The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Get out of the huddle and let's go!

With the emphasis on getting teams out of the huddle and ready to play after timeouts & intermissions, I'd like to hear how you all are managing that. After "First horn coach, let's go!" what are you doing if they aren't breaking huddle and heading out to the floor? Anything? Or just go directly to RPP?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post
With the emphasis on getting teams out of the huddle and ready to play after timeouts & intermissions, I'd like to hear how you all are managing that. After "First horn coach, let's go!" what are you doing if they aren't breaking huddle and heading out to the floor? Anything? Or just go directly to RPP?
In the captain's meeting, I let the teams know we are starting immediately after the second horn so be ready. My partner(s) and I start up right away after the second horn (within reason of course).

-Josh
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 05:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Pregame: "Coach, the state's really on our a$$es this year to get going on the 2nd horn. I need you to send the kids out on the first horn. Don't worry, we'll be there to remind you."

As soon as the first horn sounds, interrupt their huddle and remind them to go.

Don't give much leeway here before going RPP. Here, though, the coaches are very good about this at the high school level, so I haven't done an RPP since moving to CO.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post
After "First horn coach, let's go!"
Then it really gets rough, I'm dipping in that huddle making myself known, talking to the assistant coach telling them we are ready to go. "NEED FIVE AT THE NEXT HORN COACH" "YOUR BALL BASELINE BLUE" or "YOUR ON DEFENSE BLUE" especially early in the game so I don't have an issue later.

Thus far [3 games] it hasn't been an issue, we spend a couple of sentences on it with the captains and the coachs per-game, and make it clear that we are Playing on the Second Whistle and you need to be out on the court ready to go.

Now admittedly I have not had a game end up closer than 30 points yet so it waits to be seen if in a closer contest it is harder to get them out of the huddle and on the floor.

But the womens JUCO thus far has paid attention to us and we have things going smoothly, we will see this weekend I have a couple of JUCO womens games that coulde be close ones, and it is usually harder to get them up and going in those games.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

interesting huddle

Last week in a Mens Div III scrimage I had an interesting thing happen on end line inbounds in the front court
the team would huddle just out of bounds and then go get lined up -
I broke this huddle up immediately two reasons I want the ball in play and I'm not comfortable with a team holding a huddle out of bounds, I have not found anything illegal about it. I just do not want an issue with it.