The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Multi Sport Officiating (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/47433-multi-sport-officiating.html)

jcref Sat Aug 16, 2008 05:59pm

Multi Sport Officiating

Does any one officiate more than one sport??

BktBallRef Sat Aug 16, 2008 07:39pm

Yes.

jcref Sat Aug 16, 2008 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by msavakinas
at one point 4... but there's two main ones i plan to advance in

Do you officiate any other sport?

JRutledge Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:42pm

Yes.

Peace

Mark Padgett Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcref

You mean - at the same time?

3SPORT Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:10pm

The name says it all.:D

tjones1 Sun Aug 17, 2008 02:25am

Yes.

Wisscott Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:33am

Personally, I currently hold a Master level in 5 different sports, football, volleyball, basketball, softball and baseball. Don't have a favorite, I like them all.

DonInKansas Sun Aug 17, 2008 08:33am

BB and BSB for me.

BillyMac Sun Aug 17, 2008 08:40am

Oldie But Goody ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Yes.

I'm a retired science teacher. BktBallRef's answer to jcref's question reminds me of a "teacher" joke that I used many times over my 30-plus years of teaching:

Student: "Mr. BillyMac. Do you know what time it is?"
Mr. BillyMac: "Yes."
Imagine the sound of crickets chirping for several seconds ...

Question asked. Question answered. The lesson: It's important, as part of the scientific method, to to word scientific questions properly.

BillyMac Sun Aug 17, 2008 08:47am

They Keep Coming ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
At the same time?

I didn't get it the first time I read it, but after reading it a second time, the humor in this simple answer is over the top. Please keep these zingers coming.

Mark Padgett: Don't you officiate croquet? Certainly you could officiate a croquet game, or match, or whatever it's called, and at the same time judge an acrobatic airplane competition going on over the field, pitch, or whatever it's called. Two sports at the same time.

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 17, 2008 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcref

Lacrosse: 1 season
Baseball: 2 summers
Football: in my 13th season (still active)
Basketball: starting my 14th season (still active)
Women's Beach Volleyball: starting soon

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 17, 2008 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
You mean - at the same time?

A friend of mine had this happen to him. Yes, there was an odd set of circumstances for this to happen...

Officiated a women's provincial high school gold medal game, and drove to another city 3 hours away to work the lines in a provincial football final.

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 17, 2008 09:38am

Tx to science teachers... and all teachers really

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
I'm a retired science teacher. BktBallRef's answer to jcref's question reminds me of a "teacher" joke that I used many times over my 30-plus years of teaching:

Student: "Mr. BillyMac. Do you know what time it is?"
Mr. BillyMac: "Yes."

Question asked. Question answered. The lesson: It's important, as part of the scientific method, to to word scientific questions properly.

My grade 10 physics teacher, Mr. Robertson, told us a story about the importance of always including the units in an answer:

(Background: Ontario roads have speed limits measured in kilometres per hour) In his story, he was travelling throughout the Canadian prairies one fine summer. He passed a sign that said "Maximum 80". So he started going 80..... miles per hour.

Naturally, a police car saw this and started the pursuit. When the officer accused Mr. Robertson of speeding, Mr. Robertson pointed out that the sign said 80 and he was doing 80. Because the sign didn't specify the units, the police officer had no reason to ticket him.

While I believed the story to be fake, the lesson of always including the units was clear as day!

Rich Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisscott
Personally, I currently hold a Master level in 5 different sports, football, volleyball, basketball, softball and baseball. Don't have a favorite, I like them all.

I live in WI and am amazed at how low the bar is to be a "Master" official here. My biggest gripe was as a transfer into the state I had to start at a low level and work up, even with (demonstrable) 15 or more years experience in 3 sports. Sounded to me like a way to put new residence in their place while giving long-term smitties a hand up. Found out the level didn't matter as I worked full varsity schedules as an L1, although I couldn't work any basketball playoffs until my third year here. But after a few years, I was able to climb to Master in all 3 I work. Now it's a case of getting the tests in on time and making it to the rules meetings (that I hope will all be online soon).

I wouldn't work softball at gunpoint, and volleyball would interfere with football season, although the idea of standing on a podium watching volleyball for money sounds strangely appealing.