Thread: A little help
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

For those of us who have been officiating for more than a few years, this is a question we frequently hear. In my experience, the biggest problem facing most of the officials who ask this question is the ability to be brutally honest with themselves. You need to take an honest look at yourself, and see if you are doing everything you can to advance. Do you look the part, or are you carrying 50 lbs. of extra baggage? Are you professional in your relationships with the schools, coaches, AD's, and your fellow officials? Do you show up for games at least an hour early, dressed professionally? Or do you waltz in 20 minutes before the tip, wearing blue jeans, tennis shoes, and a baseball cap? When you hit the floor, are your pants pressed, shoes shined, etc.? I've worked with guys who come onto the floor wearing shoes that haven't seen a shine in years. First impressions count. Some officials will tell you that the way you dress shouldn't matter. I'm telling you that those officials are the ones wondering why they aren't getting more or better assignments. As you have noticed, none of the above factors have anything to do with your ability as an official. These are things that anyone who aspires to "move up" can and must do.

Now to the "on court" issues. The best suggestion I have seen so far is that you get some video of games you have worked. Sit down at home and watch yourself. Analyze every play, every whistle. Did you get the play right? If not, why not? Were you out of position? Did you call out of your primary and end up guessing? Did you fail to allow the play to develop, take place, and end? Rather than do this on your own, I would suggest that you enlist the assistance of a successful, respected official in your area. See if he or she is willing to sit down with you a couple of times during the season to review film. Listen to the comments, and most importantly, keep an open mind. An observer who does nothing more than tell you what a great job you did is really not much help when you are looking to improve. Expect to hear criticisms, and in fact, encourage them. Don't argue with someone who is trying to help you; that is the quickest way in the world to ruin that relationship.

Better still, get to a camp. If you are looking for quick improvement, there isn't a better way to go.

Finally, be realistic. Lots of officials think that if they stick around long enough, they will automatically move up. It doesn't work that way. You have to find a way to improve the weaknesses in your game. If I'm a golfer who has a terrible swing, I can practice that terrible swing for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, and it will still be a terrible swing. It isn't until I fix the problems with the swing that my game will improve. Same thing with officiating. If there are problems in your game, you won't go anywhere until you deal with them.

Good luck, and hang in there. We need people who care about improving.