The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Multi Sport Officiating (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/47433-multi-sport-officiating.html)

jcref Sat Aug 16, 2008 05:59pm

Multi Sport Officiating

Does any one officiate more than one sport??

BktBallRef Sat Aug 16, 2008 07:39pm

Yes.

jcref Sat Aug 16, 2008 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by msavakinas
at one point 4... but there's two main ones i plan to advance in

Do you officiate any other sport?

JRutledge Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:42pm

Yes.

Peace

Mark Padgett Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcref

You mean - at the same time?

3SPORT Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:10pm

The name says it all.:D

tjones1 Sun Aug 17, 2008 02:25am

Yes.

Wisscott Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:33am

Personally, I currently hold a Master level in 5 different sports, football, volleyball, basketball, softball and baseball. Don't have a favorite, I like them all.

DonInKansas Sun Aug 17, 2008 08:33am

BB and BSB for me.

BillyMac Sun Aug 17, 2008 08:40am

Oldie But Goody ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Yes.

I'm a retired science teacher. BktBallRef's answer to jcref's question reminds me of a "teacher" joke that I used many times over my 30-plus years of teaching:

Student: "Mr. BillyMac. Do you know what time it is?"
Mr. BillyMac: "Yes."
Imagine the sound of crickets chirping for several seconds ...

Question asked. Question answered. The lesson: It's important, as part of the scientific method, to to word scientific questions properly.

BillyMac Sun Aug 17, 2008 08:47am

They Keep Coming ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
At the same time?

I didn't get it the first time I read it, but after reading it a second time, the humor in this simple answer is over the top. Please keep these zingers coming.

Mark Padgett: Don't you officiate croquet? Certainly you could officiate a croquet game, or match, or whatever it's called, and at the same time judge an acrobatic airplane competition going on over the field, pitch, or whatever it's called. Two sports at the same time.

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 17, 2008 09:26am

Quote:

Lacrosse: 1 season
Baseball: 2 summers
Football: in my 13th season (still active)
Basketball: starting my 14th season (still active)
Women's Beach Volleyball: starting soon

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 17, 2008 09:32am

Quote:

A friend of mine had this happen to him. Yes, there was an odd set of circumstances for this to happen...

Officiated a women's provincial high school gold medal game, and drove to another city 3 hours away to work the lines in a provincial football final.

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 17, 2008 09:38am

Tx to science teachers... and all teachers really

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
I'm a retired science teacher. BktBallRef's answer to jcref's question reminds me of a "teacher" joke that I used many times over my 30-plus years of teaching:

Question asked. Question answered. The lesson: It's important, as part of the scientific method, to to word scientific questions properly.

My grade 10 physics teacher, Mr. Robertson, told us a story about the importance of always including the units in an answer:

(Background: Ontario roads have speed limits measured in kilometres per hour) In his story, he was travelling throughout the Canadian prairies one fine summer. He passed a sign that said "Maximum 80". So he started going 80..... miles per hour.

Naturally, a police car saw this and started the pursuit. When the officer accused Mr. Robertson of speeding, Mr. Robertson pointed out that the sign said 80 and he was doing 80. Because the sign didn't specify the units, the police officer had no reason to ticket him.

While I believed the story to be fake, the lesson of always including the units was clear as day!

Rich Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisscott
Personally, I currently hold a Master level in 5 different sports, football, volleyball, basketball, softball and baseball. Don't have a favorite, I like them all.

I live in WI and am amazed at how low the bar is to be a "Master" official here. My biggest gripe was as a transfer into the state I had to start at a low level and work up, even with (demonstrable) 15 or more years experience in 3 sports. Sounded to me like a way to put new residence in their place while giving long-term smitties a hand up. Found out the level didn't matter as I worked full varsity schedules as an L1, although I couldn't work any basketball playoffs until my third year here. But after a few years, I was able to climb to Master in all 3 I work. Now it's a case of getting the tests in on time and making it to the rules meetings (that I hope will all be online soon).

I wouldn't work softball at gunpoint, and volleyball would interfere with football season, although the idea of standing on a podium watching volleyball for money sounds strangely appealing.

