The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rec league rules quiz (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4802-rec-league-rules-quiz.html)

Mark Padgett Wed May 01, 2002 12:21am

Since the board is so slow, I thought I'd post this. It's a rules quiz our rec league gives to all coaches at our coaches meeting prior to the season starting. I administer it, and then give them the answers. It's worth the price of admission to see their faces when they realize how many they get wrong. Here it is: (BTW - TBA means Tigard Basketball Assn.)

Answer true or false to each question. All questions pertain to rules of the National Federation of State High School Associations and are standard High School rules as played in TBA. In all questions, team A is on offense and team B is on defense.

_____ 1) A1 passes to A2 who does not catch the ball cleanly. The ball hits his hands and then it drops to the floor. A2 then grabs the ball and begins to dribble. This is a violation on A2.

_____ 2) A1 is inbounding in his front court. He inbounds to A2 who is also in frontcourt. The inbound pass hits A2 in the hand, deflects into backcourt where it is first touched by A2. This is a violation on A2.

_____ 3) A1 is dribbling in the backcourt. As he approaches the division line, he dribbles the ball once in the frontcourt and steps into the frontcourt with one foot. He then touches that same foot in the backcourt. This is a violation on A1.

_____ 4) A1 dives for a loose ball and while on the floor, grabs the ball with both hands. His momentum causes him to roll over twice. This is a violation on A1.

_____ 5) A1 attempts to shoot a jump shot. B1 blocks the shot by putting his hand directly on the ball. A1 is unable to release the shot and returns to the floor holding the ball by himself. This is a violation on A1.

_____ 6) A1 shoots toward his basket. The ball misses and does not hit either the rim or the backboard. Before the ball hits the floor, it is caught by A1. This is a violation on A1.

_____ 7) Team A has used all its timeouts. During a dead ball, A1 requests a timeout. Team A is not allowed this timeout.

_____8) A1 is fouled and appears to be injured. The official beckons Coach A onto the court to attend to A1. However, before the coach can come onto the floor, A1 gets up and says he can continue. A1 is allowed to stay in the game at that point.

_____9) A1 is dribbling the ball. B1 goes up to A1 and, while making an attempt to play the ball, he pushes A1 off the court and into the bleachers. This is a common personal foul on B1.

_____10) A1 is at the free throw line to shoot the first shot of a two-shot foul. B1 and B2 are occupying the first space next to the endline on each side of the lane, but B3 is in one of the next spaces instead of a player from Team A. A1 misses the free throw. This is a violation by Team B and A1 will be allowed to reshoot the free throw.

_____11) A1 is dribbling the ball in his backcourt following a throw-in. The official reaches seven seconds in his ten second count. A1 requests and is granted a timeout. When Team A inbounds following the timeout, they will have three seconds to get the ball into frontcourt.

_____12) There is a jump ball called and Team A will inbound under the alternating possession rule. A1 throws the ball inbounds and before it is touched by anyone on the court, A2 fouls B1. The AP arrow is switched to Team B’s direction for the next alternating possession.

_____ 13) Following a made basket by Team B, A1 will inbound on the endline. Prior to throwing the ball in, A1 asks for a timeout and it is granted. When Team A comes back to inbound the ball, they have lost the right to run the endline on the inbound play and there will be a spot throw-in instead.

_____ 14) While shooting a two-point shot, A1 is intentionally fouled by B1. The shot goes in the basket. The basket counts and A1 will be awarded one free throw, then Team A will get possession of the ball for a throw-in.

_____ 15) A1 attempts a shot. Prior to his leaving the floor, B1 establishes and maintains legal guarding position. A1 releases the ball toward the basket, then falls on B1. The shot goes in the basket. The basket counts and A1 is charged with an offensive foul.

_____ 16) During the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, immediately following a basket by A1, Team B requests and is granted a timeout. After the timeout, Team B may, at their option, inbound the ball at the midcourt line.

_____ 17) A1 is standing in the frontcourt with his feet inside the lane. After two seconds, A2 takes a shot and the ball rebounds to A3. Two seconds later, A3 takes a shot. A1 has been in the lane a total of 4 seconds. This is a violation on Team A.

_____ 18) A1 is dribbling the ball with his right hand and has his left forearm extended to protect the ball. B1 attempts to swipe at the ball and makes contact with A1’s extended forearm. This is a foul on B1.

_____ 19) A1 is dribbling the ball. The ball bounces high and he dribbles once with his hand higher than his shoulder. This is a violation on A1.

_____ 20) Following a violation by Team B, A1 is inbounding on a spot throw-in. While holding the ball, he begins to pivot on his left foot. He then changes and pivots on his right foot. This is a violation on A1.

copyright 2002 Padgett Associates, Inc.
may not be used without expressed written permission

mick Wed May 01, 2002 06:21am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Since the board is so slow, I thought I'd post this. It's a rules quiz our rec league gives to all coaches at our coaches meeting prior to the season starting. I administer it, and then give them the answers. It's worth the price of admission to see their faces when they realize how many they get wrong.
Mark,
Good test.
Are you ever surprised by improbable high scores?
mick

ChuckElias Wed May 01, 2002 07:46am

What I want to know is whether you got the expressed written permission from Padgett Associates before posting it here! :)

Chuck

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 08:12am

answers please.

