The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Bob

Thanks. I knew it wasnt a violation in the rules...I was trying to get some feedback as to whether it should be...
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Matthew
They took the words right out of my mouth
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

didn't mean to offend...I should have use an emoticon Just realized that Matt is 12; a mature and literate 12 at that!

Also, should have clarified that Basket Interference has nothing to do with Slapping the backboard.

Todd is right. T does not kill the flight of the ball. It would kill it if the player is in the act of shooting, but has not released the ball yet.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Pizanno -

No problem. BTW, I discovered this site purely by accident, but it sure has been a great source for any questions/doubts I've had on the most misunderstood rules of the game. I'm looking forward to learning from you and the other refs and sharing some of my knowledge and experiences.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for that nice compliment, sir. You are very mature to - grand to see that
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Matt-

Forgive me for being suspicious, but why aren't you in school?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I think there is more to this call (slapping the backboard "T") then just knowing the rule. If the ball goes in, and some guy slaps the backboard, why give him a "T". The bucket went in, so no coach (except some guy who lives by the rule book) would ever complain about this. It seems to me that unless you need to assess that "T" to remain in control of the game, you can let it go.

Now if the ball doesn't go in, and in your judgement, the player was not attempting to block the shot, then it should be called.

The one thing that worries me about this rule is the amount of judgement involved. If you were to call a "T" on team A for slapping the backboard, and a quarter later, Team B slaps, ball falls out, and you judge that it was in the attempt to block a shot that the backboard was hit - be prepared to take hell from the coach of Team A...
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

- be prepared to take hell from the coach of Team A...

Happens all the time. As long as you know you've made the right call, then any grief from coaches who may not know the rules is an occupational hazard.

Whether the ball goes in or not should not affect your call on this one.

You know that some kids will go up and slap the board just to show off. Even if the ball goes in, you SHOULD call it.

If the touch is, in your judgement, incidental, then pass accordingly, whether the ball goes in or not.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Sir, I am in school

------------------
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

darn...just dated myself...

i guess all schools have computers now!

Can't wait to see you on the court, Matt. You're more mature than half the guys in my association...and you called me Sir!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

It surely ought to be a rare call, but I don't know if advising folks to never call it is wise. When in doubt as to whether or not the player was making a legitimate try at blocking the shot . . . no call. But there is that rare occasion when you just know the player had no shot at the ball, hits the backboard with the flat of his hand, and everyone hears it and knows it. It's tough sometimes to process everything quickly and react promptly, but if it's that evident . . . make the call.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Good advice Todd

Deciding in advance what you are going to do is bad. Here is another example:

Blow-out game, neither team is going to the playoffs, and the teams are joking with each other as we approach 3 minutes left in the game (they are setting us up for failure).

Player A (losing team) is dribbling at the top of the key and does some fancy dribbling through his legs and behinds his back, when Player B steals ball and drives to the basket.

Player B fouls from behind with only minimal contact. I call 'intentional' to send a message to the teams that we are not going to finish the game with people upset at each other.

Team B coach comes up after game and 'thanks' me for calling the 'intentional'. I tell him that in other situations it would just be a common foul and he says he understands.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Matthew -

I noticed from your profile you live in NC. Where? If you are interested in refing I can get some information from our organization. I'm in Greensboro, but it covers several counties. They do 3 man in NC at varsity level so you would want to learn rotation/mechanics for 3 man. NY where I moved from was 2 man, so I've had to learn the new system.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I've never called a "T" for slaping backboard and dought if I ever will call it. best advice-don't call a T. Yes, i'm sure we can think of a situation that would warrent a T. I don't think it will happen.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I guess I will throw my 2 cents worth in. My Philosophy is if the ball doesn't go in and the defensive player SLAPS or VIBRATES the backboard without attempting to play the ball You could call a "T" no problem. I know it shouldn't have any bearing on whether the shot goes in or not but if the ball goes in I would never call a "T". So hold off on the whistle and take a peak to see if the ball goes in, if it does go in play on, if it doesn't call a "T".