The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

New NCAA TF Rules

Hi, everyone. I haven't visited in at least a few months (school has been insane and, unfortunately, still prevents me from reffing basketball or football), but I start my scoring/timing season tomorrow and wanted to see if my understanding of the new TF rules was correct.

Women’s
•Player/Substitute technical fouls are all direct.
•Head coach technical fouls can be direct (charged to coach) or indirect (direct assessed to bench member).
•Bench technical fouls are direct for offending person (if identified) and indirect for head coach.
•All direct technical fouls count towards the bonus. Indirect technical fouls do not.
•Ejection after 1 flagrant foul, 2 direct technical fouls, 3 indirect technical fouls, or 1 direct & 2 indirect technical fouls. (F/DD/III/DII)
•All player/substitute technical fouls (direct) count towards the 5 fouls for disqualification. (PPPPI / PPPPD = DQ)
•Administrative technical fouls are not charged to individuals for ejection, but do count towards the bonus.

Men’s
•Class A technical fouls are assessed for unsportsmanlike conduct.
•Class A technical fouls count towards the bonus and the 5 fouls for disqualification.
•Class B technical fouls are assessed for less serious infractions.
•Class B technical fouls do not count towards the bonus or to the 5 fouls for disqualification. (PPPPA = DQ, PPPPB = still plays)
•When a member of the bench personnel is assessed a technical foul (Class A/Class B), a Class B technical foul is assessed to the head coach.
•Ejection after 1 flagrant foul, 2 Class A technical fouls, 3 Class B technical fouls, or 1 Class A and 2 Class B technical fouls. (F/AA/BBB/ABB).
•Special case – leaving the bench but not participating in a fight – ejection with a Class B technical foul.

Any comments or corrections to either list would be greatly appreciated. I hope everyone is having a great start to their seasons!!
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAW seems right. It's essentially the same as FED rules.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

On women's it seems easier to me to think of it as: 1 flagrant, 2 directs, or a combination of any three of any type.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 06:42am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter View Post
Men’s
•When a member of the bench personnel is assessed a technical foul (Class A/Class B), a Class B technical foul is assessed to the head coach.
•Special case – leaving the bench but not participating in a fight – ejection with a Class B technical foul.
I'm not sure about these two. If somebody dunks in pre-game, I don't think the head coach gets a B for that. We didn't get new rulebooks this year, so I'll have to go re-read the new section online.

And in our meeting, it was said the player is ejected with no technical foul. So I'll double-check that one too and check back in tonight.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'm not sure about these two. If somebody dunks in pre-game, I don't think the head coach gets a B for that. We didn't get new rulebooks this year, so I'll have to go re-read the new section online.
Seems like you're right on this one - "Article 2" technical fouls are also charged to the coach, while "Article 1" TFs are not.

Quote:
And in our meeting, it was said the player is ejected with no technical foul. So I'll double-check that one too and check back in tonight.
Good call - I missed the "not" in the rulebook.