Stan Wed May 01, 2002 08:42am

F-F-F-T-T-F-T-F-T-F-F-T-F-T-F-F-F-F-F-F How is this? Or we need to argue the technicalities?

Dan_ref Wed May 01, 2002 09:08am

Quote:

Finally I Finished Flailing and Formed Finite Formulations
and Found a deFinite pattern who's Function might be to
inForm the Folks that they are Frankly Finite in their
understanding of the Fundementals. Far-out.
(Hey, I got through that without saying f***!) :D

BTW, I believe you owe Tony $5 for #6. ;)

Stan Wed May 01, 2002 09:23am

OK,OK, Someone had to display their fallibility. Although in #5, A1 came down with the ball by himself. Isn't there a difference with that and A1 and B1 both having contact with the ball when coming down? I've got more questions but someone else will probably pipe up.

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 09:27am

No, no difference. This is a jump ball.

Stan Wed May 01, 2002 09:36am

OK, thanks. #7 Do officials have to allow the time out if they know the team doesn't have any left. The discussion on this board has been fairly emphatic that teams only request time outs and that the officials grant them. Are we then just talking about when the clock stops?

mick Wed May 01, 2002 10:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by Stan
OK, thanks. #7 Do officials have to allow the time out if they know the team doesn't have any left. The discussion on this board has been fairly emphatic that teams only request time outs and that the officials grant them. Are we then just talking about when the clock stops?
Stan,
Yes, if properly requested, the time-out is granted.
Cost of time-out = One T, 2 Throws, Defend a throw-in.
mick

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 10:45am

Hold on thereeee. Not necessarily. Example 1) A1 gets trapped; coach" TO", A1 throws ball to A2 before the official can blow the whistle. A2 has control, no pressure. I might ask the coach" you still want the TO? coach "No".
example 2) Official has the ball and getting ready for a throwin; coach,"TO", asst. or table say. "coach, you are out of TO's", coach, " I don't want the TO". Ok no problem we continue with the throwin. This is two examples, i sure we can think of more. My point is, just asking for a TO doesn't mean you have to grant it.

Stan Wed May 01, 2002 10:57am

I'll just plead my case on all them:

#4 Is rolling different than sliding?

#9 Are we talking about degree of contact, he was attempting to play the ball.

#12 Doesn't the arrow change when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder or is this a bounus FT question?

#14 Let me quess, he should get 2 shots due to the T from the intentional foul.

Hey,Thanks for the quiz and the replies. Good thread for me.

mick Wed May 01, 2002 11:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Hold on thereeee. Not necessarily. Example 1) A1 gets trapped; coach" TO", A1 throws ball to A2 before the official can blow the whistle. A2 has control, no pressure. I might ask the coach" you still want the TO? coach "No".
example 2) Official has the ball and getting ready for a throwin; coach,"TO", asst. or table say. "coach, you are out of TO's", coach, " I don't want the TO". Ok no problem we continue with the throwin. This is two examples, i sure we can think of more. My point is, just asking for a TO doesn't mean you have to grant it.

Bart,
I would use R5-12-2 Time-outs in excess...may be requested and <b>shall be granted</b>....
By which rule would you <u>not grant</u> the time-out?
If Coach wants one. He's getting it. I will not be his assistant.
mick

ChuckElias Wed May 01, 2002 11:12am

Quote:

No, for the purposes of this question, they are the same. However, the rolling is not the important part of the question. The important part is the "momentum". The roll was caused by his momentum from the dive and it was not part of an attempt to withhold the ball from an opponent.

Quote:

Yes, if contact is excessive (even while attempting to play the ball) then the foul is judged to be an intentional foul. Two shots and possession.

Quote:

#12 Doesn't the arrow change when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder or is this a bounus FT question?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The arrow is changed when the throw-in ends or the throwing team violates. The throw-in didn't end in this case b/c of the foul. So no change in the arrow.

Quote:

There's no T, just the intentional. But the penalty for an intentional is always 2 shots (unless it occurs during a 3-point try), even if the basket is good. So you score the hoop, give 2 FTs and award possession at the spot closest to where the foul occurred.

Hope that helps!!

Chuck

mick Wed May 01, 2002 11:14am

Quote:

#4 Is rolling different than sliding? <font color = red> It remains momentum. </font>

#9 Are we talking about degree of contact, he was attempting to play the ball.<font color = red>YU.P. </font>

#12 Doesn't the arrow change when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder or is this a bounus FT question?<font color = red> They wasted their possession on a foul.</font>

#14 Let me quess, he should get 2 shots due to the T from the intentional foul.<font color = red> YU.P. </font>

Hawks Coach Wed May 01, 2002 11:22am

I have definite trues on 4,9,12, and 18, with 7 being false under the assumption that a requests a timeout at a moment in which it can be granted (i.e., the only decision is do we grant a timeout given that none remain)

bob jenkins Wed May 01, 2002 11:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I have definite trues on 4,9,12, and 18, with 7 being false under the assumption that a requests a timeout at a moment in which it can be granted (i.e., the only decision is do we grant a timeout given that none remain)

_____ 4) A1 dives for a loose ball and while on the floor, grabs the ball with both hands. His momentum causes him to roll over twice. This is a violation on A1.