Mark Padgett Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:16am

Quote:

Mark Padgett: Don't you officiate croquet?

You have a good memory. Yes, I posted the story of how I once "officiated" a croquet match. It was a charity fundraising event and there was a match between a local Lions Club and a retirement center. They both recruited local "celebrities" to also play on their teams and they asked me to "officiate" and also narrate the match with a bullhorn (not that I really need one) during play.

The funniest part was that my then-State Representative, who was the most unathletic guy I've ever met, actually lost to some lady from the retirement center who had to use a walker! I've never let him forget that but I might reconsider teasing him about it since he is now in charge of our state prison system!

truerookie Sun Aug 17, 2008 01:00pm

Quote:

You have a good memory. Yes, I posted the story of how I once "officiated" a croquet match. It was a charity fundraising event and there was a match between a local Lions Club and a retirement center. They both recruited local "celebrities" to also play on their teams and they asked me to "officiate" and also narrate the match with a bullhorn (not that I really need one) during play.

The funniest part was that my then-State Representative, who was the most unathletic guy I've ever met, actually lost to some lady from the retirement center who had to use a walker! I've never let him forget that but I might reconsider teasing him about it since he is now in charge of our state prison system!

Goes well together Mark:)

grunewar Sun Aug 17, 2008 05:05pm

Quote:

Imagine the sound of crickets chirping for several seconds ...

When I got my instructor credentials in the military I too learned a similar, valuable lesson.

Young Instructor (me) at the end of my presentation: Are there any questions?
Evaluator: What did you have for dinner last night?
Me: :confused:

Next Class, at the end of class: Are there any questions pertaining to this block of instruction as I have explained it to you?
Evaluator: No.
Me: :cool:

Lesson Learned!

canuckrefguy Sun Aug 17, 2008 06:59pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
Yes.

You guys are a-holes, hahaha :D

Mark Padgett Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy

Is that Canadian slang for "hoser", eh?

keyzersoze Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:37pm

Basketball (2nd year coming up)
Baseball (just finished third year)
Coach 7th FB and 7th GBB

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:39pm

Quote:

Is that Canadian slang for "hoser", eh?

Everything is slang for hoser. :D

BillyMac Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:56pm

Another Oldie But Goody ...

Another reoccurring "teacher" question/answer:

Student (with a runny nose): "Mr. BillyMac. May I borrow a tissue?"
Mr. Billy Mac: "No. I'll give you one. You can keep it. I don't want it back."

canuckrefguy Mon Aug 18, 2008 01:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Everything is slang for hoser. :D

But you have to be holding a Molson in one hand, and a back bacon sandwich in the other.

JugglingReferee Mon Aug 18, 2008 06:11am

Quote:

Another reoccurring "teacher" question/answer:

Student (with a runny nose): "Mr. BillyMac. May I borrow a tissue?"
Mr. Billy Mac: "No. I'll give you one. You can keep it. I don't want it back."

Student: My. BillyMac, can I ask you a question?

BillyMac: You just did.

Student: Can I ask you another question?

BillyMac: You just did that too.

Student: Can I ask you another questions, after this one?

BillyMac: Yes.

Student: :confused:.

Raymond Mon Aug 18, 2008 07:59am

Quote:

Duh, have you not heard of Jon Deibler?

dblref Mon Aug 18, 2008 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3SPORT
The name says it all.:D

As does mine.:)

bob jenkins Mon Aug 18, 2008 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Student: My. BillyMac, can I ask you a question?

BillyMac: You just did.

Student: Can I ask you another question?

BillyMac: You just did that too.

Student: Can I ask you another questions, after this one?

BillyMac: Yes.

Student: :confused:.

Potential Client: How much do you charge?

Attorney: $500 for three questions.

PC: Isn't that kind of expensive?

Att: Yes it is. Now, what's your third question?

IREFU2 Mon Aug 18, 2008 09:56am

Quote:

Nope, no multi-tasking here!!!! LOL....

BlitzkriegBob Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:25am

Quote:

I don't even do basketball but I wander over here on occasion to sample Mark's wit. You guys are definitely the most entertaining board on this site!

