The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

A new one on me yesteday...

Happened yesterday, HS wreck ball...I am lead, shot goes up, caroms off the rim right to my partner who is at 3 point line, and not sure why, but he catches the ball.!!!!! Everyone stops for a second...looks at him.....and then he drops the ball to the ground and we play on. Should I have blown it dead and gone to the arrow?? I was dumbfounded.

I would have moved, but he is kind of new and he said his instinct was to catch it from all the years of playing. I suggested he try to work on that one pronto....lol
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness View Post
Happened yesterday, HS wreck ball...I am lead, shot goes up, caroms off the rim right to my partner who is at 3 point line, and not sure why, but he catches the ball.!!!!! Everyone stops for a second...looks at him.....and then he drops the ball to the ground and we play on. Should I have blown it dead and gone to the arrow?? I was dumbfounded.

I would have moved, but he is kind of new and he said his instinct was to catch it from all the years of playing. I suggested he try to work on that one pronto....lol

Going to the arrow makes sense to me.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:19am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness View Post

Pick the two players who are closest to him when he caught the ball, and on opposite teams, and have a mid-court jump ball between them at for possession.

In all seriousness, using the arrow is the way to go once the official gains possession. It's the only fair way to go, I think.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Pick the two players who are closest to him when he caught the ball, and on opposite teams, and have a mid-court jump ball between them at for possession.

In all seriousness, using the arrow is the way to go once the official gains possession. It's the only fair way to go, I think.
What if the 2 players were A1 and A2?

Too funny, OP!
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
What if the 2 players were A1 and A2?

Too funny, OP!
I thought of that!
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought of that!
Ha, missed it! No more playing on the net while trying to work for me today!
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I've seen it twice...

I've had two partners catch a ball passed directly to him and deflected right to him, both as sheer reflex actions. One partner killed the play and gave a throw in to the team last in control. One killed it and went to the AP arrow.

During the first (8th grade), we were being observed, and the observer told partner to drop the ball, move away and continue play because we are part of the court, and we wouldn't blow the whistle if the ball bounced off of us...

During the second, (adult) I gave my .02 based on the first, and partner went with the AP b/c he felt it was unfair to return possession when there was no possession upon his catch.... nobody argued the decision. I didn't press it any further.

I like the "drop it and play on" theory, unless I blow the whistle. Then I think that unless one team would clearly have regained possession, we go to the arrow via inadvertent whistle.

Z
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
I've had two partners catch a ball passed directly to him and deflected right to him, both as sheer reflex actions. One partner killed the play and gave a throw in to the team last in control. One killed it and went to the AP arrow.

During the first (8th grade), we were being observed, and the observer told partner to drop the ball, move away and continue play because we are part of the court, and we wouldn't blow the whistle if the ball bounced off of us...

During the second, (adult) I gave my .02 based on the first, and partner went with the AP b/c he felt it was unfair to return possession when there was no possession upon his catch.... nobody argued the decision. I didn't press it any further.

I like the "drop it and play on" theory, unless I blow the whistle. Then I think that unless one team would clearly have regained possession, we go to the arrow via inadvertent whistle.

Z
It's really simple. Either drop it and play on, or, if you go to the whistle, you have to go to POI. That means if there was team control that team gets a throw-in. If there was no team control, go with an AP throw-in.

There's no rules support at all for "unless one team would clearly have regained possession..."
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:04am
Ch1town

Quote:
I've had two partners catch a ball passed directly to him and deflected right to him, both as sheer reflex actions.
No disrespect but I'd like to think inexperience is more of a factor than reflex. See below

Quote:
During the first (8th grade)...

During the second, (adult)...
Try to avoid contacting or being contacted by live balls.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Try to avoid contacting or being contacted by live balls.
Ha!
I am willing to bet both officials already understand that procedure.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:16am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Ha!
I am willing to bet both officials already understand that procedure.
Originally Posted by zeedonk

Maybe the quality, rules knowledge & experience level of officials that work those levels are different in your area than here
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk

Maybe the quality, rules knowledge & experience level of officials that work those levels are different in your area than here
Could be.
Friday night I worked a 7th and 8th grade boys' double with a DII official.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:36am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Could be.
Friday night I worked a 7th and 8th grade boys' double with a DII official.
Excellent, all levels deserve quality officials!! But I'm sure you & your partner were an exception to what the MS generally gets. You know, seeing how HS & DII are barely underway, if at all.
I highly doubt that particular crew has many more MS assignments on their calendar...

I was just saying who catches a live ball?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Excellent, all levels deserve quality officials!! But I'm sure you & your partner were an exception to what the MS generally gets. You know, seeing how HS & DII are barely underway, if at all.
I highly doubt that particular crew has many more MS assignments on their calendar...

I was just saying who catches a live ball?
Well, I have as the lead standing beyond the baseline
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:51am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Well, I have as the lead standing beyond the baseline
Cool... to each his/her own. I tend to let those hit the cheerleaders