The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Offensive Foul Reminder (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50000-offensive-foul-reminder.html)

johnyd Sun Nov 23, 2008 02:18pm

Offensive Foul Reminder

OK, I need my yearly reminder, when do we shoot and when do we NOT shoot on an offensive foul? NFHS please.

BillyMac Sun Nov 23, 2008 02:25pm

I Find This Thread Offensive ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnyd (Post 552619)
OK, I need my yearly reminder, when do we shoot and when do we NOT shoot on an offensive foul? NFHS please.

I don't believe that the NFHS defines an offensive foul. Do you mean a team control foul, or player control foul (player control fouls can actually be thought of as a subset of team control fouls)? Easy answer. You never shoot team control, and thus, player control fouls.

And remember, that under NFHS rules, there is no team control during a throwin, so any common foul that occurs before team control is established after a throwin, is a common foul that is handled like any other common foul; before bonus, bonus, or double bonus.

JugglingReferee Sun Nov 23, 2008 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 552621)
I don't believe that the NFHS defines an offensive foul. Do you mean a team control foul, or player control foul (player control fouls can actually be thought of as a subset of team control fouls)? Easy answer. You never shoot team control, and thus, player control fouls.

And remember, that under NFHS rules, there is no team control during a throwin, so any common foul that occurs before team control is established after a throwin, is a common foul that is handled like any other common foul; before bonus, bonus, or double bonus.

What is the double bonus? I don't recall reading that in the book. I thought I did read automatic bonus, though. :p

BillyMac Sun Nov 23, 2008 03:40pm

It's Also What I Want My Boss To Give Me for The Holiday ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 552624)
What is the double bonus? I don't recall reading that in the book. I thought I did read automatic bonus, though.

Our local interpreter has told us, when we're shooting two shoots for a common foul on, or after, the tenth foul against the opponent, for the lead to verbalize, "Double bonus. Two shots", as he, or she, administers the first of the two free throws. We only do this the first time we reach the double bonus, for each team, in each half, a maximum or four times. Of course, I hope that we don't have to resort to doing this four times, or its been a long game, at least forty fouls called.

Adam Sun Nov 23, 2008 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnyd (Post 552619)

Assuming you mean "team control" or "player control" by "offensive," the answer is never. The key is to know when there is player and team control. Whenever there is player control, you have Team control, so we can ignore the PC part for this discussion.

There is no team control during a throwin or a try for goal, and those are the two most common times (along with immediately after them prior to a team gaining control) when a team considered to be on "offense" will commit a foul that is not considered team control.

BillyMac Sun Nov 23, 2008 03:48pm

I Still Find This Thread Offensive ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 552629)
Assuming you mean "team control" or "player control" by "offensive," the answer is never. The key is to know when there is player and team control. Whenever there is player control, you have Team control, so we can ignore the PC part for this discussion.There is no team control during a throwin or a try for goal, and those are the two most common times (along with immediately after them prior to a team gaining control) when a team considered to be on "offense" will commit a foul that is not considered team control.

Good explanation Snaqwells.

I believe that the most common example of a team control foul, thus no free throws, involves an illegal screen. A1 dribbles his defender, B1, into screener A2, who moves to "hip" the defender, thus freeing A1 from his defender. Since A1 had player control at the time of the illegal screen, there was also team control, so B1 will not get to shoot free throws even if we were in the bonus, or double bonus (see my above post). Team B will get a throw in at the closest spot to the foul (not the closest spot to the ball).

Adam Sun Nov 23, 2008 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 552631)
Good explanation Snaqwells.

I believe that the most common example of a team control foul, thus no free throws, involves an illegal screen. A1 dribbles his defender, B1, into screener A2, who moves to "hip" the defender, thus freeing A1 from his defender. Since A1 had player control at the time of the illegal screen, there was also team control, so B1 will not get to shoot free throws even if we were in the bonus, or double bonus (see my above post). Team B will get a throw in at the closest spot to the foul (not the closest spot to the ball).

Next common would be the pass and crash; no player control, but team control is continuous on a pass.

BillyMac Sun Nov 23, 2008 04:03pm

Snaqwells Must Have Stayed At A Holiday Inn Express Last Night ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ;552632
Next common would be the pass and crash; no player control, but team control is continuous on a pass.

Wow. That's amazing. Wow, again.

And I no longer find this thread offensive. It's become interesting. This is getting me ready for my first high school scrimmages next week. Nice job Snaqwells. Keep up the good work. Even us veterans need reminders every once in a while.

just another ref Sun Nov 23, 2008 05:00pm

The question is why we still have player control fouls. The player with control is part of the team with control, the penalty is the same, so..........

BillyMac Sun Nov 23, 2008 05:17pm

"Things that make you go hmmmm..." (Arsenio Hall)

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 552653)
The question is why we still have player control fouls. The player with control is part of the team with control, the penalty is the same, so.

Good question. I've wondered the same thing myself. Is there a real need for both? Seriously. Inquiring minds want to know.

jdw3018 Sun Nov 23, 2008 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 552653)
The question is why we still have player control fouls. The player with control is part of the team with control, the penalty is the same, so..........

Not quite...a PC foul cancels a made basket even if the try is in flight. A team control foul while a try is in flight does not cancel a made basket.

BillyMac Sun Nov 23, 2008 06:10pm

That Holiday Inn Express Must Have Been Busy Last Night ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 552663)
Not quite. A PC foul cancels a made basket even if the try is in flight. A team control foul while a try is in flight does not cancel a made basket.

Nice catch jdw3018. This won't make me, or Arsenio, go hmmmm anymore.

zm1283 Sun Nov 23, 2008 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 552663)
Not quite...a PC foul cancels a made basket even if the try is in flight. A team control foul while a try is in flight does not cancel a made basket.

But you can't have team control while a try is in flight, thus no team control fouls after the ball is released on a try.

BillyMac Sun Nov 23, 2008 07:26pm

The Plot Thickens ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 552666)
But you can't have team control while a try is in flight, thus no team control fouls after the ball is released on a try.

A1 shoots, ball is in flight, A2 fouls B1 during boxing out action, ball does/doesn't go in, no team control foul, B1 shoots free throws down the other end if Team B is in the bonus, or double bonus.

Sounds good to me. Nice job zm1283. So, again, is there a need to distinguish between a player control foul and a team control foul? We go back to this being a thing that make you go hmmmm...

jdw3018 Sun Nov 23, 2008 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 552666)

Quite excellent point. And again, an even better reason to have a separate definition for player control fouls.