If the momentum causes the rolling over, it's not a violation.

_____ 7) Team A has used all its timeouts. During a dead ball, A1 requests a timeout. Team A is not allowed this timeout.

A should always be granted a TO request during a dead ball (with the excpetion of successive TOs at the end of regulation or OT).

_____9) A1 is dribbling the ball. B1 goes up to A1 and, while making an attempt to play the ball, he pushes A1 off the court and into the bleachers. This is a common personal foul on B1.

Off the court and into the bleachers is a common foul? IF this happened to your team, you'd be asking for an intentional or flagrant. ;)

_____12) There is a jump ball called and Team A will inbound under the alternating possession rule. A1 throws the ball inbounds and before it is touched by anyone on the court, A2 fouls B1. The AP arrow is switched to Team B’s direction for the next alternating possession.

The throw-in hasn't ended; A didn't violate -- the arrow doesn't change.

_____ 18) A1 is dribbling the ball with his right hand and has his left forearm extended to protect the ball. B1 attempts to swipe at the ball and makes contact with A1’s extended forearm. This is a foul on B1.

A is not allowed to extend the other arm to protect the ball. See 10-6-1, first sentence at the top of page 63.

Gary Brendemuehl Wed May 01, 2002 11:42am

Looks like they are all false.

Just A Coach

mick Wed May 01, 2002 11:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by Gary Brendemuehl

Just A Coach

Justa,
Well! Now I know where you've been hiding. ;)
mick

Mark Padgett Wed May 01, 2002 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Finally I Finished Flailing and Formed Finite Formulations
and Found a deFinite pattern who's Function might be to
inForm the Folks that they are Frankly Finite in their
understanding of the Fundementals. Far-out.
(Hey, I got through that without saying f***!) :D

BTW, I believe you owe Tony $5 for #6. ;)

Without a doubt, this is one of the best and cleverest posts I have ever seen here. Congratulations. I guess you figured out I designed it to be easy to grade.

As for Tony's five bucks - have him take a cookie out of petty cash.

Hawks Coach Wed May 01, 2002 12:47pm

I started out thinking all false, then looked a little closer, in some cases wrongly, but I don't believe in all of them that is true. I blew the roll over and forgot the foul on A is not same as violation (a stupid distinction in my book, but there just the same).

Regarding knocking a player into the bleachers, gotta see it. We usually play on courts where the separation between sidelines and bleachers is not much. The sitch says B is going for ball, so it can't be an intentional foul as I read this. That leaves flagrant or common. This is not a definite in my book either way. We have a lot of hard contact due mainly to speed of play, and rarely see the flagrant. The situation does not say that the defender was playing the player, but the ball.

As for the extending arm, I know that if you extend an arm to protect ball and initiate contact (and obtain advantage) it is PC, if defender goes through the arm with body while making a steal it is probably just incidental. In this sitch we have an arm where it has no right to be being hacked. I saw (and continue to see) this as somewhat different.

bob jenkins Wed May 01, 2002 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Regarding knocking a player into the bleachers, gotta see it. We usually play on courts where the separation between sidelines and bleachers is not much. The sitch says B is going for ball, so it can't be an intentional foul as I read this. That leaves flagrant or common. This is not a definite in my book either way. We have a lot of hard contact due mainly to speed of play, and rarely see the flagrant. The situation does not say that the defender was playing the player, but the ball.
"A foul shall also be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent."

zebraman Wed May 01, 2002 01:16pm

While I agree that #4 is true in theory, I have a hard time imagining a case where a player would actually roll over <i> twice </i> due to momentum only. The human body slides pretty well on wood and I can imagine a player's momentum could cause them to do a half-turn or even a full turn possibly, but we aren't perfectly round. If I saw a player roll twice, I think I'd assume that the second roll wasn't caused by momentum. Whattya think?

Z

Hawks Coach Wed May 01, 2002 01:20pm

Thanks Bob - failed to look at that one closely enough. Never see this foul called this way, but I guess that excessive contact is all in the eye of the beholder. I actually never see refs calling flagrants, just the intentional, and then only when it there is a clear intent to foul rather than play the ball.

Maybe more refs need to read this rule this way!

mick Wed May 01, 2002 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
While I agree that #4 is true in theory, I have a hard time imagining a case where a player would actually roll over <i> twice </i> due to momentum only. The human body slides pretty well on wood and I can imagine a player's momentum could cause them to do a half-turn or even a full turn possibly, but we aren't perfectly round. If I saw a player roll twice, I think I'd assume that the second roll wasn't caused by momentum. Whattya think?

Z

Z,
I think you'll know it when you see it.
mick

Jurassic Referee Wed May 01, 2002 02:08pm

Quote:

- have him take a cookie out of petty cash.

