The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

What do you got ?

#1.....Competive and decent 7th grade game. Team A scores. Team B player #1 grabs the ball goes OOB. I start the 5 second count. Player #1 then passes to Player #2 who then runs directly OOB to restart the throw in. I call travelling, it was about 3 big steps before Player #2 went OOB. Some watching were of the opinion I should have let them "restart the throw in". Was I OOO ?
What do you think ?

#2.....Same game , same teams...Team A scores. Team B grabs the ball and looks to throw the ball in. He then realizes he is not OOB yet so he backs up a step and then completes the throw in. I had nothing......Some were of the thought I called one I needed to call the other .

My thinking is along the lines of if I haven't started my 5 second count I have nothing-if I have started my count I have something. Thoughts please....
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:36am
Ch1town

At that level it really depends. Only the working officials know the particulars, time & score, abilities of both teams, what's good for that game...

#1. You said competitive, so I'd probably call it & give a brief explanation (NOT a clinic - 10 seconds or less) to the offender about what happened & how to avoid it in the future. Coaches, ADs & parents love that as the kids are still in the learning phase.

#2 Why not let the kid set up properly? It's not like they were completely OOB & stepped onto the court... plus you never had a count going. I'm passing on that too.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Depending on the competition and level:

#1 Call it

#2 I don't believe the player has committed a violation unless they are purposely trying to confuse the defense.

Both these plays are really HTBT plays.

-Josh
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good calls both times.

Who was complaining? Fans? Coaches? An evaluator?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

As someone who has worked kids rec at all levels for more years than I'd like to admit, I can tell you that you have to call the first one. That's how kids learn. This is SOP in our program.

You did the right thing in the second instance, also.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Good calls both times.

Who was complaining? Fans? Coaches? An evaluator?
Fans and coaches always complain.

But partner and a ref watching our game thought I'd should have let the kid reload.

From the comments on the thread so far,HTBT and all, I nailed both of them and its all good.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 01:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Fans and coaches always complain.

But partner and a ref watching our game thought I'd should have let the kid reload.

From the comments on the thread so far,HTBT and all, I nailed both of them and its all good.
Partner shouldn't have seen it.

If you're talking three steps in bounds, easy call. If the receiver is very nearly OOB before catching it, and has maybe a foot just inside the line when he catches, I might let him reload.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Gotta call #1. Can't think of any reasoning not to call it unless it is absolutely a beginner league and one of the first games.

#2, No call. There is no time limit for them to get OOB to start the throwin...just 5 seconds to release the throwin. However, if they actually throw it "in" from inbounds...violation for an illegal throwin (not from OOB). Again, if it were a beginner league, I'd probably stop them and make sure they knew where they had to be to make a throwin.