Thread: Why I Ref
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 18, 2000, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Allow me to respond with why I stick around. No, I have not gone out with any of the big officials in my association or any of the little ones for that matter. But I do enjoy those long rides in the country with some strange man or woman whom I never met before, headed to a gym I have never been to before. All we have in common is we both wear strips on the court. I've made the ride with rookies and I have made the ride with veterans who call college ball. I also enjoy Calling a JV game and having the Varsity officials come in and tell me what I am doing wrong. Going out into the second half and working on that item. I like going to halftime of their game and telling them how they can improve. And they don't take it as an insult but as something else they correct. I like staying close to the youth of this great country. I like watching them develope from a 7th grader who can't control a basketball to a 6'8" player who can jam the ball through the basket flat footed. I enjoy the summer time where I can pretend I am Mr Bigtime and call a varsity game between two great rivals. Even though for this version of the game we only have parents watching. I enjoy the summer tournaments where kids try to impress scouts and so do we. Were we call games totally out of our league and live to tell about it. But most of all I enjoy making a new friend every night. That my friend is the greatest blessing of all.

[This message has been edited by Tim Roden (edited February 18, 2000).]