[/B]
Gee,now where have I seen that one before?:D

Gary Brendemuehl Wed May 01, 2002 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Originally posted by Gary Brendemuehl

Just A Coach

Justa,
Well! Now I know where you've been hiding. ;)
mick

Mick

Nothing much on the other board worth commenting on.

I'll be refing some AAU ball and other tournaments this summer. During the season, I just do middle school. In the summer I get to work some high school level games.

Probably hang out here more often.

Justa

Mark Padgett Wed May 01, 2002 03:58pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman

Z

Z,
I think you'll know it when you see it.
mick

Note that the question clearly stated that his momentum caused him to roll twice.

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 04:14pm

Quote:

Quote:

Bart,
I would use R5-12-2 Time-outs in excess...may be requested and <b>shall be granted</b>....
By which rule would you <u>not grant</u> the time-out?
If Coach wants one. He's getting it. I will not be his assistant.
mick

Mick, Obviously there's no rule for the "not grant". I certainly don't have a problem with granting the TO in my 1st example. Now, I ask you, are you going to grant the TO in my 2nd example?

Mark Padgett Wed May 01, 2002 04:24pm

Quote:

Official has the ball and getting ready for a throwin; coach,"TO", asst. or table say. "coach, you are out of TO's", coach, " I don't want the TO". Ok no problem we continue with the throwin. This is two examples, i sure we can think of more. My point is, just asking for a TO doesn't mean you have to grant it. Now, I ask you, are you going to grant the TO?
Certainly, I would. The main reason is that I would have already blown my whistle and indicated the TO prior to the coach rescinding. Once I do that, you can take that TO to the bank.

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 04:28pm

NO Mark, as i stated, i havn't granted the TO. To me granting the TO means i blew the whistle. In my examples i havn't Beeped.

Mark Padgett Wed May 01, 2002 04:39pm

Quote:

NO Mark, as i stated, i havn't granted the TO. To me granting the TO means i blew the whistle. In my examples i havn't Beeped.
I have the reputation for having the "fastest whistle in the West". I make Steve Javhe (sp?) look like a slowpoke.

Ya' snooze, ya' lose. ;)

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 04:44pm

Steve doesn't have a quick whistle. He would just as soon T you as look at you. Which is a good thing. Steve Javie-sp-? is my hero. Now that i say that i guess i should learn how to spell his name. :)

mick Wed May 01, 2002 05:01pm

Quote:

Mick, Obviously there's no rule for the "not grant". I certainly don't have a problem with granting the TO in my 1st example. Now, I ask you, are you going to grant the TO in my 2nd example?
[/QUOTE]

Bart,
That looks like a HTBT sitch.
The question in my mind would be, "Did I hear the request, and all that other conversation?" Because, if the other Coach heard it, I had better have a ready answer to that question.
We're not to far apart on this. If you're my partner, whatever you do works for me.
mick

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 05:05pm

OK, i can live with what you are saying. HTBT.

Mark Dexter Wed May 01, 2002 09:21pm

In order to not give away the answers, let me just say this as my answer:

Travelling quiz.

QED

Dan_ref Wed May 01, 2002 09:29pm

Quote:

Without a doubt, this is one of the best and cleverest posts I have ever seen here. Congratulations. I guess you figured out I designed it to be easy to grade.

Well geeze, thanks.

Quote:

As for Tony's five bucks - have him take a cookie out of petty cash.

Seems I've read this before on that "other" board. Can't
seem to remember who...think...think... ;)

w_sohl Wed May 01, 2002 10:29pm

Quote:

_____ 14) While shooting a two-point shot, A1 is intentionally fouled by B1. The shot goes in the basket. The basket counts and A1 will be awarded one free throw, then Team A will get possession of the ball for a throw-in.

So, why doesn't the shooter get one shot for the made basket and then the two shots + the ball for the intentional?

Dan_ref Wed May 01, 2002 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:

So, why doesn't the shooter get one shot for the made basket and then the two shots + the ball for the intentional?

Because the foul is an intentional foul and the penalty
for an intentional foul is 2 shots and the ball at the
spot of the foul.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed May 01, 2002 10:50pm

Quote:

Where is there a technical foul in #14?

w_sohl Wed May 01, 2002 10:55pm

Quote:

Mark Dexter Wed May 01, 2002 11:00pm

Quote:

Because this isn't a common foul.

As an intentional personal foul, the penalty is two shots plus ball (let's not complicate it with a missed 3-pt attempt). You never penalize a single foul more than once or in more than one way.

That of course, brings up the coveted ten-point play. How does this work, you ask?

A1 puts up a 3pt attempt.
On the shot, B1 intentionally fouls A1.
A1's shot is good - THREE POINTS
Referee reports shot good, foul, and two FT's.
B's coach earns a technical foul - make that four FT's.
A1 makes his two FT's - FIVE POINTS
A2 makes the two T FT's - SEVEN POINTS
A2 inbounds to A1, who immediately makes another 3pt'er. - TEN POINTS.

