The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

[quote]Originally posted by jimkurata on 02-13-2000 11:29 PM
If a game starts where the official lines up the teams on the wrong side, the tip goes up, and a player makes a basket in the wrong basket, what should happen?

2nd question, If a player sets a screen, the other team's player sees the screen, and elbows the player in the head area while swinging the elbow purposely, what should happen?

3rd question, Should officiating be consistent regardless of the score? I have been told that because my team was leading by a large margin the officiating was going to be favoring the losing team.

#1) Once the officials are aware of the error in direction, they should stop play and correct it, leaving all scoring in tack.

#2) If he swings it intentionally, then it's a flagrant "T" with ejection. If its inadvertant then it should be at least a personal foul.

#3) This is a tough one, but in most youth leagues and sub varsity games, I'm sure most officials may cut the losing team some slack on minor stuff. Of course, any hard fouls or rough stuff should be called to keep the game safe. It doesn't do either team any good to have such a lop sided game. However, I do get tough on the team with a huge lead of say 20 to 30 points (youth games, mostly)and the winning coach or kids are pressing, trapping, reaching and block every shot still. Someday, the tide will turn and it won't any fun to have somone running up the score them. Sportmanship can be shown in many ways. Good luck with your future games.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

If a game starts where the official lines up the teams on the wrong side, the tip goes up, and a player makes a basket in the wrong basket, what should happen?

2nd question, If a player sets a screen, the other team's player sees the screen, and elbows the player in the head area while swinging the elbow purposely, what should happen?

3rd question, Should officiating be consistent regardless of the score? I have been told that because my team was leading by a large margin the officiating was going to be favoring the losing team.

Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I like your responses, Art, especially for #3. It's not a matter of "favoring" the losing team, as much as it is trying to have at least SOME "flow" in the game. If the losing team doesn't have the same skills as the ahead team, I may lower my own expectations of what they are capable of doing and, thus, pass on certain minor violations and fouls. Of course you keep calling the ones you need to, but you also try to give them more breaks because otherwise the game may get ridiculous with whistles stopping play. And in a blow out, I agree that I may call it tighter if the winning team is going to keep pressing in the second half. What goes around comes around, many times anyway.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

I hate to nitpick, but as a coach I take issue with some of what Art N says in 3. I back my team off with a huge lead and pull off the press to allow the other team to play half court. However, I teach my players to recognize trap situations and take advantage, and I never have them stop going for steals and blocks.

In rec leagues, I currently have a 6-0 team and an 0-6 team, and have been on both ends of blowouts. We have rules that restrict a team with a 15 point lead to the arc. I don't like rules that restrict half court defenses with large leads, because it teaches my weaker team bad habits. It does not allow players on defense to play with the constant pressure they will need to apply when they play at a higher level. They develop the habit of looking around to see if they can play defense.

With youth teams, they are still trying to learn the game and even though a team looks far better, they frequently are not as proficient as they look. It is very hard for young players to sustain a full game effort, a problem I have with my third team, a select team in a high level league. Let them play ball.

I do support being more strict on the team with a substantial lead, because the players that are at a higher skill level will frequently move up to more advanced levels of play where the rules are more strictly enforced. They need to develop better habits. Recreational ball is a learning environment. I teach each player at their level. Referees are just another form of instruction and feedback for players, and those that are more advanced need to be coached and refereed at that level, while being careful not to penalize them excessively for being skilled.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Well, you can't please all the people all time I guess. Thanks for your kind comments Todd. Hawk_Coach has some good points. I did a particular game fresh in mind when I wrote my responses. The 6th travel team from the youth league I run was entered in a B league since it was our first year on the road. The coaches, like Hawk, had taken off the press, saged the defense and asked the kids to slow it down and not go on breakaways. Our kids won 38-0. Sorry coach, but I don't think anyone learns from that. Yes, they tried to work on set plays... but I know it's hard to slow the kids down. They are just kids, remember that. There are alot of knucklehead coaches out there who JUST DON"T GET IT. There are also some great ones who teach the not only basketball basics, but sportmanship, teamwork and other lessons to help the youngsters grow. Remember coach, you can have a great deal of influence on these kids. So keep up the good work.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2000, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your answers, I would like to add that in the league I coach, regarding my question #3, when a team has a 20 point lead, full court press is not allowed. Also every player needs to play a minimum of 2 full periods out of 5. Often when we were winning by a large margin, we took out the best players. The players in the game I feel should play to their full capability, which includes half court defense, trying for steals, trying to block shots, and trying to make baskets. Remember these are the players with limited skills, get the minimum playing time, and don't have much success individually on the court. So my view on your response to question #3 would be to agree somewhat and disagree somewhat to your views. But thanks for your response.
quote:
Originally posted by Art N on 02-13-2000 01:58 PM
[quote]Originally posted by jimkurata on 02-13-2000 11:29 PM

#1) Once the officials are aware of the error in direction, they should stop play and correct it, leaving all scoring in tack.

#2) If he swings it intentionally, then it's a flagrant "T" with ejection. If its inadvertant then it should be at least a personal foul.

#3) This is a tough one, but in most youth leagues and sub varsity games, I'm sure most officials may cut the losing team some slack on minor stuff. Of course, any hard fouls or rough stuff should be called to keep the game safe. It doesn't do either team any good to have such a lop sided game. However, I do get tough on the team with a huge lead of say 20 to 30 points (youth games, mostly)and the winning coach or kids are pressing, trapping, reaching and block every shot still. Someday, the tide will turn and it won't any fun to have somone running up the score them. Sportmanship can be shown in many ways. Good luck with your future games.