The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Credibility....

Gotta love it when a coach is griping about what I'm calling or not calling....then he says..."Give me a :20 timeout".

Sure coach...I'll get right on that!

How about you focus on stopping the kid who has just hit his 8th 3-pointer, uncontested against your team instead of worring about what I'm doing....

So what are some funny one's you've heard recently that made you want to laugh....
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

The usual

Varsity scrimmage....I got a textbook player control foul. Coach then insists that defense cannot move or its "automatic foul" on defender. I shrug and think maybe I could coach varsity basketball....
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

You're over qualified.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

A10 is dribbling the ball in the backcourt. A50 is in the lane. HEY THAT's THREE SECONDS!
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

A1, while holding the ball, jumps in the air and lands holding the ball. Easy travel call. Coach says "How is that a travel".
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 12:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ? Mythbusters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
I got a textbook player control foul. Coach then insists that defense cannot move or its "automatic foul" on defender.
A defensive player does not have to remain stationary to take a charge. A defender may turn away or duck to absorb contact, provided he or she has already established legal guarding position, which is both feet on the playing court and facing the opponent. The defender can always move backwards or sideways to maintain a legal guarding position and may even have one or both feet off the playing court when contact occurs. That player may legally rise vertically. If the defender is moving forward, then the contact is caused by the defender, which is a blocking foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 12:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05 View Post
A10 is dribbling the ball in the backcourt. A50 is in the lane. HEY THAT's THREE SECONDS!
The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. There is a three-second count during an interrupted dribble. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
A1, while holding the ball, jumps in the air and lands holding the ball. Easy travel call. Coach says "How is that a travel".
The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or call a timeout. If the player is flat on his or her back, that player may sit up without violating.

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 12:11pm.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yes, We Have No Bananas, We Have No Bananas Today ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
I got a textbook player control foul. Coach then insists that defense cannot move or its "automatic foul" on defender.
Let's see. I've got personal, common, intentional, flagrant, technical, direct, indirect, player control, team control, double, false double, simultaneous, multiple, false multiple, team, and unsporting fouls. I can't seem to find automatic foul anywhere in Rule 4 Definitions. Is it hidden somewhere in Rule 10 Fouls and Penalties?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 12:12pm.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 12:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

BJV. Scrum for a loose ball in the corner in front of me (lead). Black grabs the ball as he's falling down, get's control, then lands on his two rear cheeks. I whistle traveling. As I'm ready to give the ball to white, coach (who had previously taken varsity teams in another part of the state to the state tournament) for black is trying to tell me his cheek becomes his pivot when he's sitting.

I couldn't help myself. I just laughed (didn't say a word).

Coach: "I'm serious, his cheek becomes his pivot."

Me: " "

I just put the ball in play.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 01:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
BJV. Scrum for a loose ball in the corner in front of me (lead). Black grabs the ball as he's falling down, get's control, then lands on his two rear cheeks. I whistle traveling. As I'm ready to give the ball to white, coach (who had previously taken varsity teams in another part of the state to the state tournament) for black is trying to tell me his cheek becomes his pivot when he's sitting.

I couldn't help myself. I just laughed (didn't say a word).

Coach: "I'm serious, his cheek becomes his pivot."

Me: " "

I just put the ball in play.
I had a kid once who was sitting upright on the floor holding the ball and started to wiggle over a few inches. I called a travel. The coach asked me why that was a travel. My reply - "He moved his pivot cheek, coach". The coach chuckled and didn't say anything else the rest of the game.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

8th G Boys CYO: Baseline throw in for A. I administer throw in sideline near B bench. Ball in play, shot goes up- From B's bench (asst coach) as the ball is in the air: "3 seconds!" Clang off the rim ball high in air: "3 seconds (head coach- I recognize the voices) tip, tip, tip, tip (Jeez somebody grab the dang thing) "3 seconds!" (both coaches). Ball finally controlled by B and A clears to play D- I hear "Guys no 3 seconds without possession" from A's bench-> B coaches, in unison, "Oh"....

As I run by A1's bench it's all I can do to not high-5 the coach... I never said a word to either...
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I cant decide if this is intentionally or unintentionally the funniest post I have seen in a while... A10 and A50. That is great (of course you probably are just referring to their jersey numbers, but I still think A50 is hillarious).
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A10, and A50, Right On ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaref View Post
I cant decide if this is intentionally or unintentionally the funniest post I have seen in a while... A10 and A50. That is great (of course you probably are just referring to their jersey numbers, but I still think A50 is hillarious).
Just finished my IAABO Refresher Exam. One question was about A6, and A7, having identical numbers. They're not identical, they're illegal. Duh.

Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A3 is OOB with the ball for a throw-in from the end line adjacent to the frontcourt. A5 is in the lane. The count gets to 4 and the HC for Team B is hollering for three seconds. I'm the C standing right next to him. I say, "Can we let them get the ball inbounds first?"

Coach turns to me and asks, "Is that the rule?"