Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 06:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rpirtle
Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco

I appreciate the response. So, hypothetically speaking....Team A shoots the ball (ball has frontcourt status but now player and team control has ended), a player from team A tries to rebound but instead swipes ball into backcourt (last touched), and another player from Team A could retrieve the ball in the backcourt (first touched) and there is no violation. (Assumption: No player from Team B ever touches the ball.)

Is this true? I know it's not very likely...just stretching the example to get the concept clearer to myself. Thanks again all!
Actually, it happens quite often. If you feel A1's "swipe" did not include him holding the ball, then there is no player control, hence no team control reestablished, hence no violation.
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think there is a violation. "scoop" The player didn't catch and pass the ball. The player was saving the ball from going oob. This type of play and the receiving a pass from a teammate by batting the ball to the floor to gain control. I am not judging them to be control or a dribble, respectively.
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
O.K. This one eludes me. What is "HTBT".
Had To Be There
Thank You J.R.
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Team A shoots the ball (ball has frontcourt status but now player and team control has ended), a player from team A tries to rebound but instead swipes ball into backcourt (last touched), and another player from Team A could retrieve the ball in the backcourt (first touched) and there is no violation. (Assumption: No player from Team B ever touches the ball.)

This may also be the only time that the Lead official (in 2-man) calls the backcourt violation. The lead is in a better position to judge control on A1 as he is attempting to save the ball back in bounds from the baseline.

I only bring this up because a partner called it in a game we were working. I was ready to choke him for making the call from the lead until we talked about what happened.
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rpirtle
Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
I appreciate the response. So, hypothetically speaking....Team A shoots the ball (ball has frontcourt status but now player and team control has ended), a player from team A tries to rebound but instead swipes ball into backcourt (last touched), and another player from Team A could retrieve the ball in the backcourt (first touched) and there is no violation. (Assumption: No player from Team B ever touches the ball.)

Is this true? I know it's not very likely...just stretching the example to get the concept clearer to myself. Thanks again all!
It happened once in each of our last two games, refs got it right both times. Three pointers can lead to long rebounds, which can then get tipped instead of grabbed. It's hard to visualize without seeing an example of this type of play, but once you see it happen in the flow of play, it does not seem at all strange (and needs to be called correctly!).