:D

Mark Padgett Thu May 02, 2002 12:13am

Quote:

Quote:

Mark Dexter answered this above, but another way of thinking of it is that there is just one foul committed, not two - so you administer the penalty for that one foul. Since it is intentional, you administer the penalty for an intentional foul, just as Mark described.

Besides, as Judge Judy would say - THAT'S THE RULE!

Mark Padgett Thu May 02, 2002 12:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Gee,now where have I seen that one before?:D [/B]
I know what you're implying. If you research properly, you'll see that I first said that at least a year ago. I told you I read some of his posts and a few of them seem to copy my patterns and quotes. You'll probably see more of that as time goes by.

I don't know whether I should be flattered or angry. I wish he'd get his own material.

Jurassic Referee Thu May 02, 2002 04:24am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gee,now where have I seen that one before?:D
I know what you're implying. If you research properly, you'll see that I first said that at least a year ago. I told you I read some of his posts and a few of them seem to copy my patterns and quotes. You'll probably see more of that as time goes by.

I don't know whether I should be flattered or angry. I wish he'd get his own material. [/B]
Let me tell you exactly how I feel about it!! Groucho,Zeppo,Harpo,Chico & Gummo--wasn't there one more briefly somewhere along the line?
This is waaaaay more important than Bob's true identity.
Btw,my original guess was that it was MTD Sr.:D

Dan_ref Thu May 02, 2002 07:16am

Quote:

Let me tell you exactly how I feel about it!! Groucho,Zeppo,Harpo,Chico & Gummo--wasn't there one more briefly somewhere along the line?
This is waaaaay more important than Bob's true identity.
Btw,my original guess was that it was MTD Sr.:D

Not only that, I think that Shep was a mere shadow of the
brilliance that was Curly. I know it's a contraversial
subject but that's just how I feel. BTW, I kinda think
that MTD might be the spam guy or possibly jklkjjhk.

Quote:

I don't know whether I should be flattered or angry. I wish he'd get his own material.

Both. Maybe you can just take a cookie out of petty cash
for your trouble. :)

Jurassic Referee Thu May 02, 2002 09:02am

Quote:

subject but that's just how I feel.

[/B]
ROOKIE!!Larry was the glue that bonded their brilliance together.
Btw,the original names were Shemp and Curly Joe,I believe.Now,who was the other one of the Three Stooges?

Dan_ref Thu May 02, 2002 09:35am

Quote:

Quote:

subject but that's just how I feel.

ROOKIE!!Larry was the glue that bonded their brilliance together.
Btw,the original names were Shemp and Curly Joe,I believe.Now,who was the other one of the Three Stooges? [/B]
Yes you're right, it was Shemp, and Curly's name was Curly
Joe, although he was just Curly to his closest friends
(ahem) ;). The Curly/Larry debate has raged for decades
and I tend to agree that Larry's quietly reserved and
understated persona added immeasurably to the overall
ambience. But Curly was the go-to-guy! His banter with
Moe touched us all in some quietly disturbing way, making
us all realize that behind our masks we are all just
a bunch of knuckleheads. Alas, the debate rages on, and
to the oft-asked question "Will Curly's wit & wisdom
endure the test of time?" I loudly proclaim: "Soytenly!".
Nyuck, my friend, nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

Jurassic Referee Thu May 02, 2002 11:56am

Ah,yes,I do like a philosophical discussion!
--Pepe Le Pew vs. Heckle & Jeckle
--Mr. Magoo vs. Mighty Mouse
--Stan vs. Ollie
But who perchance was the fourth Stooge,Dan?I cannot believe that a man of your vast knowledge would not know this-the simplest of questions.

Dan_ref Thu May 02, 2002 12:21pm

Quote:

Ah,yes,I do like a philosophical discussion!
--Pepe Le Pew vs. Heckle & Jeckle
--Mr. Magoo vs. Mighty Mouse
--Stan vs. Ollie
But who perchance was the fourth Stooge,Dan?I cannot believe that a man of your vast knowledge would not know this-the simplest of questions.

Sorry, I got wrapped up and forgot to answer: Joe Besser.
Definitely fourth rate in my book.

Mark Padgett Thu May 02, 2002 01:17pm

Can't you guys get anything right? ;)

The Three Stooges started as a "knock-about" act in vaudeville working with Ted Healy. They were know as Ted Healy and his Stooges. Moe and Shemp were brothers (last name Howard) and Larry was their friend (last name Fine). When they got dumped by Healy and went to California to make movies, Shemp was replaced by their other brother Curly (real first name - Jerry - and he was billed as Jerry early in their career). When Curly had a heart attack, they brought Shemp back to replace him.

Moe and Larry tried to make it in feature films with other Stooges, namely Curley Joe (DeRita) and Joe (Besser), but the magic just wasn't there.

My favorite knock-knock joke comes from Curly.

Knock-knock
Who's there?
New York
New York who?
NYORK, NYORK, NYORK!

Also, there's a scene where their old army sergeant tries to trick them into re-enlisting. He has them put their heads in a water bucket, then fires a gun into it to affect their hearing. He then tries to get them to repeat the oath.