The weirdest thing I've officiated is a bed race. Being from a small town in Indiana that has only one other official (and he's a basketball guy so of course nobody likes him) when they decided last year to reinstate the bed race in to our town festival I was asked to "officiate" this monumental event. Nothing noteworthy happened and there was only one race that was close at the finish line so if I had been paid anything it would have been easy money.

What I would like to get my foot in the door for is a job officiating American Gladiators. I don't have one of those striped shirts but I've been practicing my "Contenders ready?!! Gladiators ready?!!"

Scrapper1 Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
I wander over here on occasion to sample Mark's wit.

If that qualifies as entertainment in Indiana, then that may be the saddest commentary on small-town America I've ever read.

Quote:

The weirdest thing I've officiated is a bed race.
On second thought. . . :D

Adam Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
If that qualifies as entertainment in Indiana, then that may be the saddest commentary on small-town America I've ever read.

I'm not saying it qualifies as a sad commentary on softball umpires; but I'm not not saying it.

Welpe Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'm not saying it qualifies as a sad commentary on softball umpires; but I'm not not saying it.

Interesting uhm...double-negative? ;)

I currently work football (going into 2nd year) and softball (3 years) and am taking a break from baseball (10 years). I have also considered working basketball but if I do, I probably won't start that until I move to Texas next year. I've also considered Lacrosse....yes I have a problem settling on just one sport. :rolleyes:

Mark Padgett Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:09pm

I have a friend that officiates water polo. He says it's a lot of fun, except when they have to stop the match to rescue one of the horses.

When that joke was first told, the Dead Sea was just sick. :p

JugglingReferee Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins

No wonder for the existance of lawyer jokes. I still like Cellino and Barnes ads, though.

ILRef80 Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:48pm

Quote:

Yes. Basketball, Baseball and Football. I'm still getting my feet wet with football, it is a lot to learn.

Mark Padgett Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILRef80
I'm still getting my feet wet with football

Here in Oregon, you even get your feet wet working indoor sports. :)

TimTaylor Mon Aug 18, 2008 02:17pm

Highschool basketball & volleyball, and lines for college volleyball. Once in awhile I still officiate a fencing tournament here & there as well......

Mark Padgett Mon Aug 18, 2008 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Once in awhile I still officiate a fencing tournament here & there as well......

Do the rules state what kind of nails they have to use? :p

jdmara Mon Aug 18, 2008 02:37pm

Quote:

Mark, I have to ask. I always enjoy reading your posts because they are witty. However, what percentage of your posts do you think are jokes? :rolleyes: And what percentage are seriously answering the questions at hand?

Keep up the great work!

-Josh

Adam Mon Aug 18, 2008 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara
Mark, I have to ask. I always enjoy reading your posts because they are witty. However, what percentage of your posts do you think are jokes?

120%

Quote:

:rolleyes: And what percentage are seriously answering the questions at hand?

I believe we're left with -20% now.

tjones1 Mon Aug 18, 2008 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy

:p

Alright, alright.... in fairness... football, basketball, and baseball.

LOL.

canuckrefguy Mon Aug 18, 2008 03:04pm

Quote:

I have a friend that officiates water polo. He says it's a lot of fun, except when they have to stop the match to rescue one of the horses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Once in awhile I still officiate a fencing tournament here & there as well......

Quote:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E0PIdWdw15U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E0PIdWdw15U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mark Padgett Mon Aug 18, 2008 03:27pm

Quote:

Mark, I have to ask. I always enjoy reading your posts because they are witty. However, what percentage of your posts do you think are jokes? :rolleyes: And what percentage are seriously answering the questions at hand?

Keep up the great work!

-Josh

What do you mean, jokes? I try to answer all post questions seriously.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Aug 18, 2008 04:27pm

Quote:

I have been accused of that many times. :D

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Mon Aug 18, 2008 06:51pm

He'll Be Here All Week Folks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins

Good one. As good, or better, than anything Mark Padgett has come up with lately, and he's the best on the Forum.

BillyMac Mon Aug 18, 2008 06:55pm

NFHS Or NCAA ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
The weirdest thing I've officiated is a bed race.

Varsity or junior varsity?