The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Well, the cat's outta the bag! The NFHS has changed 4-19-9 to include personal fouls. The rule will now read,

A simultaneous foul (personal or technical) by opponents is a situation in which there are personal or technical fouls by both teams which occur at approximately the same time, but are not committed by opponents against each other.

The more important aspect of this is whether the note under 4-19-9 will also change. It reads:

NOTE: No free throws are awarded and the ball is put in play by the team entitled to the throw-in under the alternating-possession procedure at the division line opposite the table.

We had quite a discussion a few months ago concerning this. Several thought that SPF should be handled in the same manner as STF, while others thought that FTs should be shot for SPF. I guess we'll soon know the correct way to handle this!

I can hardly wait!
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Tony, don't keep us hanging!!

What (if any) are the other rule changes???

(Also, are they saying if this is an actual rule change, or just an editorial clarification? Also, did this have anything to do with our crazy debates?)
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 12:17am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Where did you find the rule changes? I checked the NF site and they are not posted.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 03:59am
In Memoriam

Try ihsaa.org.Hit basketball and you will find them.Someone on the other board pointed this out yesterday.Personally,I like the changes and the rationale behind them-especially changing "elbow swinging" by a player with the ball from a T to a violation.Other changes are that when a jumper catches a jump ball,the other team no longer get the ball AND the arrow,deleting BI during a FT as a T,only penalising the first FT violation that occurs,and allowing a team to buy a bleeding player who is sent off the floor back in with a TO.What is also interesting is that there were great discussions,both here and on McGriff's,on all of the rule changes mentioned.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

http://www.ihsaa.org/b-basketball/RulesChange.htm
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Wow! Rules changes that make sense! I love all the changes that JR outlined. Except maybe buying the bleeding player back in with a TO. I don't love that one, but I can live with it. If a coach wants to burn a TO to keep his best player in the game, I don't have a problem with it.

Now if we could just get the technical foul procedure to be changed to the NCAA. . .

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Chuck, I don't have a problem with 1 shot technicals or allowing the team with the ball to keep the ball. But, IMHO, I think the NCAA went a little overboard with all the direct and indirect terminology. The one thing that you have to like about the NF procedures is that they're easy for anyone to understand. You do the same thing every time a technical is called.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Yeah, the direct and indirect can be confusing. But the "procedure" I was referring to is the continuation of play at the POI. I should have made that clearer. It would be ok with me if all technicals were direct and 2 shots; then play resumed at the point at which the game was interrupted.

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Only change I have "issues" with is 9-7 - the 3-second count is no longer suspended during an interrupted dribble. It seems like the rules cmte just got sick of the crowd yelling for 3 seconds in these cases .
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 11:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question It is not working.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

It must be me, this link does not work. I get a blank jpeg screen. Why is everyone else seeing the screen and I am not with this post?

Peace
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: It is not working.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

It must be me, this link does not work. I get a blank jpeg screen. Why is everyone else seeing the screen and I am not with this post?

Peace
Rut, not sure why but I was able to go to it without a problem. Hopefully it will eventually work for you. The only item that is unclear to me is on the free throws, it sounds like we will now call the fist violation only.n Sounds like there is a question about the validity of this. If you continue to have problems bringing the page up let me know and I will copy and paste, then e-mail it to you. Ron
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 12:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb This worked

Quote:

http://www.ihsaa.org/b-basketball/Ru...s/image002.jpg

This is the only one that worked for me.

Peace

Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Re: This worked

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.ihsaa.org/b-basketball/Ru...s/image002.jpg

This is the only one that worked for me.

Peace

I didn't have any trouble with the link, but I did have trouble printing the page. It was like 2" x 2" no matter what I did. I tried to enlarge it about 250% and it still did not print right. However, when I logged into this site this morning, there was a link to the changes and they worked just fine.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Re: It is not working.

Quote:
Quote:

It's not your fault. I made the link so that it would work for everyone but you!
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 07:50am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: It is not working.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's not your fault. I made the link so that it would work for everyone but you!
I'll bet you ALWAYS do that!