The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Multi Sport Officiating (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/47433-multi-sport-officiating.html)

Mark Padgett Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Mark Padgett: Don't you officiate croquet?

You have a good memory. Yes, I posted the story of how I once "officiated" a croquet match. It was a charity fundraising event and there was a match between a local Lions Club and a retirement center. They both recruited local "celebrities" to also play on their teams and they asked me to "officiate" and also narrate the match with a bullhorn (not that I really need one) during play.

The funniest part was that my then-State Representative, who was the most unathletic guy I've ever met, actually lost to some lady from the retirement center who had to use a walker! I've never let him forget that but I might reconsider teasing him about it since he is now in charge of our state prison system!

truerookie Sun Aug 17, 2008 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
You have a good memory. Yes, I posted the story of how I once "officiated" a croquet match. It was a charity fundraising event and there was a match between a local Lions Club and a retirement center. They both recruited local "celebrities" to also play on their teams and they asked me to "officiate" and also narrate the match with a bullhorn (not that I really need one) during play.

The funniest part was that my then-State Representative, who was the most unathletic guy I've ever met, actually lost to some lady from the retirement center who had to use a walker! I've never let him forget that but I might reconsider teasing him about it since he is now in charge of our state prison system!

Goes well together Mark:)

grunewar Sun Aug 17, 2008 05:05pm

Quote:

I'm a retired science teacher. BktBallRef's answer to jcref's question reminds me of a "teacher" joke that I used many times over my 30-plus years of teaching:

Student: "Mr. BillyMac. Do you know what time it is?"
Mr. BillyMac: "Yes."
Imagine the sound of crickets chirping for several seconds ...

Question asked. Question answered. The lesson: It's important, as part of the scientific method, to to word scientific questions properly.

When I got my instructor credentials in the military I too learned a similar, valuable lesson.

Young Instructor (me) at the end of my presentation: Are there any questions?
Evaluator: What did you have for dinner last night?
Me: :confused:

Next Class, at the end of class: Are there any questions pertaining to this block of instruction as I have explained it to you?
Evaluator: No.
Me: :cool:

Lesson Learned!

canuckrefguy Sun Aug 17, 2008 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcref
Does any one officiate more than one sport??

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
Yes.

You guys are a-holes, hahaha :D

Mark Padgett Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
You guys are a-holes, hahaha :D

Is that Canadian slang for "hoser", eh?

keyzersoze Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:37pm

Basketball (2nd year coming up)
Baseball (just finished third year)
Coach 7th FB and 7th GBB

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:39pm

Quote:

Is that Canadian slang for "hoser", eh?

Everything is slang for hoser. :D

BillyMac Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:56pm

Another Oldie But Goody ...

Another reoccurring "teacher" question/answer:

Student (with a runny nose): "Mr. BillyMac. May I borrow a tissue?"
Mr. Billy Mac: "No. I'll give you one. You can keep it. I don't want it back."

canuckrefguy Mon Aug 18, 2008 01:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Everything is slang for hoser. :D

But you have to be holding a Molson in one hand, and a back bacon sandwich in the other.

JugglingReferee Mon Aug 18, 2008 06:11am

Quote:

Another reoccurring "teacher" question/answer:

Student (with a runny nose): "Mr. BillyMac. May I borrow a tissue?"
Mr. Billy Mac: "No. I'll give you one. You can keep it. I don't want it back."

Student: My. BillyMac, can I ask you a question?

BillyMac: You just did.

Student: Can I ask you another question?

BillyMac: You just did that too.

Student: Can I ask you another questions, after this one?

BillyMac: Yes.

Student: :confused:.

Raymond Mon Aug 18, 2008 07:59am

Quote:

You mean - at the same time?

Duh, have you not heard of Jon Deibler?

dblref Mon Aug 18, 2008 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3SPORT
The name says it all.:D

As does mine.:)

bob jenkins Mon Aug 18, 2008 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Student: My. BillyMac, can I ask you a question?

BillyMac: You just did.

Student: Can I ask you another question?

BillyMac: You just did that too.

Student: Can I ask you another questions, after this one?

BillyMac: Yes.

Student: :confused:.

Potential Client: How much do you charge?

Attorney: $500 for three questions.

PC: Isn't that kind of expensive?

Att: Yes it is. Now, what's your third question?

IREFU2 Mon Aug 18, 2008 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcref
Does any one officiate more than one sport??

Nope, no multi-tasking here!!!! LOL....

BlitzkriegBob Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:25am

Quote:

I don't even do basketball but I wander over here on occasion to sample Mark's wit. You guys are definitely the most entertaining board on this site!

The weirdest thing I've officiated is a bed race. Being from a small town in Indiana that has only one other official (and he's a basketball guy so of course nobody likes him) when they decided last year to reinstate the bed race in to our town festival I was asked to "officiate" this monumental event. Nothing noteworthy happened and there was only one race that was close at the finish line so if I had been paid anything it would have been easy money.

What I would like to get my foot in the door for is a job officiating American Gladiators. I don't have one of those striped shirts but I've been practicing my "Contenders ready?!! Gladiators ready?!!"