Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 28, 2002, 12:20am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Gee,Mark,you have been refereeing a lot longer than I have!I bow to your experience.
As I've stated before, I began just before dirt was invented.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2002, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: 9-1 Note

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
[i]
I worked AAU tourneys the last two weekends and can tell you that the Women's NCAA rule is simply archaic. There's all this unnecessary contact on made FTs. It also give a big advantage to the shooting team. Yep, you heard me right. When the shot goes up, the shooter's teammate in the thrid space has a distinct advantage. If the defender moves into the lane, she can go around her to the baseline and gain inside position. I've seen it over and over again during the last two weekends. JMHO.
Sounds like we need a rule to penalize good hustle by the shooting team.
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Lack of sufficient action.
For those who don't remember, this one was repealed in the early 90's. I do not recall specifics, but in general this ruled said (loosely) that if a team was down by 10 points or more, then that team must make a play to the basket within 10 seconds if closely guarded. If a team was winning by 10 points or more, then they must closely defend an opponent with the ball.
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 01:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mlancaster
For those who don't remember, this one was repealed in the early 90's. I do not recall specifics, but in general this ruled said (loosely) that if a team was down by 10 points or more, then that team must make a play to the basket within 10 seconds if closely guarded. If a team was winning by 10 points or more, then they must closely defend an opponent with the ball.
Was that a local rule?The old FED rule said that the team behind,or the defense(if the score was tied)was responsible for the action.They spelled out what action had to be taken,too.The penalty was a T for non-compliance,and "closely guarded" wasn't a part of the rule.This old rule actually evolved into the "closely guarded" rule that we use now.
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 02:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mlancaster
Was that a local rule?The old FED rule said that the team behind,or the defense(if the score was tied)was responsible for the action.They spelled out what action had to be taken,too.The penalty was a T for non-compliance,and "closely guarded" wasn't a part of the rule.This old rule actually evolved into the "closely guarded" rule that we use now.

Thank you Jurassic for setting Young Grasshopper straight on the "lack of sufficient action" rule. The sad thing is that are H.S. coaches out there who still think the rule exsists in some form.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

OK, so now it all comes back to me! So its been a while.....
Thanks for the refresher.
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: 9-1 Note

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
[i]
I worked AAU tourneys the last two weekends and can tell you that the Women's NCAA rule is simply archaic. There's all this unnecessary contact on made FTs. It also give a big advantage to the shooting team. Yep, you heard me right. When the shot goes up, the shooter's teammate in the thrid space has a distinct advantage. If the defender moves into the lane, she can go around her to the baseline and gain inside position. I've seen it over and over again during the last two weekends. JMHO.
Sounds like we need a rule to penalize good hustle by the shooting team.
Hustle has nothing to do with it. The shooting team simply has the most advantageous position. The best space to have is the third space.