The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

I reffed a men's league last night, very competitive, young guys, good ball. My partner who I like personally, has a habit of being nonchalant and disinterested in games that I've worked with him. He's a fair official, bad mechanics, good judgement, but goofs around too much. I'm old enough to be his father yet as new trail in transition, I cross the division line and he's maybe a step ahead of me. Look, I do plenty of ball and don't run all the time in rec leagues, but I take the game seriously. I chastised him a few times last night and as the game got a little chippy, told him to focus. Half the time when I glanced over at him he's not even looking at the court.

My question is I'm tempted to call my assignor about him. He won't punish him, but he needs to shape up. I've never remotely considered doing this to anyone. I've certainly had my share of lousy partners, but never had anyone goof around and act bored and aloof to the game.

I had to vent. Probably won't say a thing but it pissed me off.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

It would piss me off too.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
..... I'm tempted to call my assignor about him. He won't punish him, but he needs to shape up. I've never remotely considered doing this to anyone.
Don't call the assignor to complain about the guy. Call the assignor to tell him that you would prefer NOT to work with this guy again. If the assignor asks (likely) state your reasons. Leave it at that. I've not had to do this with anyone, but I've been close. As far as I know, no one has called about me