The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I am looking for a code of conduct for parents and fans of players for youth rec ball.
Having seen some and been part of organizations that had them, I now desperately need some good resources to address some issues that are going to kill a good program.
Please email or respond here with suggestions or links.
Thanks
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Where are those Misunderstood Rules of Basketball?
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Two sources, similar stuff.

The National Youth Sports Safety Foundation, Inc. (NYSSF) is a national non-profit, educational organization dedicated to reducing the number and severity of injuries youth sustain in sports and fitness activities. The Foundation is the only organization in the country solely dedicated to this objective.

At the heart of the Foundation's mission is a commitment to promote the healthy development of youth, and to keep them physically active and in sports for life.

Parent code of conduct is located at:
http://www.nyssf.org/sportparentcodeofconduct.html

The goal of the National Alliance for Youth Sports is to make sports safe and positive for America’s youth. The Alliance believes that this can only happen if:
We provide children with a positive introduction to
youth sports;
That administrators, coaches, and game officials are
well trained;
Parents complete an orientation to understand the
important impact sports has on their child’s
development and:
Youth sports are implemented in accordance with the
National Standards for Youth Sports.

Parents’ Code of Ethics is located at:
http://www.nays.org/pays/code_of_ethics.cfm
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hey Coach,

Just one more reason that I'm always glad to see your posts. Thanks for the links. I read both sets of guidelines. I like the first one that you mention better, simply b/c it's more specific. There are a couple of nits to be picked, but overall the guidelines seem to be well thought-out and appropriate.

Nice job, Coach. Thanks

Chuck
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I started out in some programs that used the NAYS (started out as NYSCA) guidelines for coaches, and changed a lot of how I behave because of them. I am by nature a highly competitive individual. These guidelines taught me alot about how to be competitive and remain a teacher. At the outset, it is always hard to balance the two. The parent guidelines became part of the league that I used to run, and we had our association pay to certify all of our coaches.

I am a firm believer that keeping the competition element in sports is essential, but that teaching responsible competition is what youth coaching is all about. We always want to win our games (some would have you believe that this is not important at all - I disagree), but in the end, win or lose, they are just games. For the players, learning how to improve their level of play is infinitely more important than winning individual games. I have lost many a game by working through development issues rather than taking a shortcut to win now (e.g., changing a player's shot so that they can be a successful HS player, recongnizing that their shooting percentage will go way down before it ever goes up). But learning how to finish and win a game teaches a level of mental control that is equally valuable.

Parents frequently do not learn how to balance competition and development, do not recognize that most youth teams win as many as they lose, that none of us involved in the game are perfect - not the refs, the coaches, or the players. But we can provide a lot to these players that will help them throughout life if they learn to compete with honor, rather than just win at all costs. And coaches have to educate the parents regarding what is important, because the parent can screw it up worse than anybody for their kid by teaching the wrong lessons from wins and losses.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the links,
This league has gotten way out of hand with verbal and threatned physical abuse of officials.
Because the program is run by the county, this idiots seem to think that "because I pay taxes." they can do whatever they want.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Our county sponsors Rec and Travel leagues for youth players. Both leagues require each player to have a signed parent Code of Ethics from NAYS - started this policy about 2-3 years ago. Both leagues also suspend coach one game for an ejection, and I know the travel league has a two game suspension for parents, with the parent required to have a talk with the league director prior to being reinstated. The league director is a college ref (division I mens) and he knows how to handle these things. He says he makes them explain why they had to be ejected from a kids game, i.e., what compelled them to behave so badly as to be ejected and how are they going to comport themselves in the future?
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach: Let me say that coming from a parent first, past coach second, and official third, you are a credit to the coaching profession. I commend you for wanting to teach our youth that winning at all costs is not the most important thing. I remember when I used to coach, one of the first things I told my players (10-12 year olds), that winning is very important, but being a good team player and doing your best was more important. Thank you for caring.
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 12:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

Our local rec league doesn't have a required parents conduct statement per se, but on our rules sheet that goes to all parents, it tells them what their conduct must be.

We do have a required coaches statement that all head and assistant coaches must sign and return a copy to us. If they don't, they cannot coach. Here's a copy:

Coaches’ Mission Statement

To introduce the proper rules and fundamentals of basketball to every child, irrespective of ability. To develop a positive self-image and promote fair competition. To teach GOOD sportsmanship and the TEAM concept. But most of all, to make Tigard Basketball a fun and rewarding experience.

Coaches’ Commitments and Responsibilities:

1. I will maintain an ethic of fair play, good sportsmanship and respect for opponents and referees, and endeavor to instill these values throughout the league.

2. I will work cooperatively and constructively with all players and personnel involved in the Tigard Basketball Association.

3. Administrative duties are a major part of coaching, and I will:
a. Have player registration forms with me at all practices and games;

b. Maintain a practice and game schedule; and

c. Be responsible and safeguard all equipment and facilities.

4. I will attend any coaches clinics and/or meetings in order to both learn and also share my thoughts with others.

5. I foremost will set an example of good sportsmanship, refrain from use of bad language, consumption of alcohol, smoking and use of all tobacco products during any TBA activities.

BTW - at our annual pre-season coaches meeting, I tell coaches that I am frequently asked what makes a successful season. I tell them that at the end of the season to ask their players two questions:

1) Did you have fun?
2) Do you want to come back and play next year?

If all their players can answer "yes" to both questions, then they had a successful season. It's no more complicated than that.