The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

NCAA - during a spot throw-in, the defender reaches across the endline and slaps the ball out of the offensive players hand. Is this considered an indirect or direct technical foul for NCAA? And will it count towards the player and team total fouls?

Thanks.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

This ought to answer your question, it comes from Rule 10.

Art. 20. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly
made live or by preventing continuous play.
A.R. 10. After a field goal by B1 with two minutes left to play: (a) B2 reaches through
the end-line plane and slaps the ball from the hands of A1 or touches the ball as it is
passed along the end line after the score; or (b) after a warning, B2 prevents the ball
from being promptly put in play by slapping the ball away. RULING: In (a) and (b),
an indirect technical foul shall be charged to B2 for delaying the game. When A1, in
making the throw-in, reaches through the end-line plane into the playing court and
B1 slaps the ball from the hands of A1, without B1 breaking the plane above the end
line, the ball becomes live and B1 has not committed a violation.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Indirect, no and no.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

However, under NF rules, it would be a direct technical on the player and count towards his personal foul total. One of many NF-NCAA differences.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by secondyear
NCAA - during a spot throw-in, the defender reaches across the endline and slaps the ball out of the offensive players hand. Is this considered an indirect or direct technical foul for NCAA? And will it count towards the player and team total fouls?

Thanks.
Just remember, as an indirect it does not count toward the 5 personal/technical fouls for DQ or the 7/10 for bonus, but it must be recorded in the scorebook so that there will be a record if #12 gets three indirects, two I and one D, etc.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 05:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
However, under NF rules, it would be a direct technical on the player and count towards his personal foul total. One of many NF-NCAA differences.
OK, let's get really "technical" (read: nit-picky). Under NF rules, it does not count toward his personal foul total, but as a technical, it does count toward his 5 fouls needed for disqualification.

The only reason I point this out (no - it's not because I'm a jerk - OK, I am, but that's not the reason here) is because on newer scorebooks, there are separate places for personals and technicals all included in the same area to make it easier for the scorer to see if there is a total of 5 and/or two technicals. Don't have him mark the technical in a personal box.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Don't have him mark the technical in a personal box.
I've always done this and found it easier.

Our scorebooks had boxes for 5 personal fouls and 2 technical fouls. When a technical occurred, I would fill in the box for the T, and write the letter "T" in the box for the corresponding personal foul - I find it is much easier to recognize when there is a total of 5 personal and technical fouls.

Of course, this only works for scorekeepers who know that technical fouls don't "count as personal fouls."
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I was merely pointing out that such a technical foul would decrease by 1 the number of personal fouls a player could receive. Technically, you're correct. Realistically, I think most knew what I was talking about. Thanks!
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Our scorebooks had boxes for 5 personal fouls and 2 technical fouls. When a technical occurred, I would fill in the box for the T, and write the letter "T" in the box for the corresponding personal foul - I find it is much easier to recognize when there is a total of 5 personal and technical fouls.

Of course, this only works for scorekeepers who know that technical fouls don't "count as personal fouls."
Good point, Mark. I have noticed the past couple of years that it is becoming more prevelant that the scorekeepers often don't know how to properly record everything in the book -- especially at the freshman/jv level. I had one occassion this past season in a jv game where neither the clock operator or scorekeeper had done this before. Talk about fun and games!
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Good point, Mark.
Now that's calling it both ways!!
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref

Good point, Mark. I have noticed the past couple of years that it is becoming more prevelant that the scorekeepers often don't know how to properly record everything in the book -- especially at the freshman/jv level. I had one occassion this past season in a jv game where neither the clock operator or scorekeeper had done this before. Talk about fun and games!
Talk to your higher-ups in CBOA - maybe they could require the high schools to hire certified scorekeepers/timers (hint, hint, , ).