The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Smile A little help

This upcoming season will be my 11th season. I have worked over 800 games in the last 10 years at the lower levels up through Junior Varsity. I think in the past 4 or 5 seasons sort of just got the label as a pretty good jv official since I have worked over 200 of those games but maybe not able or willing to step up to the varsity level. I have worked 4 varsity games in my career and have 3 scheduled this season. I guess my question is how long do you continue to try to work your way up the ranks until it probably time to do something else?

I have been working varsity summer leagues the past 4 or 5 years. 3 man officiating is something that takes a while to catch on to. The last few summers I have working with two very good experienced varsity officials. I have learned alot about 3 man officiating but I still struggle with the speed and the athletic ability of the boys varsity level. I think my biggest obstacle is just confidence. I also am up and down a lot. I have games where I am very good and others where there is thoughts on how did this guy get a license! I guess I am just wondering how to overcome this or as I am turning 31 and going into my 11th season is it time to do something else?

Sorry for the long rant. Just looking for a little advice before a new season begins.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:09am
Courageous When Prudent

What kind of camp experience do you have?
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:34am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174
I guess my question is how long do you continue to try to work your way up the ranks until it probably time to do something else?
In addition to the question already asked by Bad News, do you have any of your games on tape?

Honest self assessment through video is the best way to "see for yourself" how you work compared to other officials. Tape doesn't lie, do I look the part... am I hustling... are my calls quality... am I ball watching... do I make position adjustments?

I believe instead of trying to "work our way up" we should put an emphasis on self-improvement first & foremost, then schedule quality will come & for some of us the promotion will follow.

Even if you never get a full varsity schedule, that doesn't mean you should quit. JV kids need quality officials too, being the best official you can possibly be at that level is not a bad thing.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

The Association I am a member of hosts clinics, but no I have never went to an actually camp. I know I should have in the past years but I guess I just never wanted to spend the money.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:42am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I guess my question is how long do you continue to try to work your way up the ranks until it probably time to do something else?
As long as you continue to enjoy it. If your frustration outweighs the enjoyment and challenge that you get from a sub-varsity schedule, than you may want to give it up. But if you're enjoying the games that you get, why "do something else"?

Quote:
Even if you never get a full varsity schedule, that doesn't mean you should quit. JV kids need quality officials too, being the best official you can possibly be at that level is not a bad thing.
Great insight.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:48am
Ch1town

Quote:
The Association I am a member of hosts clinics, but no I have never went to an actually camp. I know I should have in the past years but I guess I just never wanted to spend the money.
Buying a couple of tickets to a movie or ball game is "spending money".
Going out to eat is "spending money"
Attending camps are investments in yourself.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

"Attending camps are investments in yourself."

Good point! that is the way I should look at it.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

You can write camp tuition off as a business expense on your 1099 too.

I think your mindset will differ based upon your personal goals. If you are happy with where you are at, then that is great. Younger kids do need good officials. If you do aspire to reach another level, you will have to put a lot of work and time into getting better. You might want to talk to current Varsity officials and ask them what you need to work on. If you do want to move up, you are going to have to make a concerted effort to get better by going to camps, watching film, etc.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 11:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
You can write camp tuition off as a business expense on your 1099 too.
I'm no CPA, but I believe you'd write it off on your schedule C; not your 1099.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

There are a lot of avid 20 handicap golfers that will never get any better than that, but they still play as much as possible. If you enjoy the avocation, keep doing it. If lack of progress up the chain lessens your passion for being as good as you can, bag it. It's pretty simple.

You can also move to women's basketball, if the boys games are too fast for your to have good consistent judgment. If your passion for officiating is there, that should be a viable option to consider.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

If you truly want to do varsity level games, attend a good camp. Your game will improve tremendously. I am living proof.

In Georgia, you have to attend a GHSA sanctioned camp every 2 or 3 years in order to officiate varsity games and state tournament.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 12:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
You can also move to women's basketball, if the boys games are too fast for you to have good consistent judgment.
Oh my.....
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 12:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Oh my.....
Gee, how did I miss that? Oh yeah, I didn't the post that carefully.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 12:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

When you first started out, did you have a specific objective? If so, was it to move up to V level and continue there, or was it just to do something you enjoy and get some exercise, some fun and a couple of bucks?

If it was the former, then certainly try to improve by attending camps and reviewing videos, etc. If the latter, just relax and have fun.

Oh yeah, you might try switching meds. It's worked for me a couple of hundred times.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

For those of us who have been officiating for more than a few years, this is a question we frequently hear. In my experience, the biggest problem facing most of the officials who ask this question is the ability to be brutally honest with themselves. You need to take an honest look at yourself, and see if you are doing everything you can to advance. Do you look the part, or are you carrying 50 lbs. of extra baggage? Are you professional in your relationships with the schools, coaches, AD's, and your fellow officials? Do you show up for games at least an hour early, dressed professionally? Or do you waltz in 20 minutes before the tip, wearing blue jeans, tennis shoes, and a baseball cap? When you hit the floor, are your pants pressed, shoes shined, etc.? I've worked with guys who come onto the floor wearing shoes that haven't seen a shine in years. First impressions count. Some officials will tell you that the way you dress shouldn't matter. I'm telling you that those officials are the ones wondering why they aren't getting more or better assignments. As you have noticed, none of the above factors have anything to do with your ability as an official. These are things that anyone who aspires to "move up" can and must do.

Now to the "on court" issues. The best suggestion I have seen so far is that you get some video of games you have worked. Sit down at home and watch yourself. Analyze every play, every whistle. Did you get the play right? If not, why not? Were you out of position? Did you call out of your primary and end up guessing? Did you fail to allow the play to develop, take place, and end? Rather than do this on your own, I would suggest that you enlist the assistance of a successful, respected official in your area. See if he or she is willing to sit down with you a couple of times during the season to review film. Listen to the comments, and most importantly, keep an open mind. An observer who does nothing more than tell you what a great job you did is really not much help when you are looking to improve. Expect to hear criticisms, and in fact, encourage them. Don't argue with someone who is trying to help you; that is the quickest way in the world to ruin that relationship.

Better still, get to a camp. If you are looking for quick improvement, there isn't a better way to go.

Finally, be realistic. Lots of officials think that if they stick around long enough, they will automatically move up. It doesn't work that way. You have to find a way to improve the weaknesses in your game. If I'm a golfer who has a terrible swing, I can practice that terrible swing for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, and it will still be a terrible swing. It isn't until I fix the problems with the swing that my game will improve. Same thing with officiating. If there are problems in your game, you won't go anywhere until you deal with them.

Good luck, and hang in there. We need people who care about improving.