The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Lots of good advice. One thing I'll add is that coaches most often just want to be heard. So when a coach is trying to tell you something, even though you may not have a response for him, let him know he's been heard. A simple "Okay" or "I hear you" or a head nod lets the coach know you've heard him.

The flip side is that if he makes a comment, and he feels like you didn't hear him, he'll make it again. And then louder. And may keep escalating until he feels like you've actually heard what he had to say. At this point you've probably got a problem, when if you had acknowledged him earlier he probably would have moved on.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:33am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Those fellas don't seem to post here, for the time being.
Shut-up.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Shut-up.
Meanie.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There Would Be Some Goofy Calls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
You must ref in the Fantasyland league at Disneyland.
I don't, but do they need officials?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for all of the great information and I hope to put it all to work for my fifth season of officiating.

Last edited by stripes2255; Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 10:45pm.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 10:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Shut-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Meanie.
Not sure why, but I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

I don't think an official should be saying"I owe you one" to a coach. If I was the other coach and I heard that I'd be wondering where mine was.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

When I kick a call, and a coach calls me on it, I'll say something like "I missed it Coach". I am never going to use a phrase like I owe you. Comes down to the end of the game, you make a tough call against the other team, now you have a coach asking you if that was the one you owed him? All they have to do is hit the handle, because this game is in the toilet.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 08:08am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes2255 View Post
I just don't see myself as one of those guys that can hit a coach with some witty comeback line, it takes some work for me.
I'm not "one of those guys" either, stripes. So I just don't try to be. I've been officiating for 16 years, and I often still struggle in the coach/official exchanges. Since I don't do well with witty one-liners or quick "gotcha" phrases, I just don't try them. I am basically all-business. Boring, but pretty efficicient.

Answer a legitimate question, ignore everything else, except as other have said, to nod or say "I'll look for it, Coach".

I guess my only point (I know, there's a point?) is not to worry too much about it. As long as your interactions aren't antagonistic, you're probably doing ok.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 08:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
I have used Billy Mac coach/ref responses with some success with beginner and junior officials.
Thanks, but I can't take credit. The original source was the Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association. I just did a little editing.

Also, the one, and only, humorous comment that I might make to a coach, and only under the right circumstances, is when a coach complains about an alternating possession arrow, when I know that I'm 100% right: "Coach. We'll make sure that you'll get two of the next three". I learned that line here on the Forum. I wonder who first came up with that line? It's a good one.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

To me, it's like dealing with customers at the day job. You have customers who will say things when their service, food, product has something wrong/issue with it...You have to use some tact and people skills, give some reassurance and move on. I don't like "owing one" for the above mentione reason....When are you going to make it known that, "That" was the one you made up?

I agree with the answer questions not comments...."That's gotta be a foul!" is my favorite...I keep going and they'll usually answer their own question when I don't respond.

I use some wit/funny stuff if I know the coaches....
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

NEVER, BUT NEVER EVER USE THE PHRASE "I OWE YOU ONE".

This reeks of an intention to have a make up call.

Holy smokes... horrible line to use on a coach. "I missed it coach. I will work harder" is fine and as far as it should go.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 11:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Unlike Mark Padgett's "O" Word ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
Make up call.
These are three words that should never, I mean never, be stated in a game, or, for that matter, on this Forum website. They can be toxic when used together. Like mixing household chemicals.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 05:40pm.