:14am
We don't rent pigs

NFHS illegal dribble

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

That's an illegal dribble in a HS game.
I had to watch it several times using the pause button to get this analysis.

The following analyzes the action under NFHS rules. I have no idea about the NBA ruling, nor do I care. I am not saying that the NBA officials were incorrect. I am simply not commenting on that at all.

1:17 on the video: The player ends his dribble by grasping the ball with two hands at the top of the FT semicircle. At this time his LEFT FOOT is on the floor and his right foot is in the air. So his LEFT FOOT will be his pivot when the other foot touches. The right foot comes down just inside the FT line as the player has let go of the ball with his left hand and is pushing it upward with his right hand. The ball is released into the air and his left foot comes off the floor while the right foot is still in contact with the floor. This constitutes the player lifting his pivot foot. If he puts it back down, he must have either passed, shot, or dribbled before then. So if he were able to jump off his right foot at this moment without having his left foot touch the floor, then he could legally rise into the air, grab the ball, and dunk it. However, the player now steps with his left foot, touching the court between the dotted half of the FT circle and restricted area semicircle around the basket, and proceeds to jump off that foot by swinging his right foot forward (This foot does not touch the floor at this point), rise into the air, catch the ball, and dunk it. Under NFHS rules as soon as he touched the ball in the air after stepping with his pivot foot, he committed an illegal dribble violation (or a travel according to a silly new revision of a long standing case book play).

More garbage from the NFHS

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 07:32pm.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Ok I know some people don't like the NBA here but I just wanted to see if this was legal in HS which I don't think it is.
David Lee of the Knicks dribbled down the court(no defense, it was the Warriors) passed the ball to himself in the air and then jumped up, caught it and dunked it. Legal in HS?

Also, could a player be dribbling and while dribbling hit the ball hard downward so it bounces up and then dunks it.
The first play is legal if the ball is 'passed' off the backboard. The second play is legal.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:48am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I loved the Harrington "push" no call at ~ 1:30 mark......talk about getting open!