The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Awhile back we had a discussion about a player dribbling the ball along the side line, loosing his balance and falls oob. Now we have an interupted dribble. I said he can't come back inbounds and be the 1st to touch. Everyone else on this board said i was banans. Now i read where NF and NCAA want the player called OOB when he touches OOB. This is going to make us distinguish between dribbling and at the last second the player ends his dribble by taping the ball inbounds just before falling oob.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 11:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not Football.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Awhile back we had a discussion about a player dribbling the ball along the side line, loosing his balance and falls oob. Now we have an interupted dribble. I said he can't come back inbounds and be the 1st to touch. Everyone else on this board said i was banans. Now i read where NF and NCAA want the player called OOB when he touches OOB. This is going to make us distinguish between dribbling and at the last second the player ends his dribble by taping the ball inbounds just before falling oob.
A player is located on the court where they last touched or where they are currently touching. So that "cannot be the last to touch it" stuff does not fly. You are thinking of a football phrase and that is what I think you are getting confused by. That only applies to football (at least what I am aware of) and does not apply to basketball. Look under the definitions of "Location" and the definition of "dribble." If you have a dribble, a player can never touch the line if they are in the process of dribbling the ball. But if they dribble has ended they can touch the OB line and not have violated anything. You need to understand location and dribble and then it should make more sense.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now i read where NF and NCAA want the player called OOB when he touches OOB.
You read it where?

A player who is dribbling the ball and touches OOB has committed a violation, as soon as he touches OOB.

A player who has an interrupted dribble, and then goes OOB, can most certainly come back in and retrieve the ball. There is no player control, just as there is no PC in 7.1.1B,C.

And if you think any different, you're still bananas!

I'm not sure what Rut is speaking of in terms of football.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 01:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Illegal Participation or Illegal touching in some cases.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

I'm not sure what Rut is speaking of in terms of football.
Illegal Participation in many codes of Football. If you are out of bounds, you cannot be the first to touch it under certain situations. That is probably where he is getting that "idea" from and relating it to basketball.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

I think you both missed the point or you choose not to address the situation i described. They are saying A1 is dribbling. Eventhough A1 is not in contact with the ball and lost her balance and steps oob, beep violation, the ball is bouncing inbounds. So, what are you going to call when you see the player dribbling along the side line and you see her losing her balance, and last sec. she taps the ball one last time to keep it inbounds then she steps oob? Her intent is to end to dribble by keeping the ball inbounds and then falling oob.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Her intent is to end to dribble by keeping the ball inbounds and then falling oob.
Bart, you just answered your own question. She ended the dribble by pushing away from herself to keep it inbounds. If the dribble has ended, then there's no player control. Ball is still live. And as long as she touches a foot inbounds before touching the ball, she may also be the first to touch it.

If she's dribbling and touches OOB, violation. If the dribble has ended and she touches OOB, play on.

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Chuck, I agree, kinda, I was just taking it a little further then the point in the article. That Mag. i'm not sure if i should say the name b/c of the previous problems. Anyway they just said when a dribbler loses her balance and
falls oob when not in contact with the ball we have violation as soon as the player touches oob. I was taking the point further. Diff. situation, dribbler loses balance, falls oob just before another player grabs the ball. Remember she taps the ball one last time to the floor, making sure she is not touching the ball as she touches oob. I have seen this type play and i have passed on the violation b/c i felt she tried to end the dribble. Sometimes to isn't so clear if they try to end the dribble, the player justs wants to keep the ball inbounds before stepping oob. then they make sure they don't touch the ball until another player touches it. Maybe you have to read the article.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck, I agree, kinda, I was just taking it a little further then the point in the article. That Mag. i'm not sure if i should say the name b/c of the previous problems. Anyway they just said when a dribbler loses her balance and
falls oob when not in contact with the ball we have violation as soon as the player touches oob. I was taking the point further. Diff. situation, dribbler loses balance, falls oob just before another player grabs the ball. Remember she taps the ball one last time to the floor, making sure she is not touching the ball as she touches oob. I have seen this type play and i have passed on the violation b/c i felt she tried to end the dribble. Sometimes to isn't so clear if they try to end the dribble, the player justs wants to keep the ball inbounds before stepping oob. then they make sure they don't touch the ball until another player touches it. Maybe you have to read the article.
It's referee judgment as to whether it's an interrupted dribble or not. If it's an interrupted dribble, no violation; not an interrupted dribble == violation.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you both missed the point or you choose not to address the situation i described. They are saying A1 is dribbling. Even though A1 is not in contact with the ball and lost her balance and steps oob, beep violation, the ball is bouncing inbounds.
No, I'm afraid you're missing the point. This is not a violation if it occurs during an interrupted dribble.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Illegal Participation or Illegal touching in some cases.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Illegal Participation in many codes of Football. If you are out of bounds, you cannot be the first to touch it under certain situations.
I'm not sure which rules are written that way, possibly NFL. In NF play, it's IP for A to intentionally go OOB and then return. The IP occurs on the return. Touching the ball after re-entering the field is of no consequence.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

My point was; awhile back we discussed this and you interpreted this play as being an interupted dribble and the player could come back in and be the 1st to touch. NF and NCAA, according to the article is saying NO, call the violation when the player touches OOB.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My point was; awhile back we discussed this and you interpreted this play as being an interupted dribble and the player could come back in and be the 1st to touch. NF and NCAA, according to the article is saying NO, call the violation when the player touches OOB.
I assume this is in RefMag? Where? I looked (briefly) in the most recent edition, but couldn't find it.

If you've accurately described the play, either they didnt' interpret it as an interupted dribble, or they blew the call.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And I stand behind that interpretation. If I had a dollar for every time REFEREE has print a mis-interpretation or published the wrong answer to a quiz, I could take a very nice vacation.

This isn't rocket science. If it's an interrupted dribble, then he can come back in and retrieve the ball. If it isn't interrupted, it's a violation when he steps on the line, not when he comes back in and retrieves the ball.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

And I stand behind that interpretation. If I had a dollar for every time REFEREE has print a mis-interpretation or published the wrong answer to a quiz, I could take a very nice vacation.

OK, so here's Tony's price list so far:

o Catching your own airball ------- $5
o Mistakes in Referee magazine ---- $1

Quote:

This isn't rocket science. If it's an interrupted dribble, then he can come back in and retrieve the ball. If it isn't interrupted, it's a violation when he steps on the line, not when he comes back in and retrieves the ball.
I agree.
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

OK, so here's Tony's price list so far:

o Catching your own airball ------- $5
o Mistakes in Referee magazine ---- $1