Sergeant: "Would you fight for this great republic and..."
Moe: "Republican? Not me. I'm a Democrat."
Larry: "Me too."
Curly: "Not me. I'm a pedestrian. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk."

Here's one more: Moe and Larry are trying to teach Curly pig-latin. They give this as an example -

Moe: "It's easy. Moe, omay. Larry, arrylay. Curly,..."
Curly: "Curly-Q. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk."

Classic.

Now - back to basketball. By now, I guess most of you have figured out all the answers to the quiz are false. At our annual coaches meeting, after giving them some time to answer on paper, I then simply ask how many thought at least 10 of the answers were true. Then I ask how many have between 5 and 9 true, then 1 and 4 true. I then ask how many thought they were all false, and congratulate anyone who raises his or her hand.

It really embarrasses them, which is the point. ;)

Jurassic Referee Thu May 02, 2002 02:58pm

Wow,Mark!
Chorus from JR and Dan--"We are not worthy.We are not worthy".Give me this one,without going to the net,and we'll really be impressed:
1)Terence Aloysius Mahoney aka "Slip".
2)Horace DeBussy Jones aka "Satch".
Who were the other seven "boys"?I'll spot you Gabe and Whitey.

T'hell with basketball.This is more important!

Mark Padgett Thu May 02, 2002 03:08pm

Quote:

Wow,Mark!
Chorus from JR and Dan--"We are not worthy.We are not worthy".Give me this one,without going to the net,and we'll really be impressed:
1)Terence Aloysius Mahoney aka "Slip".
2)Horace DeBussy Jones aka "Satch".
Who were the other seven "boys"?I'll spot you Gabe and Whitey.

T'hell with basketball.This is more important!

Sounds like you're talking about the Dead End Kids. Sorry, I didn't follow them. But, here's another Stooges gem.

In the same short involving the pig-latin, Curly runs into a society matron looking for "Omay" the decorator. Thinking she's into pig-latin, he refers her to Moe, who accepts the job of redecorating her mansion. The guys start but are frequently interrupted by her husband. Moe distracts him by giving him the job of mixing up a batch of "spotted paint." During the rest of the short, there's a running gag of this guy trying to do so. One scene shows him pouring black paint through a strainer into a bucket of white paint, but my favorite scene shows him studying a dalmatian puppy with a magnifying glass. That one cracked me up.

BTW - you know that Robert Blake was once a Little Rascal!

Jurassic Referee Thu May 02, 2002 03:19pm

I knew about Robert Blake.What I didn't know was the names of the other 5 Dead End Kids or Bowery Boys.I was just trying to impress you.:DBtw,you are still my hero!

Mighty Mouse is on the waaaaay!!

Mark Padgett Thu May 02, 2002 03:22pm

Quote:

I knew about Robert Blake.What I didn't know was the names of the other 5 Dead End Kids or Bowery Boys.I was just trying to impress you.:DBtw,you are still my hero!

Mighty Mouse is on the waaaaay!!

If you think I know my Stooges, just try me on the greatest comic book character ever invented, Scrooge McDuck. Scrooge was the ultimate capitalist and my personal hero (along with Earl Strom).

Jurassic Referee Thu May 02, 2002 03:33pm

Mark,now you're just blowing me away!I LOVED Scrooge McDuck!I'm still pi$$ed off at my Mommy for throwing out my old comic books of his.Can I have your baby?
PS-I meant procreation.Don't mail me one of your kids.:D

Mark Padgett Thu May 02, 2002 04:14pm

Quote:

Mark,now you're just blowing me away!I LOVED Scrooge McDuck!I'm still pi$$ed off at my Mommy for throwing out my old comic books of his.Can I have your baby?
PS-I meant procreation.Don't mail me one of your kids.:D

Scrooge was created by native Oregonian Carl Barks, who just recently passed away. Barks wrote the stories and illustrated the strip for most of it's life. After he left Disney, others got the rights to produce stories and many have done a good job. However, the original stories by Barks are generally considered in the comic world as the finest examples of children's stories, especially for their storylines. Barks wrote on "two levels" and most of his stories were also adventures. Many involved Donald and his nephews (affectionally known to Scrooge-o-philes as "the boys"). My personal favorite is "The World's Second Richest Duck", featuring Flintheart Glomgold, who claims he is richer than Scrooge.

I am the proud owner of a limited edition coffee table book, "Scrooge McDuck - His Life And Times" which has been out of print for some time and came with a signed, numbered lithograph by Barks.

My son Josh and I read all the stories over and over when he was young, and when he has children of his own, I promised I would pass the book on to him.

I'll keep the print, though. :)

Some Scrooge trivia: the size of his money bin is 3 cubic acres / he made his original fortune in two ways - digging for gold in the Klondike and selling cannons in the Boer War / the city of Duckburg is located in the state of Calisota / he has the first dime he ever earned attached to his pants pocket by a length of string and considers it his "lucky dime" - others think that if they steal it, they will get rich, and Scrooge thinks that if he ever loses it, he will lose his fortune.

And yes, he swims in his money. Wouldn't you if you had 3 cubic acres of the stuff? ;)

Jurassic Referee Thu May 02, 2002 04:29pm

Wow,amazing!Never grow old-or up,Mark.Please!

