The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Question

Confirmation on the "Hand is part of the ball"-- this is only the *part* of the hand that is actually in contact with (ie, FLAT on) the ball, yes?

If I recall, the rule just states that the hand "in contact" with the ball should be considered part of the ball-- not the "part of the hand in contact". So a literal interpretation would mean that if someone's finishing a layup with a finger roll, I could swat his hand and miss the ball completely, as long as the ball is still touching his fingertips, and as long as I just touched hand, not wrist. Obviously (I hope), that ain't so.

Also, I'd heard rumors about a rule change regarding this rule. T/F?

Thanks!
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

No, the rule is not going to be changed.

If the hand is in contact with the ball, and unintentional contact is made on the hand, there is no foul. That's all of the hand, not just part of it. Heaven help us if we have to start worrying about whether the part of the hand that was contacted was touching the ball or not.

4-24-2
It is legal use of hands to reach to block or slap the ball controlled by a dribbler or a player throwing for goal or a player holding it and accidentally hitting the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

So then...

So my scenario with the finger roll, where I get ONLY hand, zero ball, is okay? As long as his fingertip is touching the ball, his whole hand is fair game? In practice, I would assume most refs would guess that some part of the wrist was contacted, and call a foul?

And in my scenario, what about follow through-- when I initially touch his hand, it's on the ball, but due to the contact, his hand comes OFF the ball. Do we have a foul NOW, or would that be incidental contact, since the ball is already gone?

I know that there'd be a large judgment element here, but I'd like to know the basis for the judgment.

[Edited by Shogun on Apr 11th, 2002 at 01:49 PM]
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

As far as rule change goes.....

Hi everybody! I haven't been around for a while - so I hope you have all missed my FEEBLE interpretations - so here is another one for you

In the last FIBA rule changes, the section that explictly stated that the hand is part of the ball was removed. This caused a great deal of confusion - as it left many players, coaches and referees thinking that this meant the hand was specifically NOT part of the ball.

After much dicussion, the FIBA technical committee has decided that the hand is still part of the ball, but any doubt must go in favour of the offence. In other words if any contact is seen, and it is unable to tell if the contact was on the hand or say, the wrist, then the referee MUST call a foul.

In the scenario of you (Shogun) hitting a player on the hand, without making any contact with the ball (and this especially applies to a finger role) I personally am going to whack you everytime. I reckon I can sell the call that you got the players wrist, better than you can argue all you got was hand

Hope I have helped.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

I rarely call a foul for contact on the hand, even after the ball has left the hand. The wrist is a foul.
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
But isn't the wrist considered to be part of the hand?

Chuck
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 07:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Chuck
Ask yourself this: have you ever had a "wrist job"?
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 07:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Chuck
Actually that's a heckuva answer.Btw,does the word "wolkenkuckkucksheim" mean anything to you?
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
I just knew that if I threw it out there, somebody would knock it out of the park!!

And, no, "wolkenheimenhemmer" or whatever, doesn't mean anything to me

Chuck
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 09:22pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
I just knew that if I threw it out there, somebody would knock it out of the park!!

And, no, "wolkenheimenhemmer" or whatever, doesn't mean anything to me

Chuck
That question was for Mark P.,Chuck.Maybe he can come up with the answer.Sometimes I think he's from there.
JUST KIDDING,MARK!
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 09:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:

Chuck
Actually that's a heckuva answer.Btw,does the word "wolkenkuckkucksheim" mean anything to you?
No. Is it metric?
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Chuck
Mark: You seem to be going further and further around the bend. Is it all the rain out there? BTW, does your son ever read your posts and comment (off the record) to you?
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Mark: You seem to be going further and further around the bend. Is it all the rain out there?
There are several other post-ers on this board who aren't having any problem at all with "all that rain."

I think Padgett's pharmacist has been on vacation the last three weeks or so. I mean, have you noticed how many times he has apologized to me about things? Clearly, his chemicals are out of balance!!
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Mark: You seem to be going further and further around the bend. Is it all the rain out there?
There are several other post-ers on this board who aren't having any problem at all with "all that rain."

I think Padgett's pharmacist has been on vacation the last three weeks or so. I mean, have you noticed how many times he has apologized to me about things? Clearly, his chemicals are out of balance!!
My son lives in Olympia, WA and he tells me that during the rainy winter season (I know it last for 9 months), that people do some weird and crazy things. I noticed that Mark seemed to be creeping closer and closer to the "darker side". I love the Northwest. Was stationed at Whidbey Island for 2 years and I get back to that area (Bangor, Silverdale, Keyport, Whidbey) at least once a year for work. My Visa seems to take a tremendous hit everytime I visit my son.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

For those of you who have never visited the Pacific Northwest, please come during our annual rain festival. It runs from January through December each year.

Notice that my smilie at the top of my post is wearing "rainglasses".