The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 07:05am
In Memoriam

Cool JrHigh Girls game - Backcourt violation

I was lead, and we had a throw-in near the division line.

A2 received throw-in, straddling the division line. Being pressured she pivoted on her front court foot, lifted her free foot and put in back down in the back court. Without dribbling, she passed to a teammate and play continued.

Shortly thereafter, we had a full time and I mentioned to partner that *we* missed a backcourt violation, but I was told that all "three-points" had not touched in the front court, so it wasn't a violation.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

So, what did he say after the game when you showed him the rule and case play.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Your partners need reminded that the "3-point" rule only applies to a dribbler.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Where was the B coach?

-or better yet-

Why didn't B coach drag out his rule book?
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:50am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
JrHigh Girls game - Backcourt violation
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Where was the B coach?

-or better yet-

Coach B was five (5) feet from the throw-in.

It seems to me that not all coaches, particularly at lower levels, have access to all books.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
Your partners need reminded that the "3-point" rule only applies to a dribbler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Partner is a smart guy. I'm sure he owns it.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:51am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post

Shortly thereafter, we had a full time and I mentioned to partner that *we* missed a backcourt violation, but I was told that all "three-points" had not touched in the front court, so it wasn't a violation.

Sooooo...did you just stand there and give him your best "I really can't believe you just said that" look??? That usually works pretty well - they figure out their own mistake pretty quickly.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know, I should wait til I get home and look up rule and case play...........do you have it? Want to memorize it should I get called on it.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 11:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Where was the B coach?

-or better yet-

Because only Coach P does that.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I know, I should wait til I get home and look up rule and case play...........do you have it? Want to memorize it should I get called on it.
SECTION 4 BALL LOCATION, AT DISPOSAL
ART. 1 . . . A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the backcourt if either the ball or the player (either player if the ball is touching more than one) is touching the backcourt.
ART. 2 . . . A ball which is in contact with a player is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt.
ART. 3 . . . A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court.

ART. 4 . . . A ball which touches a player or an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual's location.
ART. 5 . . . A ball which touches the front faces or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds, except that when the ball touches the thrower's backboard it does not constitute a part of a dribble.
ART. 6 . . . During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.

BACKCOURT – FRONTCOURT – BALL LOCATION
4.4.1 SITUATION: As Team A is advancing the ball from its backcourt toward its frontcourt, A1 passes the ball to A2. A2 catches the ball while both feet are on the floor – with one foot on either side of the division line. In this situation, either foot may be the pivot foot. (a) A2 lifts the foot which is in the backcourt and then puts it back on the floor in the backcourt; or (b) A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt, pivots and puts it on the floor in the backcourt. RULING: In (a), it is a backcourt violation. When A2, while holding the ball, lifts the foot which was in the backcourt, the ball is now in the frontcourt. When A2's foot then touches in the backcourt, it is a violation. In (b), when A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt and places it down in the backcourt, the location of the ball has not changed. The ball is still in the backcourt and no violation has occurred. (4-35-2)
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SECTION 4 BALL LOCATION, AT DISPOSAL
ART. 1 . . . A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the backcourt if either the ball or the player (either player if the ball is touching more than one) is touching the backcourt.
ART. 2 . . . A ball which is in contact with a player is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt.
ART. 3 . . . A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court.

ART. 4 . . . A ball which touches a player or an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual's location.
ART. 5 . . . A ball which touches the front faces or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds, except that when the ball touches the thrower's backboard it does not constitute a part of a dribble.
ART. 6 . . . During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.

BACKCOURT – FRONTCOURT – BALL LOCATION
4.4.1 SITUATION: As Team A is advancing the ball from its backcourt toward its frontcourt, A1 passes the ball to A2. A2 catches the ball while both feet are on the floor – with one foot on either side of the division line. In this situation, either foot may be the pivot foot. (a) A2 lifts the foot which is in the backcourt and then puts it back on the floor in the backcourt; or (b) A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt, pivots and puts it on the floor in the backcourt. RULING: In (a), it is a backcourt violation. When A2, while holding the ball, lifts the foot which was in the backcourt, the ball is now in the frontcourt. When A2's foot then touches in the backcourt, it is a violation. In (b), when A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt and places it down in the backcourt, the location of the ball has not changed. The ball is still in the backcourt and no violation has occurred. (4-35-2)

Thanks...............I'm assuming you have athletic rules study software which enables you to cut and paste rules, case plays? If so, question. I have on PC at home and want to download to laptop. I can't get a hold of these people, tried emailing with no response and can't find web site.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks...............I'm assuming you have athletic rules study software which enables you to cut and paste rules, case plays? If so, question. I have on PC at home and want to download to laptop. I can't get a hold of these people, tried emailing with no response and can't find web site.
I am not sure what happened to them. Maybe Nevadaref could help, he's cutting & pasting all the time.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
AFAIK, they are out of business (or at least they no longer manufacture the product)
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

As I understand it, the NFHS opted not to renew the contract they had with ARS, which left ARS without a product. Additionally, I believe the product/service the NFHS was working on that would have competed with ARS, never actually materialized.