The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

I am lost on this one,can someone give me an example to this question for me?

#80. The throw-in is at the division line when A1, who is inbounding the ball under B's basket, is the first to touch the ball near the division line.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen
I am lost on this one,can someone give me an example to this question for me?

#80. The throw-in is at the division line when A1, who is inbounding the ball under B's basket, is the first to touch the ball near the division line.
True (NF) 9.2.6
Violation for A1 to touch the ball first until touched by another player
Penalty Ball is dead ball is awarded to the opp. for a throw in at the out of bounds spot nearest the violation

also if this was an alteranting pocession throw in team A would also loose the error

Stew in VA
CVBOA
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stewcall
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen
also if this was an alteranting pocession throw in team A would also loose the error
Could this statement been in "arrow?"
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

The penalty for this violation is to award the opponents a throw in from the original spot, correct?? A1 was inbounding the ball under B's basket, and A1 was the first to touch ball inbounds. Therefore #80 on the test should be false.

Shont
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shont
The penalty for this violation is to award the opponents a throw in from the original spot, correct?? A1 was inbounding the ball under B's basket, and A1 was the first to touch ball inbounds. Therefore #80 on the test should be false.

Shont
Shont,

Where did the violation occur? Don't you take the ball out-of-bounds at the spot nearest the violation?

Z
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Where did the violation occur?
Depends. Was it a floor violation or a throw-in violation?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Shont
Shont,

Where did the violation occur? Don't you take the ball out-of-bounds at the spot nearest the violation?

Z
Good questions -- but to answer the first you need to know whether the violation is "A1 being the first to touch" OR is "A1 failing to throw the ball so it touches another player".

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

The way I read the question - A1 throws the ball in and is first to touch the ball near the division line. The violation occurs at the division line and so the throw in should be at the spot of the violation

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:

Shont
Shont,

Z
Good questions -- but to answer the first you need to know whether the violation is "A1 being the first to touch" OR is "A1 failing to throw the ball so it touches another player".

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

# 80 - False

Shont....

Check out Case Book, page 64. 9.2.2 Situation B(a)

The throw-in by A1 is: (a) first touched in the court by A1;
RULING: Violation in (a); B's ball at the spot of the throw-in.

It makes sense....it assures team B is not disadvantaged by A1 touching of the ball first in bounds pre-empting B getting the ball further away from their basket by this particular violation by A1. (for whatever reason A1 would do this?)

wl
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Re: # 80 - False

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Shont....

Check out Case Book, page 64. 9.2.2 Situation B(a)

The throw-in by A1 is: (a) first touched in the court by A1;
RULING: Violation in (a); B's ball at the spot of the throw-in.

It makes sense....it assures team B is not disadvantaged by A1 touching of the ball first in bounds pre-empting B getting the ball further away from their basket by this particular violation by A1. (for whatever reason A1 would do this?)

wl
I stand corrected---- Yikes
9.2.2 in the case book nails it
Stew
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Tricky?

Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
The way I read the question - A1 throws the ball in and is first to touch the ball near the division line. The violation occurs at the division line and so the throw in should be at the spot of the violation

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:

Shont
Shont,

Z

Leave it up to the FED to make a tricky question (one that could go either way)

I took it to be a throw in violation, thus the violation and the throw in would be at the original spot.

I used 9-2-2 or 9-2-6 for reference.

But then I look at the penalty and it states "following the violation the ball is awarded at the OOB spot nearest the violation."

Flip a coin?

(EDIT) I just looked in case book and its detailed so answer is False. I stand correct now.

Thanks
David

[Edited by David B on Nov 9th, 2004 at 09:50 AM]
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

This is one of the situations from this year's interps posted on the NFHS website.

SITUATION 7: Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball and steps out of bounds at the end line to prepare for a throw-in. B1 attempts an entry pass that goes near the division line, but no opponent or teammate is nearby to secure the ball. B1 enters the court and becomes the first player to touch the ball. RULING: B1 has committed a throw-in violation. Team A will be awarded a throw-in at a designated spot on the end line, which was the original throw-in location. (9-2-6 Penalty)
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Interesting.....My 03-04 rule book says under the 9-2 Penalty section that the throw-in spot is at the oob spot nearest the vioation.

But my 04-05 rule book says that the ball is awarded to the opponents from the original throw-in spot.

This is the first time I noticed the change.

Answer should be False according to this years rule book.

MJ
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Talking Wow!!! Another un-announced change!!

that is a first!!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Interesting.....My 03-04 rule book says under the 9-2 Penalty section that the throw-in spot is at the oob spot nearest the vioation.

But my 04-05 rule book says that the ball is awarded to the opponents from the original throw-in spot.

This is the first time I noticed the change.

Answer should be False according to this years rule book.

MJ
The original throw-in spot *is* the spot nearest the violation. The violation is NOT for A1 touching the ball, it's for A1 not making a valid throw-in.

It's the same as when A1 throws the ball and it goes OOB untouched -- the ball is awarded at the spot of the original throw-in, not where the ball went OOB.