View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 18, 2000, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your answers, I would like to add that in the league I coach, regarding my question #3, when a team has a 20 point lead, full court press is not allowed. Also every player needs to play a minimum of 2 full periods out of 5. Often when we were winning by a large margin, we took out the best players. The players in the game I feel should play to their full capability, which includes half court defense, trying for steals, trying to block shots, and trying to make baskets. Remember these are the players with limited skills, get the minimum playing time, and don't have much success individually on the court. So my view on your response to question #3 would be to agree somewhat and disagree somewhat to your views. But thanks for your response.
quote:
Originally posted by Art N on 02-13-2000 01:58 PM
[quote]Originally posted by jimkurata on 02-13-2000 11:29 PM
If a game starts where the official lines up the teams on the wrong side, the tip goes up, and a player makes a basket in the wrong basket, what should happen?

2nd question, If a player sets a screen, the other team's player sees the screen, and elbows the player in the head area while swinging the elbow purposely, what should happen?

3rd question, Should officiating be consistent regardless of the score? I have been told that because my team was leading by a large margin the officiating was going to be favoring the losing team.

#1) Once the officials are aware of the error in direction, they should stop play and correct it, leaving all scoring in tack.

#2) If he swings it intentionally, then it's a flagrant "T" with ejection. If its inadvertant then it should be at least a personal foul.

#3) This is a tough one, but in most youth leagues and sub varsity games, I'm sure most officials may cut the losing team some slack on minor stuff. Of course, any hard fouls or rough stuff should be called to keep the game safe. It doesn't do either team any good to have such a lop sided game. However, I do get tough on the team with a huge lead of say 20 to 30 points (youth games, mostly)and the winning coach or kids are pressing, trapping, reaching and block every shot still. Someday, the tide will turn and it won't any fun to have somone running up the score them. Sportmanship can be shown in many ways. Good luck with your future games.