The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Is that true? You only need an 86 out of 170 to pass the Officials test? And it's open book? But I can't drag out the rule book during a game?

FWIW, I agree that question is vacillatingly written.
I believe it means a grade of 86% correct is required to pass
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

There are always a couple test questions that are poorly worded. Over time you'll get used to reading them and get a better understanding of what the questions are asking. It is very frustrating the first few times around though.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 11:31am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdray View Post
I believe it means a grade of 86% correct is required to pass
Gee, ya think? I learned a long time ago (not being Mr. Grammer or Spelling Guy), you have to pick and choose your words very carefully here.....and I am still not good at it! Words like should, could, might, may, at least can get you in trouble (just like the exams)....and some of the folks here are pretty sharp - and as doubleringer states - experienced!
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

It's becasue there are aloways going to be a few poorly worded questions that you only need 86% to pass.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
CoachP - what do you need to score on your annual exam to become a coach and maintain your certification?
Certification? We don't need no stinkin certification!

I did take the MHSAA referee rules test a few years ago. Got two wrong.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
OK, here's another funky Q- I told our cadet sup that if I saw this on the exam and got it wrong and failed by one point, I was coming after all of them...

- A team is always granted at least one additional time out without penalty at the start of the first overtime period.

True or False?

I said False. Obviously the sup said the answer was True. My logic is that both teams are always granted ONE additional time out, not AT LEAST one- that implies teams could get more than one. The explanation was that yes, teams get one, but they also carry over whatever is left from regulation time. OK, I know that, but how is that relevant to the way the question is asked? What's wrong with the answer that says- False, teams are always granted only one additional time out per extra period, not always at least one!!

We are being told not to "read into the question" too much. I'm seeing a lot of reading into Qs but also a lot of assuming facts that are not in the question? Overall, I am happy with this training program, but the practice tests are starting to piss me off.

I think I'm probably making too much of this, but I'm not sure....? When there are 170 Qs and you need an 86, there ain't a whole lot of room for error, especially for ambiguous questions....

Z
It is what it is. If as you say your "cadet sup" drafted the questions, then you need to take it up with him. No amount of complaining about it here is going to change that.

Secondly, if you think missing 23 questions on an open book rules test isn't enough margin for error, then you need to rethink your dedication to rules knowledge and interpretation.

Last edited by eyezen; Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 11:50am.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 12:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
While "exactly one" exists in the domain of "at least one", they are far from being equivalent. There are an infinite number of, well numbers, that are at least one. "Exactly one" is only one of them. I have to agree with Zeedonk. The answer to the question, as written, is false.

By the way, suppose the IRS changed the 1040 to indicate your tax liability was "at least" the amount on line whatever. Imagine the uproar
I disagree, the statement is true, as written. The statement says nothing about sometimes being more than one. Since one is "at least one," there is nothing false about the statement.

I don't see an uproar over the 1040 change you propose, either. Anyone with brains is going to pay that least amount, and anyone without brains won't be reading their 1040s anyway.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Open book? Are you serious? I thought open book tests went out in 6th grade... Nobody has told us that. What else don't I know? (Insert multiple jokes here) About the test, I mean... Can I bring the case book too? That would help!

Obviously many have come before me, both wiser than me and not, and they all got through it... so, yes, its frustrating to have these issues, but hey, words have meaning!

Maybe I'll start writing my own questions.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

If the question said they were granted a number of timeouts that is at least one, I'd agree. But "at least one" is an infinitely large set of numbers, not a single number from that set. Semantics, I admit. But still incorrect.

As for the 1040, the real question would be: What does the IRS think "at least" means?
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
When there are 170 Qs and you need an 86, there ain't a whole lot of room for error, ....
Really? Seems that you can miss 84!

You may want check your numbers, but by my math you only need to answer just over half of the questions correctly.

86 / 170 = 50.6%

Of course, you probably meant to write that there are 100 questions!
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 08:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nevada, typically, when someone says they need "an" 86, that imlies 86% rather than 86 correct answers. At least, that's how I've always heard and used that phrase.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nevada, typically, when someone says they need "an" 86, that imlies 86% rather than 86 correct answers. At least, that's how I've always heard and used that phrase.
Hey, I'm having some fun here. You STFU.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 09:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Qui Transtulit Sustinet," (He Who Transplanted Still Sustains)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Certification? We don't need no stinkin certification!
Coaches need a stinkin certification in Connecticut.

http://www.ctcoachinged.org/
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 01:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Coaches is Canada are required to obtain certification through the NCCP program.

http://www.coach.ca/eng/index.cfm

It's definitely a good thing for society up here.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Hey, I'm having some fun here. You STFU.
Ouch, I think this is where I'm supposed to stomp away and cry, right?