The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

What do you have?

Lane violation on the second free throw and then a flagrant personal on the same kid for me.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 03:15pm
M.A.S.H.

Free-throw violation on the shooter.

Then, I've got a flagrant on the same player.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

But I only have a common foul on the same player, because without knowledge of a previously demonstrated pattern of play, the foul looks more like a mis-judgement/lack of coordination foul than a take-down IMHO

If the trail had killed the play on the offensive violation, the whole senerio could have been avoided.

Last edited by ranjo; Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 04:06pm.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post

But I only have a common foul on the same player, because without knowledge of a previously demonstrated pattern of play, the foul looks more like a mis-judgement/lack of coordination foul than a take-down IMHO

If the trail had killed the play on the offensive violation, the whole senerio could have been avoided.

I would agree with you if we hadn’t seen the young mans free throw attempts. He clearly seemed to be making a mockery of the game with his turn around fade away and one handed free throws. Didn’t look like he wanting to play the game the right way. Time to hit the showers kid.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 04:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I have four things.

1) valid free throw
2) free throw violation
3) trail official to be smacked upside the head for missing the violation
4) illegal chop block, 15 yard penalty
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

I have a kid that wouldn't have shot the second free throw if I was coaching. But I'm not a coach so I agree with the above posts, less the 15 yard penalty.

-Josh
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

I have a violation on the defense for the first free throw. Top lane occupied??? That should be an officials mistake. I agree with everyone else's evaluation, after the first free-throw.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 08:57pm
Administrator

Okay. I am going to take a different position on this play.

Yes, smack the T for not having a free throw violation by the FT shooter, A1, on the second FT.

Now, for the play near the division line. First, this looked like an intramural game at the 8th or 9th grade level, meaning that the skill level is not that great. Second, I agree that A1's attitude about the second FT did not look good. BUT, I watched the play five times in real time and another five times in slow motion. AND here is what I saw: A1 started to move to get in front of the dribbler B1; he did not obtain a legal guarding position with respect to B1. A1 did not turn and duck until B1 went airborne. Furthermore, I did not see any contact between A1 and B1. MEANING, I have nothing on this play. If there was contact it is a common foul for blocking foul by A1 on B1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 08:59pm. Reason: Correct grammar.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 09:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
MEANING, I have nothing on this play. If there was contact it is a common foul for blocking foul by A1 on B1.
Interesting. Isn't it nice to have the luxury of the video and to watch it over and over in our homes? Of course, when it happens live I wonder if anyone else notices the "little to no contact" that actually occurred. Regardless, it's gonna get a whistle! Wonder what the call actually was?
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Okay, maybe it's because I'm still learning the rules and haven't officiated a basketball game yet but I need help "seeing" what you all were talking about when you said a violation on the shooter for the 2nd FT attempt. I read 9-1 multiple times as well as rule 8. I'm quite sure I'm just missing it but would like to know what "it" is so I can learn and improve quicker.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
BUT, I watched the play five times in real time and another five times in slow motion. AND here is what I saw: A1 started to move to get in front of the dribbler B1; he did not obtain a legal guarding position with respect to B1. A1 did not turn and duck until B1 went airborne. Furthermore, I did not see any contact between A1 and B1. MEANING, I have nothing on this play. If there was contact it is a common foul for blocking foul by A1 on B1.

MTD, Sr.
I agree with Mark.

Dribbler/passer was airborne before defender "went low"
Defender knew he couldn't get LGP, so it looks like he tried to avoid contact by awkwardly falling.
There was no contact.

Nothing.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post

Okay, maybe it's because I'm still learning the rules and haven't officiated a basketball game yet but I need help "seeing" what you all were talking about when you said a violation on the shooter for the 2nd FT attempt. I read 9-1 multiple times as well as rule 8. I'm quite sure I'm just missing it but would like to know what "it" is so I can learn and improve quicker.
He left the half circle. 9-1
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Free throw Violation
Flagrant Technical. Mommy's little angel dove under the player for no apparent reason. He needs to learn how to act or sit his fat arse down
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 08:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarry View Post
Free throw Violation
Flagrant Technical. Mommy's little angel dove under the player for no apparent reason. He needs to learn how to act or sit his fat arse down
Larry, it's gotta be a personal, you can't call a technical for live ball contact. If flagrant, it's a flagrant personal.
It makes a difference on who shoots the free throws and where the ball is put back into play. Although in this case, the ball would be put back in play at close to the same place.

BTW, in real time, I'm going with flagrant on this.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 08:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I disagree with the thought there was no contact. I see dribbler's knee, at least, contacting the turd's head. On this play, it doesn't take much contact for the flagrant.