The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rec league rules quiz (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4802-rec-league-rules-quiz.html)

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 04:28pm

NO Mark, as i stated, i havn't granted the TO. To me granting the TO means i blew the whistle. In my examples i havn't Beeped.

Mark Padgett Wed May 01, 2002 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
NO Mark, as i stated, i havn't granted the TO. To me granting the TO means i blew the whistle. In my examples i havn't Beeped.
I have the reputation for having the "fastest whistle in the West". I make Steve Javhe (sp?) look like a slowpoke.

Ya' snooze, ya' lose. ;)

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 04:44pm

Steve doesn't have a quick whistle. He would just as soon T you as look at you. Which is a good thing. Steve Javie-sp-? is my hero. Now that i say that i guess i should learn how to spell his name. :)

mick Wed May 01, 2002 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson

example 2) Official has the ball and getting ready for a throwin; coach,"TO", asst. or table say. "coach, you are out of TO's", coach, " I don't want the TO". Ok no problem we continue with the throwin. This is two examples, i sure we can think of more. My point is, just asking for a TO doesn't mean you have to grant it.

Mick, Obviously there's no rule for the "not grant". I certainly don't have a problem with granting the TO in my 1st example. Now, I ask you, are you going to grant the TO in my 2nd example?
[/QUOTE]

Bart,
That looks like a HTBT sitch.
The question in my mind would be, "Did I hear the request, and all that other conversation?" Because, if the other Coach heard it, I had better have a ready answer to that question.
We're not to far apart on this. If you're my partner, whatever you do works for me.
mick

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 05:05pm

OK, i can live with what you are saying. HTBT.

Mark Dexter Wed May 01, 2002 09:21pm

In order to not give away the answers, let me just say this as my answer:

Travelling quiz.

QED

Dan_ref Wed May 01, 2002 09:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Without a doubt, this is one of the best and cleverest posts I have ever seen here. Congratulations. I guess you figured out I designed it to be easy to grade.

Well geeze, thanks.

Quote:

As for Tony's five bucks - have him take a cookie out of petty cash.

Seems I've read this before on that "other" board. Can't
seem to remember who...think...think... ;)

w_sohl Wed May 01, 2002 10:29pm

Quote:

_____ 14) While shooting a two-point shot, A1 is intentionally fouled by B1. The shot goes in the basket. The basket counts and A1 will be awarded one free throw, then Team A will get possession of the ball for a throw-in.

So, why doesn't the shooter get one shot for the made basket and then the two shots + the ball for the intentional?

Dan_ref Wed May 01, 2002 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:

_____ 14) While shooting a two-point shot, A1 is intentionally fouled by B1. The shot goes in the basket. The basket counts and A1 will be awarded one free throw, then Team A will get possession of the ball for a throw-in.

So, why doesn't the shooter get one shot for the made basket and then the two shots + the ball for the intentional?

Because the foul is an intentional foul and the penalty
for an intentional foul is 2 shots and the ball at the
spot of the foul.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed May 01, 2002 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Stan
I'll just plead my case on all them:

#4 Is rolling different than sliding?

#9 Are we talking about degree of contact, he was attempting to play the ball.

#12 Doesn't the arrow change when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder or is this a bounus FT question?

#14 Let me quess, he should get 2 shots due to the T from the intentional foul.

Hey,Thanks for the quiz and the replies. Good thread for me.

Where is there a technical foul in #14?

w_sohl Wed May 01, 2002 10:55pm

Quote:

Mark Dexter Wed May 01, 2002 11:00pm

Quote:

Because this isn't a common foul.

As an intentional personal foul, the penalty is two shots plus ball (let's not complicate it with a missed 3-pt attempt). You never penalize a single foul more than once or in more than one way.

That of course, brings up the coveted ten-point play. How does this work, you ask?

A1 puts up a 3pt attempt.
On the shot, B1 intentionally fouls A1.
A1's shot is good - THREE POINTS
Referee reports shot good, foul, and two FT's.
B's coach earns a technical foul - make that four FT's.
A1 makes his two FT's - FIVE POINTS
A2 makes the two T FT's - SEVEN POINTS
A2 inbounds to A1, who immediately makes another 3pt'er. - TEN POINTS.

:D

Mark Padgett Thu May 02, 2002 12:13am

Quote:

Quote:

Mark Dexter answered this above, but another way of thinking of it is that there is just one foul committed, not two - so you administer the penalty for that one foul. Since it is intentional, you administer the penalty for an intentional foul, just as Mark described.

Besides, as Judge Judy would say - THAT'S THE RULE!

Mark Padgett Thu May 02, 2002 12:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

- have him take a cookie out of petty cash.

Gee,now where have I seen that one before?:D [/B]
I know what you're implying. If you research properly, you'll see that I first said that at least a year ago. I told you I read some of his posts and a few of them seem to copy my patterns and quotes. You'll probably see more of that as time goes by.

I don't know whether I should be flattered or angry. I wish he'd get his own material.

Jurassic Referee Thu May 02, 2002 04:24am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

- have him take a cookie out of petty cash.

Gee,now where have I seen that one before?:D
I know what you're implying. If you research properly, you'll see that I first said that at least a year ago. I told you I read some of his posts and a few of them seem to copy my patterns and quotes. You'll probably see more of that as time goes by.

I don't know whether I should be flattered or angry. I wish he'd get his own material. [/B]
Let me tell you exactly how I feel about it!! Groucho,Zeppo,Harpo,Chico & Gummo--wasn't there one more briefly somewhere along the line?
This is waaaaay more important than Bob's true identity.
Btw,my original guess was that it was MTD Sr.:D