The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

3 man mechanic- center issue

I admit up front that I haven't been trained in 3 man mechanics, but my recent experience officiating in 3 man crews leads me to the following observation:

When at the center position, my coverage area includes half the lane/paint closest to me, correct? Assuming so, A1 has the ball at free throw extended and is defended by B1. I am able to see through and check for fouls, travelling etc... A1 begins to drive to the basket, still guarded by B1. While still in my half of the paint, A1 goes for a layup and is fouled by B1.

Assuming that I make the call (and I think its mine to make) it appears to me that this 3 man mechanic wants us to do what the 2 man never wants us to do, which is to make a call from behind or with one or multiple players with their backs to me.

Any thoughts on this? Should I be moving towards the basket with the player from the center position? Thanks.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 12:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk
the 2 man never wants us to do, which is to make a call from behind or with one or multiple players with their backs to me.
First of all, where did you get this perception? You'll make calls like this all the time in 2 whistle mechanics.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 12:57pm
Ch1town

I'm learning that there aren't always absolutes when it comes to our positioning on the court. Depending upon the drive, you may have to take a few steps up/down/in to referee that play at the slot. Basically move to improve your angle for the best look.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I admit up front that I haven't been trained in 3 man mechanics, but my recent experience officiating in 3 man crews leads me to the following observation:

When at the center position, my coverage area includes half the lane/paint closest to me, correct? Assuming so, A1 has the ball at free throw extended and is defended by B1. I am able to see through and check for fouls, travelling etc... A1 begins to drive to the basket, still guarded by B1. While still in my half of the paint, A1 goes for a layup and is fouled by B1.

Assuming that I make the call (and I think its mine to make) it appears to me that this 3 man mechanic wants us to do what the 2 man never wants us to do, which is to make a call from behind or with one or multiple players with their backs to me.

Any thoughts on this? Should I be moving towards the basket with the player from the center position? Thanks.
Yes. Agreed. Not so: I routinely have called fouls in 2-man when the players' backs are to me. If I am sure of the foul, it gets called. It's still about angles and positioning. Maybe the C is the toughest spot to learn.

Thoughts: see the foul, make the call. Once the call is made, you can close down some, yes. During play, I wouldn't go so deep as more than a lanespace or two.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
First of all, where did you get this perception? You'll make calls like this all the time in 2 whistle mechanics.
Totally agree. If the ball is in your primary and the player appears to be driving for the basket, stay with the ball until the play is complete. Pregame who gets the "pass" and who gets the "crash" if that's how the play develops, but if there's a foul on the shooter and the shooter began his drive in your primary...I've been taught it's your call to make whether you are working with 2 whistles or 3.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
OK, I think I phrased that badly- it's more about being in a better position to make the call- if you make a call with someone's back to you, you better be in the best position to make the call, and don't guess. Our board is trying to teach us to be in the right positon, move to improve and don't guess.

I'm OK with the "see it, call it" philosophy, I was just concerned about trying to be in the right position to make a call, and being inherently suspect about making a call from behind, unless, of course, I see it clearly and I'm not guessing- but (he laughed knowingly), if I DON'T see it and I DIDN'T see it clearly and I AM guessing- I shouldn't call anything....
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, I think I phrased that badly- it's more about being in a better position to make the call- if you make a call with someone's back to you, you better be in the best position to make the call, and don't guess. Our board is trying to teach us to be in the right positon, move to improve and don't guess.

I'm OK with the "see it, call it" philosophy, I was just concerned about trying to be in the right position to make a call, and being inherently suspect about making a call from behind, unless, of course, I see it clearly and I'm not guessing- but (he laughed knowingly), if I DON'T see it and I DIDN'T see it clearly and I AM guessing- I shouldn't call anything....
I believe that a lot of officials get into trouble because they guess or anticipate a call (especially contact). Anticipation is a bad thing in officiating, always see the beginning, middle, and end of the play before blowing the whistle.

-Josh
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 04:35pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
I believe that a lot of officials get into trouble because they guess or anticipate a call (especially contact). Anticipation is a bad thing in officiating,
Anticipation is a great thing in officiating basketball, as long you're anticipating the PLAY and not the CALL. You should be anticipating all the time. Anticipate when you might need to rotate; anticipate when the ball might be going to the basket; anticipate the double team in the post. If you are thinking slightly ahead of the actual play, you have a better chance of having the best position to view that play when it actually develops.

You don't want to say to yourself, "This guy's going to get fouled on his jumper", but you do want to say to yourself, "He's going to take a 3 here, I better find his feet and his defender."
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

zeedonk,

On a lane line drive where the offensive player has beat the defender and has him on his hip you want to walk onto the floor (not straight into the floor but at a diagonal away from the hoop so you can keep a big picture mentality, allowing you to better pick up secondary defenders, and all the while keeping yourself out of the way of the players) and not step down which will just keep putting you in a stack the more and more you step down. Also, on this type of lane line drive you want to just referee the body contact on this play and stay away from hits on the arm because as you said the back of the players are to you and 9 out of 10 times you will not be able to clearly see a hit on the arm you will just see what looks like a hit on the arm. Lastly, I need to modify my statement about hits on the arm. Once the play gets above the backboard level you then have to referee arm contact as well, due to the fact that the Lead is opposite and makes it hard for him to referee plays "up top". hope this helps.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just scanned through the thread so forgive me if this has been said...

It sounds as if you need to learn/train yourself to move in order to stay connected to the play and keep the angle. Obviously without seeing the play it is hard to tell but I think you will find that a quick step or two in the appropriate direction as soon as a drive starts in your primary will help a great deal. Staying stationary is particularly true for official new to the 3-official work. That is not a knock on you...just a product of you not having a lot of experience.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

My thoughts are for you to step down or step onto the court to get a better angle of the play. Its all about moving with a purpose to see the whole play. If you are looking at players backs and making calls, then you need to move to get a better angle. This comes with more experience and training.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

You can take this play - I try when I can to step well out on the floor (aka position adjust) so I can see the defender - almost looking down the near lane line. Its a great angle on this play rather than staying stacked.

It would be nice if the lead rotated before the drive but that cant always happen.

Break the court thirds....Lead should try to always be in the same third as the ball vs. man to man D (except middle when you are just closed down).

Slot recognize if ball is in your primary vs. man to man or vs. zone below the free throw line extended, rotation (should be) likely.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

In my experience, which is admittedly limited compared to many here, the best answer on how to referee a drive away from you is often to go "opposite".

So if the drive goes toward the baseline/basket, you move out onto the floor; If the drive goes east/west, then you step up or down to keep an angle. Doesn't always work, but seems to work more often than not.