The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Had one of those college intramural games you'd like to forget. Yes, I'm in college too, but I am an experinced ref, so don't start making assumptions!!! Late in the game, team A down by about 15, B gets fouled by A1, who says loud enough for everyone to hear, "I never even touched her. How can you call that?!!!" This was a guy making the comment in a coed league. I T'd him up. Was it appropriate? Later in the game I tossed one of his teammates who thought he'd gotten fouled by a girl as he was driving to the basket. Gimme a break-he got in my face and the rest is history. Thanks for your opinions.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Matt -

Definitely should have T'd up player for getting in your face. 1st T depends on HOW the comment was made and how vociferously. Before calling your first T, you might want to warn the player that you will not tolerate any of that behavior and this is a warning - next one is a T.

I will tell you one thing. I don't think you will have that kind of behavior from players when you call your next game in that league. You should tell players in your pregame (with captains) that such behavior will not be tolerated. You might also want to bring to attention of people who run the league. Usually a represerntstive is at thee games and they can see for themselves. I ran into a similar situation at a YMCA rec league and there were no problems after that.

Keep smiling!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Right on, Jack. Sounds like the first T was issued a bit too quickly, but that depends on whether he'd been complaining like that throughout the game already or, as Jack said, how forcefully he said it. In a rec or intramural league, you have to expect a lot more comments than you would in an interscholastic game. Not that you have to take it all, but a bit more leniency is in order given the nature of the game. But at some point, if it (as is common) goes on and on, you then put a stop to it by letting the players you've heard enough and "no more." At that point, the T's are needed. As for the second T, sounds definately warranted, but I don't know about tossing him. I'd first give the T, then let him know I'd like him to be able to stay in the game but he'd better just play through any disagreements. Again, it's rec league, so you don't want to be TOO quick to issue T's or ejections.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited February 17, 2000).]
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

If he said it just after the whistle and before you have a chance to say anything, ask him, "if you didn't touch him how do you know I'm calling the foul on you".
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 10:42am
In Memoriam

Wink

Late in the game, team A down by about 15, B gets fouled by A1, who says loud enough for everyone to hear, "I never even touched her. How can you call that?!!!" This was a guy making the comment in a coed league. I T'd him up. Was it appropriate?

Matt,
When that happens to me, I figure one of two things:
1. I had the call solidly, and the kid is blowing smoke. (That's when I give that "Teacher Look")
2. I may have kicked the call and he may deserve to blow a little smoke.
Either way, I probably won't "T" him up on something that sounds that weak, because then the "T" could look like a purely defensive reaction on my part.
Of course, if he gets unsportsmanlike, then he'll get Banged.

In the second case, he gets Banged in a blink.

mick
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Matt-

From your profile, it seems you have a tough job: officiating intramurals at Univ. of Spoiled Children (no, i'm not a bruin!)

Sounds like you did the right thing.

However, you did mention that Team A was down 15 late in the game. Could you have turned the other cheek and gotten out of that game without further incidence?

It sounds like there were some bruised egos (USC?) in the game even before your foul call. But if you had a good look and it was an easy call, then you were right to T.

2nd one was a no-brainer!

For the record, my family are Cal Bear backers!

[This message has been edited by pizanno (edited February 16, 2000).]
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Matt I think you did a great job in that situation. Myself, I don't like giving out a tech if I don't have to. But in that situation, I would not have had no choice but to serve that individual up with one. My first rule of giving a tech is if the player or coach in someway takes away from the game by being that loud and everybody can hear him, then he needs to set straight. And if any player get up in my face, especially at that level of play will have to be address accordingly. good job.
quote:
Originally posted by Matt S. on 02-16-2000 12:20 AM
Had one of those college intramural games you'd like to forget. Yes, I'm in college too, but I am an experinced ref, so don't start making assumptions!!! Late in the game, team A down by about 15, B gets fouled by A1, who says loud enough for everyone to hear, "I never even touched her. How can you call that?!!!" This was a guy making the comment in a coed league. I T'd him up. Was it appropriate? Later in the game I tossed one of his teammates who thought he'd gotten fouled by a girl as he was driving to the basket. Gimme a break-he got in my face and the rest is history. Thanks for your opinions.

------------------
B-Lipscomb
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Did 5 more games tonight without any serious incidents. Some really good basketball was played- I love it when that happens.
BTW pizanno- if I'm working so hard, how can you call me spoiled???!!! Ok, you got me, but I don't do this for the $$$. We may not have beaten you in basketball, but we killed you in water polo!!!