The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

There is one every so often

Referee training Class
They are supposed to have read the books (rule and case) prior to the start of class,
we put them on the floor to evaluate them and see where we stand with them as a whole right off. We may split some out, after we do rules, if there are some that need special help or some that excel.

Start of third Quarter -
Team A inbounds the ball and player A2 gets confused and throws the ball toward Team B's basket, and is fouled by B'3. The throw goes in.

I kid you not, count the basket for team B and A2 goes to team A's line to shoot one shot since the basket counted.

Looks like we are going to have to spend some more time in definitions this year.

we also had the usual couple of blarges, the I got it, no, you got it no calls, and the guy who wanted to impress everyone - he Whacked the head instuctor for ... wait for it ... "holly **** these guy suck".
now mind you we were sitting at mid court table side not apart of either bench. I think film will be funny next week.

any fun stuff happen to you or others during your training class or stuff you saw when first starting out.

Last edited by OHBBREF; Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 04:12pm.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Referee training Class
and the guy who wanted to impress everyone - he Whacked the head instuctor for ... wait for it ... "holly **** these guy suck".
now mind you we were sitting at mid court table side not apart of either bench.
The head instructor says that out loud! Very poor.
(BTW "holy" and "a part" should be two words )

Quote:
Looks like we are going to have to spend some more time in definitions this year.
Yeah, make sure to take care of those guys who don't understand the definition of player location. We wouldn't want them instructing others incorrectly.

True or not??
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 05:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with Nevada, saying "these guys suck" is poor form for a head instructor. To add a swear word when saying it court side within ear shot of players and officials? Frankly, that's pretty low class.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'll tell this one on myself. (I think there was a similar situation in a thread a few weeks ago, but since it happened to me too I'll tell my version.)

First game of the basketball season, after doing a season of volleyball.

Coach: "Timeout!"
Me: "Tweet" Make the "T" sign for the timeout.

Partner looks at me like "what's going on?". Other coach "Did he just get a technical?".

Me: "No, Blue full timeout".

Partner: "What was the T for?"

Me: Red faced and realizing that I'm not longer reffing volleyball where "T" means timeout.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

How about instructor training class?.............very negative, very unprofessional.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Referee training Class
They are supposed to have read the books (rule and case) prior to the start of class,
we put them on the floor to evaluate them and see where we stand with them as a whole right off. We may split some out, after we do rules, if there are some that need special help or some that excel.

Start of third Quarter -
Team A inbounds the ball and player A2 gets confused and throws the ball toward Team B's basket, and is fouled by B'3. The throw goes in.

I kid you not, count the basket for team B and A2 goes to team A's line to shoot one shot since the basket counted.

we also had the usual couple of blarges, the I got it, no, you got it no calls, and the guy who wanted to impress everyone - he Whacked the head instuctor for ... wait for it ... "holly **** these guy suck".
now mind you we were sitting at mid court table side not apart of either bench. I think film will be funny next week.

any fun stuff happen to you or others during your training class or stuff you saw when first starting out.
Please explain how the kid getting fouled involves ft's period? I want to hear the rules on this.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Please explain how the kid getting fouled involves ft's period? I want to hear the rules on this.
Well they shouldn't. You know that and I know that and most here know that. But you have to understand the context of the OP. OHBBREF was sharing some of the interesting things one can see in these training sessions. Hopefully the purpose is to go over the situations that presented itself during the session so that the newbies can understand what went wrong. But reading about the attitude of the "head training instructor" one must wonder if they got any helpful instruction afterward but more likely it was done in a way that was more counterproductive than anything.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

the comment was out of line completely
the refrence was to the players not the guys working the game
and the instructor was out of line, and knows it and apologized.

however the session afterward was interesting with regard to discussing giving a "T" to observers, (after the apology).

yes there was and will be pleanty of helpful instruction.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post
I'll tell this one on myself. (I think there was a similar situation in a thread a few weeks ago, but since it happened to me too I'll tell my version.)

First game of the basketball season, after doing a season of volleyball.

Coach: "Timeout!"
Me: "Tweet" Make the "T" sign for the timeout.

Partner looks at me like "what's going on?". Other coach "Did he just get a technical?".

Me: "No, Blue full timeout".

Partner: "What was the T for?"

Me: Red faced and realizing that I'm not longer reffing volleyball where "T" means timeout.
My partner and I had our first games of the season last night, and he "T'd" up three or four timeouts. Poor guy was still in volleyball form as well. I was confused the first time because he was right next to the bench and I thought maybe the coach had said something to him until he looked down at his hands and hung his head with a smile on his face.