The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Talking

Coming to the end of my 10th and best season ever and reflecting on everything--I honestly asked myself why I do this.

Top 5 Reasons

#5--the extra income helps with vacations & Christmas presents
#4--I get to stay involved with the game--while the glory days are long gone, the Friday Night Lights are addictive and I enjoy the adrenaline rush associated with the roar of the crowd
#3--It gets me off of the couch and keeps me active. I would weigh 400 pounds if I wasn't reffing 2-3 nights per week!
#2--I love being right all the time (even when I'm wrong)! Just kidding!
#1--Fellowship and camradarie with other officials. I guarantee you, it is the war stories, baby back ribs, and the beers that keep me motivated. Our football crew and wives had a super bowl party at one of the guy's house. Our basketball association has an annual banquet-etc. If I had to drive my car to the game, work it, shower, and drive home with no conversation or fellowship--I would not be here today! When we recruit new officials--WE HAVE TO GET THEM INVOLVED IN THIS PART OF THIS AVOCATION. The exercise and the pay checks just aren't enough!

God Bless!
Old Fri Feb 18, 2000, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Good point! My first time at an association meeting was capped by an invite from one of the best known officials in our area (crew did a state final game this year) to have a couple with some of the others. It really makes a new guy feel like he belongs when the guys who get the big games make an effort to include you.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2000, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Well stated!!

Old Fri Feb 18, 2000, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I totally agree, and when you don't work for a while with guys you enjoy being with, it's not the same.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2000, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Allow me to respond with why I stick around. No, I have not gone out with any of the big officials in my association or any of the little ones for that matter. But I do enjoy those long rides in the country with some strange man or woman whom I never met before, headed to a gym I have never been to before. All we have in common is we both wear strips on the court. I've made the ride with rookies and I have made the ride with veterans who call college ball. I also enjoy Calling a JV game and having the Varsity officials come in and tell me what I am doing wrong. Going out into the second half and working on that item. I like going to halftime of their game and telling them how they can improve. And they don't take it as an insult but as something else they correct. I like staying close to the youth of this great country. I like watching them develope from a 7th grader who can't control a basketball to a 6'8" player who can jam the ball through the basket flat footed. I enjoy the summer time where I can pretend I am Mr Bigtime and call a varsity game between two great rivals. Even though for this version of the game we only have parents watching. I enjoy the summer tournaments where kids try to impress scouts and so do we. Were we call games totally out of our league and live to tell about it. But most of all I enjoy making a new friend every night. That my friend is the greatest blessing of all.

[This message has been edited by Tim Roden (edited February 18, 2000).]
Old Fri Feb 18, 2000, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Great posts...

Just finished my fourth season, and I'm gonna do this until my body won't let me anymore. Here's why:

I like the during part. While I'm on the floor, I am completely immersed in another zone--I leave the planet for a while. I am being challenged in every way I can be challenged: physically (I'm not an athlete, so it's tough for me to keep up with high school kids), intellectually (remembering those rules instantaneously, especially the wacky ones), philosophically (if I don't call this one, what will the consequences be?), interpersonally (what do I have to do to get along with this partner and these coaches tonight), and emotionally (how do I respond to kicking a big one? how do I keep from telling that coach exactly what a butthead he/she is?). It FORCES me to be at my best, and I like rising to that challenge. I like the beers with colleagues, the extra bucks, and the staying in shape, but most of all, I like the time between the tip and the buzzer when I've got one friend in the world and an incredibly challenging job to do that differs substantially every time I do it.

Paul
Old Sat Feb 19, 2000, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to MRGOLF
Cool

BK so well put. The relationships you make with people in your unit can last a lifetime. I've met some of my best friends and my boss through ref'n. Getting together on Fri. and Sat. nights from the 1st year guy to the D1 regular can be such great learning experiences.