The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

I am not saying the others aren't entertainment also.

I realize that. The only reason I would ever call in the NBA would be for the money. Not the enjoyment and not for the game. Best players in the world or not. The game has become NOT entertaining to me. Too much one on one, and whats wrong with defense.. As far as speeding the game up faster is not always better. Of the rules you mentioned I do not beleive they have been good for the game. In retrospect some have even lessoned the game in my opinion. One shot T's and piont of interruption, I beleive has increased bad behavior and unsportsmanlike act.

As far as HS level being only entertainment in some areas. That is sad to me then. HS sports were bought about to teach many different aspects of life not just winning and losing. There is sportsmanship, discipline to name a few.

As far as calling a HS Varsity girls game. I have enjoyed soem of them more than the caollege games I have called. It all depends on who is playing.

Old Thu May 23, 2002, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Hey, Meridian actually won some games last year.
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Self,

Why would a one shot T and play at point of interruption increase bad behavior?
In my opinion it is the two shot plus ball penalty that as caused alot of the problems. I know officials at the HS level let a lot of garbage go because the penalty is too stiff. When a T causes a 4-5 point swing we think hard about calling T's in a two point ball game.

If the T is one shot and point of interruption, it says to the player and coach I have heard enough you got the foul, and youre half way out the door. They pick up the second one they are out of the game and cant cause problems but you have only penalized their team a potential total of two points not 4 shots plus two posessions (unless back to back T's)
The big penalty is post game since in most areas an ejection buys a one game suspension as well.

Why do you think we are going back to a violation on swinging the elbows? the penalty was disproportionate and was rarely called.. If it was we called a travel or something else.

I will have to disagree with another point. It is not necessarily speeding up the game, but it is keeping the game moving that is the benefit of the rules that both the NCAA and NBA have adopted. The more dead time administering thins takes, the more players and coaches have a chance to complain, scream, and yell. The faster the ball is put back into play the less they can howl. The best rule change the NCAA has done, and I hope the NF adopts next year is the no shots on offensive fouls. You call an illegal screen, the ball goes back out of bounds and we play instaed of going all the way to the other end to shoot FTs ( eliminate the long switch in a two man crew, and the ball is back in play a lot faster)

although you are right on the lessons kids are supposed to learn, but the game is supposed to be fun (it's a game) we play the game for exercise, relaxation, and entertainment. We watch them for the same reasons.

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

IREF21-
Some simple words back at ya:
I appreciate the college game and the High School game of for what it is. The NBA in my opinion is high priced entertainment that I do not care to support. The superstars get the calls or no-calls more than the average player, because I as a consumer(If I paid to go see them) paid to see SHAQ, Tim Duncan, Jason Kidd, etc. play the game. The college game is entertainment also, High School game is entertainment also. But the officials in my opinion call the game.

In my opinion(again) with all the new extreme sports that are coming out, and the younger generation that follows them, the audience and the attendance may sway the advertisement dollar that direction.

AK ref SE
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Kelvin, You make some good points..

"Why would a one shot T and play at point of interruption increase bad behavior? In my opinion it is the two shot plus ball penalty that as caused alot of the problems. I know officials at the HS level let a lot of garbage go because the penalty is too stiff. When a T causes a 4-5 point swing we think hard about calling T's in a two point ball game." POINT TAKEN, I COULD SEE HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE.

"Why do you think we are going back to a violation on swinging the elbows? the penalty was disproportionate and was rarely called.. If it was we called a travel or something else." GOOD POINT I AGREE WITH THIS CHANGE.

"The best rule change the NCAA has done, and I hope the NF adopts next year is the no shots on offensive fouls. You call an illegal screen, the ball goes back out of bounds and we play instaed of going all the way to the other end to shoot FTs." NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE. I COULD SEE THE BENEFIT.

"the game is supposed to be fun (it's a game) we play the game for exercise, relaxation, and entertainment. We watch them for the same reasons." NO PROBLEM HERE EITHER.

I don't think we are that far apart, maybe just in a few ideals. I just really don't care for the NBA, maybe that just the bad taste in my mouth showing. The game is full of too many premadonna's and not enough quality. Maybe just as in the workplace where diversity has been pushe dfor its benefit(not sqaying I agree or disagree). There needs to be a push for it in the NBA, to help improve it...haha, like that would ever happen.

Old Thu May 23, 2002, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I think that the consumer dollar is the primary point. From an attendance standpoint, people will go where they are entertained and get the most utility for their money.

From an officiating standpoint, I would assume that different levels are called different ways based on expectations and rules. The NBA ratings and profit would suffer if the stars fouled out consistently in the first half. Therefore, the rules and the officiating are set up to avoid that happening. The NBA officials are a part of the NBA, therefore they are subject to the directives and rules of the company. May not be fair or ideal, but that is corporate America.

Personnaly, I hope someday to be good enough to call D1 and pro ball. I don't know that I will ever do it, but I want to master the profession well enough to know that I could.

Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-