The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

The new rules changes are in, and I'm curious what you guys think is the worst rule that was later overturned.
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I think they should add a shot clock to HS basketball. I have seen too many games where a team gets a lead in the second quarter, and plays keep-away. 35 seconds is plenty of time to shoot the ball.
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Not that I totally disagree with you, but you are going to have to come up with a better argument than "35 seconds is plenty of time to shoot the ball". The schools in my state (KS) are getting severe budget cuts and the particular school in my town fired both tenured librarians as a desperate attempt to get under budget. I am guessing someone asking for $3000 or more for a shot clock for basketball would get as much of a response as I did when I said they were going to have to pay more to get me to do their jr. high tournaments. Answer: Thanks, we'll let you know.
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

9-1 Note

The experiment of "until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends" failed. Let's go back to the old way, please!
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: 9-1 Note

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach

The experiment of "until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends" failed. Let's go back to the old way, please!
Hey PA! Glad to see you finally found this place!
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 10:15pm
In Memoriam

One of the worst ones was the old rule that,if a player committed a foul,it was mandatory that he/she had to raise their hand to identify themselves to the scorer.If they didn't within 5 seconds,you were supposed to nail them with an automatic T.Not only that,they had to raise their hand straight up in the air.If the arm was bent,or they waved their hand,we were still supposed to issue a T for not raising their hand "properly".It was just an absolutely idiotic rule.You would call a tough foul in a close game,and then have to worry about whether an arm is late going up or not straight enough.There were a lot of warnings issued,but not many T's were called.This one only lasted a coupla years before they got rid of it.
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: 9-1 Note

Quote:

First, welcome APC. TH here.

Second, I like the rule. I think it eliminates all the banging and bumping on made FTs. I worked AAU tourneys the last two weekends and can tell you that the Women's NCAA rule is simply archaic. There's all this unnecessary contact on made FTs. It also give a big advantage to the shooting team. Yep, you heard me right. When the shot goes up, the shooter's teammate in the thrid space has a distinct advantage. If the defender moves into the lane, she can go around her to the baseline and gain inside position. I've seen it over and over again during the last two weekends. JMHO.

Glad to have you here, coach.
Old Sat Apr 27, 2002, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
. I am guessing someone asking for $3000 or more for a shot clock for basketball would get as much of a response as I did when I said they were going to have to pay more to get me to do their jr. high tournaments.
Besides, it's hard enough finding one person responsible enough to know to stop the clock on the whistle and start it on the chop, now you have to find someone with enough intellect to know to reset the clock when it touches the rim or worse yet give them the responsibility of knowing when a change of possession occurs. I have worked some girls AAU tournaments with volunteers running the shot clock and it is always a nightmare.
Old Sat Apr 27, 2002, 10:44am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: 9-1 Note

Quote:

PA Coach,
Glad yer here.
mick
Old Sat Apr 27, 2002, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
One of the worst ones was the old rule that,if a player committed a foul,it was mandatory that he/she had to raise their hand to identify themselves to the scorer.
I would like to see this part come back. - You did it now take the blame like a man.

When I was coaching I made my kids raise their hand. Kids did not like it but as time went on they realized that they were fouling less than other teams.
Old Sat Apr 27, 2002, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
One of the worst ones was the old rule that,if a player committed a foul,it was mandatory that he/she had to raise their hand to identify themselves to the scorer.
I would like to see this part come back. - You did it now take the blame like a man.

When I was coaching I made my kids raise their hand. Kids did not like it but as time went on they realized that they were fouling less than other teams.
what if the ref blew the call and no one had any idea who the foul was on(i.e. off ball foul). that seams like a silly tech and for what, cause a kid had a phantom foul called on him and now gets a tech for not bailing the ref out.
Old Sat Apr 27, 2002, 04:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:

what if the ref blew the call and no one had any idea who the foul was on(i.e. off ball foul). that seams like a silly tech and for what, cause a kid had a phantom foul called on him and now gets a tech for not bailing the ref out.
The mechanic was that you bird-dogged practically every foul so that the player called was aware that the foul was on him.The problem that the rule was trying to address was that scorers were supposedly having problems recording fouls on the proper player.This problem was due more to us officials being lax in our reporting mechanics to the scorer than actually being the fault of the players.The rules committee finally recognised this,and when they took the rule out,they stressed the importance of us reporting fouls properly.That pretty much took care of the problem.Personally,I always felt that there was a big difference between a player being a little frustrated when he committed a foul at a bad time,and the player actually committing an unsportsmanlike act.Taking that particular rule out let us use some judgement again,instead of having to call an automatic T for a relatively harmless act.
Old Sat Apr 27, 2002, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

jr
the history of that mechanic actually makes sense now. thanks.
Old Sat Apr 27, 2002, 05:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by utex
The new rules changes are in, and I'm curious what you guys think is the worst rule that was later overturned.
The worst rule that was later overturned was Dr. Naismith's original rule #6. This rule stated (among other things) that traveling or hitting the ball with the fist were fouls.

Also, his rule #7 stated that if a team had three consecutive fouls, the other team got credit for a goal.

And, of course, the infamous rule #9 which, on OOB plays, gave the ball to the player who could get to it first. This lead to courts being "caged in" with chicken wire to prevent balls and players from going up into the stands. This also was the reason basketball players were called "cagers" for many years.

Add to this list the jump ball at center court following every basket and I think we've covered most of them.
Old Sat Apr 27, 2002, 06:27pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Gee,Mark,you have been refereeing a lot longer than I have!I bow to your experience.