SHAZAM--I useta know what every letter meant.I am ashamed to say that I've forgotten.

Mark Padgett Thu May 02, 2002 04:42pm

Quote:

Wow,amazing!Never grow old-or up,Mark.Please!

SHAZAM--I useta know what every letter meant.I am ashamed to say that I've forgotten.

Powers:
Solomon - Wisdom
Hercules - Strength
Atlas - Stamina
Zeus - Power
Achilles - Courage
Mercury - Speed

Pretty good, eh? I really didn't follow "The Big Red Cheese" that much. I was more into Green Lantern, because he had an actual weapon, not just some weird power. Also, Batman trained himself and developed his own weapons, so he was cool.

Eventually, we'll get back to basketball.

Jurassic Referee Thu May 02, 2002 04:58pm

Quote:

Eventually, we'll get back to basketball. [/B]
'Til then,I'm enjoying it.Probably 90% of the people here don't have a clue what we're talking about.Their loss!

Two words--Sylvester & Tweety.Man,I hated that damn,smarta$$ canary.

rcwilco Fri May 03, 2002 12:56am

All right I can't resist the urge any longer....I loved the monthly disney comic books and subscribed to them, occasionally buying the special ones that only came out bi-monthly or quarterly. Green Lantern was my favoirtie super hero followed by Aqua Man. I also enjoyed Thor and his hammer. I can still remember going to the theater in Solvang, Calif. and seeing some of the three stooges movies with my friends. And then the thrill of buying the newest Tom Swift, Hardy Boys or Rick Brandt book.
Should I push it?????Anyone remember Tom Terrific and Mr. Wizard or Crusador Rabbit or Howdy Doody or..... All right, All Right, I knew I should not have joined in. I will go back to the corner and be quiet.

Mark Padgett Fri May 03, 2002 01:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by rcwilco
Anyone remember Tom Terrific and Mr. Wizard or Crusador Rabbit or Howdy Doody or.....
Sure. Tom Terrific and Mighty Dog Manfred. Tom's hat was an inverted coronet and he would take it off and play it. Mr. Wizard was on NBC and his name was Don Herbert. Crusador Rabbit's pal was Rags the tiger.

I watched Howdy Doody every day on NBC. His sister was Judy Doody. His best friend was Dilly Dally and there was a weird animal named Flub-A-Dub. The villian (and mayor of Doodyville) was Phineas T. Bluster.

Live characters included the host, Buffalo Bob Smith, Chief Thunderthud, Princess Summerfallwinterspring and, of course, Clarabell the Clown - played by Willard Scott!

Wonder Bread ("Helps build strong bodies 8 ways" - later changed to "12 ways") and Hostess Cupcakes were the sponsors and the kids sat in the Peanut Gallery.

Did you watch Rootie Kazootie with Polka Dottie and Galapoochie Pup? Or how about Winky Dink - the first interactive television program, hosted by Jack Barry?

You want any more? Bring it on. ;)

As my long-suffering wife says - my head is filled with crap.

No comment, Juulie.

Hey - didn't this used to be a basketball board or something?

Jurassic Referee Fri May 03, 2002 04:27am

Quote:

[BI also enjoyed Thor and his hammer. [/B]
"Are you Thor?"
"Thertainly!!" :D

"Pluck your magic twanger,Froggy!!" (for Mark)

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on May 3rd, 2002 at 04:51 AM]

dblref Fri May 03, 2002 06:04am

Thank you gentlemen for making my day. Even though it is Friday and I will have 3 days off, I was feeling sort of old (my 59th b'day is this month). I remember all of these programs you are talking about, even though I don't remember all of the specifics. I especially remember buying comics for a dime when I was a kid. Some of the super-duper ones cost a quarter. My brother, sister, and I were allowed to buy only 1 a week and we all 3 tried to buy different ones so we would have "3" to read all week. Took a lot of arm twisting to keep my sister from buying the "romantic" type of comics. Those were some really good days. Thanks.

mick Fri May 03, 2002 07:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
I especially remember buying comics for a dime when I was a kid.

Blackhawk.

ChuckElias Fri May 03, 2002 08:15am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Two words--Sylvester & Tweety.Man,I hated that damn,smarta$$ canary.
I was never a big fan of the Sylvester and Tweety cartoons. But I love the story from the very earliest cartoons of them. Originally, Tweety was drawn without feathers. He wasn't yellow, just flesh colored. Then one of the cats in a cartoon said the line "There goes the naked genius now!" The Board of Standards (or whoever was in charge of that sort of thing) finally realized how Tweety was drawn and demanded that he be "dressed" somehow. So the animators simply put colored him yellow, making him look feathered. I just think it's hysterical that a bunch of middle-aged white guys in California could get worked up over a featherless bird in a cartoon.

Chuck

rockyroad Fri May 03, 2002 09:41am

OK...I grew up in a small town in Alaska, and never saw Howdy Doody, or any of those shows...BUT - we did have a local show called Mother Moose - she was a puppet and she had a bunch of puppet friends, and they showed all the cartoons there...bet none of you have ever heard of The Mother Moose Show...the theme song was
"It's Mother Moose, she's on the loose.
There are some things in the north woods.
The Northern Lights, the eyes delight..."

