The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
There is only way to handle a one person game ---- Get in, do your best, survive, and get out.
AMEN!!!

Peace
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BillyMac]Don't forget to pick up your check on the way out. In the Constitution State, for a one person game, we get 150% of the game fee, it's written in our contract with the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletics Conference,

I've been a little more fortunate. The few times my partner was a no show and I had to fly solo, I got both checks. That's the way it works around here.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 10:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Duty ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
The few times my partner was a no show and I had to fly solo, I got both checks. That's the way it works around here.
Wow. Who's your agent?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 11:21pm
We don't rent pigs

When calling a game alone, one must be prepared to acknowledge the fact that:

"I didn't see it," and act accordingly.

Lots of possession arrows on out of bounds.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
How do the JV officials go home without knowing a varsity official has not shown up? This is a sore subject on our local board. We've always had a unofficial policy on our local board that varsity officials get to the site early to watch at least the second half of the junior varsity game, and the junior varsity officials stay and watch at least the first half of the varsity game. ...

But, alas, it's an unofficial policy. Sometimes the junior varsity officials have just completed a freshman/junior varsity doubleheader, have been at the site from 3:15 p.m. until 6:45 p.m. and just want to get home, leaving as soon as possible, in uniform, without even taking a shower. In some cases the junior varsity officials want to get out of there as soon as possible to get to their hometown to do a recreation, or travel game (easy money), again leaving, in uniform, without even taking a shower. Sometimes they just leave, no excuse, just walk out the door at the end of their game. We varsity officials can't do anything about this, except giving them a lower rating, because they didn't stay.
There's a term for those officials....

Paycheck officials...just showing up to earn the check and not doing what it takes to get better or better the organization. The few that do the expected probably get the nod when the assingor needs some new varsity officials....and rightly so.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 05:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
[QUOTE=refnrev]
Quote:
I've been a little more fortunate. The few times my partner was a no show and I had to fly solo, I got both checks. That's the way it works around here.
Wow, both checks? Cool!

The few times I have worked by myself have all been sub-JV thankfully. I do just as the post suggests - coaches meetings, captains meetings, foul line to foul line, etc. Thankfully, the coaches and players are fairly acceptable and appreciate just having the one official they DO have. Haven't had any real problems I can recall, but never felt like it was one of my better games - and I'm usually more tired too - both physically and mentally!
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

In my area if one official doesn't show up, the official that missed the game is fined an amount equal to the game fee s/he would have earned if s/he showed up. So the HS game that you miss is ~ a $72 swing. Because you don't earn the $36 game fee, and you're fined $36.

The official that does the game by him/herself is paid an extra 50% of the game fee. His/her game fee just went from $36 to $54. The other $18 stays with the association and is used for the social night, education (sending newbies to camp), etc....

Since most assignments are double headers, missing usually amounts to being fined upwards of $70-$80, and as high as $100 or slightly more than $100.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Paycheck, Johnny Paycheck ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
There's a term for those officials...Paycheck officials...just showing up to earn the check and not doing what it takes to get better or better the organization. The few that do the expected probably get the nod when the assignor needs some new varsity officials....and rightly so.
Those that do the expected get more than a nod from assigner, they also get a better rating from the varsity officials, which will eventually lead to a lot more nods from the assigner.

Paycheck officials. You hit the nail right on the head.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Swing Vote ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
In my area if one official doesn't show up, the official that missed the game is fined an amount equal to the game fee s/he would have earned if s/he showed up. So the HS game that you miss is ~ a $72 swing. Because you don't earn the $36 game fee, and you're fined $36.
The official that does the game by him/herself is paid an extra 50% of the game fee. His/her game fee just went from $36 to $54. The other $18 stays with the association and is used for the social night, education (sending newbies to camp), etc....Since most assignments are double headers, missing usually amounts to being fined upwards of $70-$80, and as high as $100 or slightly more than $100.
We have a similar policy, however, the other 50% stays with the school, why should the school pay two fees when it only gets one official when it asked for and expected two offcials?

That "swing" factor can really make it an expensive night if you miss a game.

Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nailed It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
The few times I have worked by myself have all been sub-JV thankfully. I do just as the post suggests - coaches meetings, captains meetings, foul line to foul line, etc. Thankfully, the coaches and players are fairly acceptable and appreciate just having the one official they DO have. Haven't had any real problems I can recall, but never felt like it was one of my better games - and I'm usually more tired too - both physically and mentally!
Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I've also found that the coaches and players will often "appreciate just having the one official they do have", it "never (feels) like it was one of my better games", and "I'm usually more tired too" but it's usually more mentally than physically.

Are you sure that you've only done this a "few times"?

Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Coach, Please Stop Saying That I Left My Glasses At Home ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
When calling a game alone, one must be prepared to acknowledge the fact that: "I didn't see it," and act accordingly. Lots of possession arrows on out of bounds.
You got that right, brother. Sounds like you've done this more than once.

Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 07:02am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Are you sure that you've only done this a "few times"?
OK, "several times". That's more than a few, right?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 07:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

The official that does the game by him/herself is paid an extra 50% of the game fee. His/her game fee just went from $36 to $54. The other $18 stays with the association and is used for the social night, education (sending newbies to camp), etc....

Since most assignments are double headers, missing usually amounts to being fined upwards of $70-$80, and as high as $100 or slightly more than $100.
I would refuse to do a 1-man game unless I received 100% of the other person's game fee if I work the whole game by myself.

In my HS association if you do 1 quarter by yourself you get 25%, 2 quarters = 50%, 3 quarters = 75%, and 4 or more = 100%. I will not work Rec or AAU games that don't have the same policy.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:44am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeref
This is a no brainer for me...under no circumstances do I work a game alone. The liability factor is just too great.
Mike, I'm not a lawyer, so this is an honest question. How is the liability greater for an official who works alone than for a crew of 2? And does that mean that the liability for a crew of 2 is greater than that of a crew of 3?

I just don't understand how the number of officials affects liability. I have no legal background.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Mike, I'm not a lawyer, so this is an honest question. How is the liability greater for an official who works alone than for a crew of 2? And does that mean that the liability for a crew of 2 is greater than that of a crew of 3?

I just don't understand how the number of officials affects liability. I have no legal background.
It's a liability issue in this case, I think, because his state association says "no one-official games." So because the official broke the rules, the laws safeguarding official(s) no longer apply.