The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

officiating

I'm 23 and looking to get into officiating. I work for a school district in Missouri in the technology department and would like to become a high school official. Is this something I can do part-time? I'm assuming it's ONLY really part time unless you are in the NBA or something. I'm also assuming the pay isn't great, but I've thought about coaching or officiating before and I would just love to get back into basketball.

Do any of you have any advice on how I could get started in officiating?
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 03:42pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
Is this something I can do part-time?
Yes.

Quote:
Is this something I can do part-time?Do any of you have any advice on how I could get started in officiating?
Go here for more information about your state.
https://www.mshsaa.org/Officials/
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 03:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm 23 and looking to get into officiating. I work for a school district in Missouri in the technology department and would like to become a high school official. Is this something I can do part-time? I'm assuming it's ONLY really part time unless you are in the NBA or something. I'm also assuming the pay isn't great, but I've thought about coaching or officiating before and I would just love to get back into basketball.

Do any of you have any advice on how I could get started in officiating?
For well over 90% of officials we do this part time. This is not something that can maintain your income you decide to work every day which is not always possible.

Welcome to the forum and I am sure someone will come around and give you the proper information for Missouri.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
...I am sure someone will come around and give you the proper information for Missouri.
Or perhaps someone already has.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 05:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Or perhaps someone already has.
Did anyone post associations list, how he gets games, what is expected with uniforms or patches, how IAABO plays a role in Missouri? I live close to Missouri and there is a little more to getting assigned than just get a license from the state office.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Did anyone post associations list, how he gets games, what is expected with uniforms or patches, how IAABO plays a role in Missouri? I live close to Missouri and there is a little more to getting assigned than just get a license from the state office.

Peace
yea that is something i'm interested in. Kind of what to expect. I understand I need to apply and they send me a test and I need to pass the exam. Then I am registered and certified I suppose. And beyond that, then what? Mechanics and rules meetings. But how does the actual officiating happen? I know schools hire officials, so I'm wondering how that process works. And if there are days I cannot do it, am I obligated to official, no matter the day? For instance, I take a few graduate level classes in Communication in the evening, so I couldn't official those days.

I'm excited to get into the profession though, just as a means to show my love for basketball and make an impact
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

What part of the state do you live in?
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu4scott View Post
What part of the state do you live in?
i live in the st. louis area.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

IAABO 173 in St. Louis has their first meeting on Tuesday night (10/7) at 7PM at DeSmet High School. It would be a good place to go and have many of your questions answered. The other organization I am aware of is St. Louis Officials but I do not know their meeting info.

Last edited by muxbule; Mon Oct 06, 2008 at 10:49pm.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 11:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
yea that is something i'm interested in. Kind of what to expect. I understand I need to apply and they send me a test and I need to pass the exam. Then I am registered and certified I suppose. And beyond that, then what? Mechanics and rules meetings. But how does the actual officiating happen? I know schools hire officials, so I'm wondering how that process works. And if there are days I cannot do it, am I obligated to official, no matter the day? For instance, I take a few graduate level classes in Communication in the evening, so I couldn't official those days.

I'm excited to get into the profession though, just as a means to show my love for basketball and make an impact
It was pretty obvious to me that you would want more than just a link to the Missouri website. I hope everything works out for you and keep us posted how things are going. Also do not be afraid to ask questions of the board. You might not always get the perfect answer, but the answers can lead you in a direction you did not have before.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i live in the st. louis area.
DWD, if you want to PM me I can get you hooked up with several people who assign both rec and HS.