The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Offensive Foul Reminder (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50000-offensive-foul-reminder.html)

Kelvin green Sun Nov 23, 2008 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 552656)
Good question. I've wondered the same thing myself. Is there a real need for both? Seriously. Inquiring minds want to know.

The way NFHS rules are written... Team control ends when a shot is taken, player control ends when the whole airborne shooter thing is done...

BillyMac Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:17pm

Sign At Holiday Inn Express Last Night: No Vacancy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green (Post 552686)
The way NFHS rules are written... Team control ends when a shot is taken, player control ends when the whole airborne shooter thing is done...

Bingo. Thanks. Now I can stop saying "hmmmm". My family was starting to wonder about me.

Back In The Saddle Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 552696)
Bingo. Thanks. Now I can stop saying "hmmmm". My family was starting to wonder about me.

It's sweet that you consider us family. ;)

mbyron Mon Nov 24, 2008 07:33am

Quote:

This is the best reason to stop thinking that PC fouls are a proper subset of TC fouls. It's true that player control entails team control; the fouls are not related in the same way.

Scrapper1 Mon Nov 24, 2008 09:14am

Quote:

Kelvin, the part in red is simply not true. Player control ends when the try is released. If the airborne shooter is charged with a common foul, we consider it a player control foul; even though there technically is not team or player control.

(This, BTW, is also my solution for the folks who want team control fouls during the throw-in.)

rockyroad Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 552683)
Quite excellent point. And again, an even better reason to have a separate definition for player control fouls.

Couldn't we just add the airborne shooter clause to the Team Control section, and thus get rid of the PC foul altogether?

jdw3018 Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 552757)
Couldn't we just add the airborne shooter clause to the Team Control section, and thus get rid of the PC foul altogether?

Personally, I like the PC foul because it comes with some separate definitions of what a player with control of the ball is responsible for vs. a player without the ball. Time and distance differences, etc.

We could do what you're talking about, but why?