View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 06:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Swing Vote ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
In my area if one official doesn't show up, the official that missed the game is fined an amount equal to the game fee s/he would have earned if s/he showed up. So the HS game that you miss is ~ a $72 swing. Because you don't earn the $36 game fee, and you're fined $36.
The official that does the game by him/herself is paid an extra 50% of the game fee. His/her game fee just went from $36 to $54. The other $18 stays with the association and is used for the social night, education (sending newbies to camp), etc....Since most assignments are double headers, missing usually amounts to being fined upwards of $70-$80, and as high as $100 or slightly more than $100.
We have a similar policy, however, the other 50% stays with the school, why should the school pay two fees when it only gets one official when it asked for and expected two offcials?

That "swing" factor can really make it an expensive night if you miss a game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)