The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Inquiring minds part 2

A1 on a spot throw in. A1 sets ball on the floor (oob, next to his feet) and wipes his hands off on his socks. B1 reaches across the "plane" and grabs the ball. Has B1 done anything wrong? Call, no call?
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 12:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Thought My Play Was Odd ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
A1 on a spot throw in. A1 sets ball on the floor (oob, next to his feet) and wipes his hands off on his socks. B1 reaches across the "plane" and grabs the ball. Has B1 done anything wrong? Call, no call?
The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin before the ball has been released on a throw-in pass, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded.

By setting the ball on the floor, A1 has, indeed, released the ball, however, I don't believe that there has been a throwin pass.

Has A1 done anything wrong?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Oh good heavens, here we go again.

I'll tell you what, I solemnly swear not to get into any long-winded arguments about whether or not A1's action is a pass or not, if somebody promises to find A1 and ***** slap him into a coma for causing so much trouble while wiping his hands on his socks.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Oh good heavens, here we go again.

I'll tell you what, I solemnly swear not to get into any long-winded arguments about whether or not A1's action is a pass or not, if somebody promises to find A1 and ***** slap him into a coma for causing so much trouble while wiping his hands on his socks.
Agreed! And kick him while he is down as well!

-Josh
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

The play is most similar to this. I would call a delay of game warning on Team B.

*7.5.1 SITUATION B:
Team A does not break the huddle after the second horn
for a 60-second time-out. The official puts the ball down at the designated spot
and begins the five-second count. The administering official is between four and
five on the count when Team B reaches over the boundary and grabs the ball.

RULING:
Delay-of-game warning on Team B for reaching across the plane. No
Team A member ever possessed the ball for the throw-in; therefore, a technical
foul would not be assessed. (9-2 Penalty 3)

Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 07:43am
Official & Member

I agree with the call for DELAY, but what about the action of placing the ball on the floor? I don't think your Sit. applies in that regard. Any argument for a throw in violation by A1 for his action, thus making the reach across irrelevant? Is that what BITS is referring to?

I wish these minds would stop inquiring. It IS the weekend. These make my head hurt.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 10:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm worrried about my 401(K) ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
7.5.1 SITUATION B
Great citation Nevadaref. I thought that this would end the thread until I read Bad Zebra's post after yours. In the citation, it states that, "No Team A member ever possessed the ball for the throw-in; therefore, a technical foul would not be assessed". However, in the original post case, the Team A player did have the ball at his disposal for a throwin. Close, but no cigar, yet.

Great citation, followed by a great followup question. No off topic posts, no images, no name calling, no inside jokes. I think that this is what the moderators were asking for several weeks ago, and this is what Scrapper1 predicted would happen.

Scrapper1: Has the stock market bottomed out yet?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 11:23am.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 10:53am
Official & Member

OK. Here we go.

Rule 9-2-2: The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out of bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (in bounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched.

Penalty: The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw in at the original throw in spot.

So then, knucklehead A1 violated by placing the ball out of bounds untouched to dry his hands. TWEET! Dead Ball...reach across is irrelevant (ball is dead). B throw in the other way.

Maybe he deserved the violation for picking a live ball opportunity to dry his hands? In any event, this is a lot of thought for a Saturday morning.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Yeah but A1 can also bounce the ball OOB prior to the pass inbounds....so if he sits it down you call a violation but he drops it and it bounces twice while he wipes his hands you dont?

No violation... Delay of game
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 11:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Plot Thickens ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Yeah but A1 can also bounce the ball OOB prior to the pass inbounds. So if he sits it down you call a violation but he drops it and it bounces twice while he wipes his hands you don't? No violation. Delay of game
Another monkey wrench is thrown into the Forum machine. This is great, but, I'm just going to sit back and watch. I don't want to get hurt.

Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 11:53am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Yeah but A1 can also bounce the ball OOB prior to the pass inbounds....
Wasn't aware of that. Citation or case?
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Wasn't aware of that. Citation or case?
A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not traveling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin.

I'm sure that someone will post the real citation in a few minutes.

Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 12:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Got It ...

NFHS 9.2.2 Situation D: A1 dribbles the ball on floor on the out-of-bounds area before making a throw-in. Ruling: Legal, a player may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throw-in.

Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 12:37pm
Official & Member

Jeez Louise...can this get any more muddled?

Well...there we have it. Seems the Fed allowed this case to fly in the face of it's own rule. Luckily, in the 8 years I've been doing HS ball, no one has ever dribbled a throw in I was administering. Not sure what I would have done...

With regard to the OP then, we need to debate whether placing a ball OB is materially different than bouncing it. Doesn't seem like a rule book is going to help here. Headache seems to be coming back.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 12:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"No Dog In This Fight" (Michael Vick), Remember Him ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Headache seems to be coming back.
Do what I'm doing. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.