Dang, that's all I can remember!! Getting old!

mick Fri May 03, 2002 09:48am

Quote:

I watched Howdy Doody every day on NBC.
I have a Howdy Doody doll, and a Howdy Doody record.

"Laugh and be happy.
And to be happy,
Here's all you have to know,
Just begin to wiggle
and to giggle and to go
Ha,haha, haha.
Ho, hoho,hoho."

mick Fri May 03, 2002 09:55am

"If you think you use your feet
when you cross the street,
Here's a surprise....
Cuz you pal Howdy knows
if you had fifty toes...
You still cross the street with your eyes...."

Mark Padgett Fri May 03, 2002 02:31pm

Quote:

Quote:

[BI also enjoyed Thor and his hammer.
"Are you Thor?"
"Thertainly!!" :D

"Pluck your magic twanger,Froggy!!" (for Mark)

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on May 3rd, 2002 at 04:51 AM] [/B]
Capn' Andy (Andy Devine - the same guy who played Jingles in the Wild Bill Hickok series) called for Froggy the Gremlin and his magic twanger (how Freudian) on the old Buster Brown show. "I'm Buster Brown, I live in a shoe. That's my dog Tige, he lives there too." Devine was the second host of the show. The first was "Smilin'" Ed McConnell (or O'Connell - I can't remember which), who started on the show in radio and did the first year on TV. Buster Brown was played by some guy who also was one of the munchkins in the Wizard of Oz movie (the story of Oz Ref?). The Buster Brown character was created by the famous cartoonist, R.F. Outcault, who is also credited with creating the first comic strip ever, "The Yeller Kid", a blatantly racist anti-Asian character, for the old New York World.

As for Thor - here's an old joke. I apologize if it offends anyone.

The morning after a huge orgy in Asgaard, home of the Norse gods, one guy finally wakes up. He looks around, beats his chest and declares, "I'm Thor."

A girl next to him looks up and says, "You're thor? I'm tho thor I can hardly pith." :p

rcwilco Fri May 03, 2002 04:44pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[B]
Quote:

Anyone remember Tom Terrific and Mr. Wizard or Crusador Rabbit or Howdy Doody or.....
Sure. Tom Terrific and Mighty Dog Manfred. Tom's hat was an inverted coronet and he would take it off and play it. Mr. Wizard was on NBC and his name was Don Herbert. Crusador Rabbit's pal was Rags the tiger.

The wizard I was talking about was on Tom Terrific, there was a kid who was never happy with who he was and so the wizard would turn him into another person or animal and the kid would always end up begging to be changed back. The wizard would chant some cute phrase and then always end it with "time to change this one back". Ring any bells?

I guess working three man for the first time and then comnig home to read this brought back a lot of things I had forgotten.

By the by, for those listening I went to a summer league here in Seattle last night and did my first three man. I am sure it must have looked hilarious to others as I attempted to adapt but I loved it. I can not wait to do some more and learn it better in camp this summer. (Had some great officials to work with and be taught by.)

Mark Padgett Fri May 03, 2002 05:22pm

Quote:

Anyone remember Tom Terrific and Mr. Wizard or Crusador Rabbit or Howdy Doody or..... The wizard I was talking about was on Tom Terrific, there was a kid who was never happy with who he was and so the wizard would turn him into another person or animal and the kid would always end up begging to be changed back. The wizard would chant some cute phrase and then always end it with "time to change this one back". Ring any bells?
Yeah, there was a wizard on Tom Terrific as you describe. However Mr. Wizard was a live show that was about teaching kids science. Don Herbert would be in his house and a neighbor kid (usually someone named Bobby or Susie) would come to visit (I'm not sure that would work in today's atmosphere) and ask some question about science. Mr. Wizard would then have them help him conduct some simple experiment using household items, such as milk bottles, balloons and a particle accelerator (just kidding).

Don't discount the importance of Winky Dink - the first interactive television show. You could buy a static clinging piece of plastic to cover your TV screen. It came with crayons. Winky, who was animated, would get into a predicament and then you would have to draw on the plastic to help him. For instance, he would fall down a manhole and you would have to draw a ladder for him. They would have a dotted line in the cartoon to show you where to draw. I always would do something like draw a cover on the manhole instead, just to trap him. One day, he fell out of an airplane and you were supposed to draw a parachute. I drew an anvil to make him crash quicker. My sister started crying because she thought I was trying to kill Winky Dink.

They had to stop because too many kids were drawing directly on their TVs. The show had a live host, Jack Barry, who went on to host Tic Tac Dough and Twenty-One (not two-one ;) ) Barry was later fired in the quiz show scandals. See the movie "Quiz Show" for his story.

Geez, this takes me back. I have a friend named Ed Winkler and we call him Winky. He is too young to have seen the show and has no idea who Winky Dink was. He has looked up some stuff on the net, but it's not the same as a real memory.