The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Zebra06
How Do You Like This Scenario?

Team A is in the lead late in the 4th quarter (under 1:00 left), 56-54. Their big man has already fouled out earlier in the game and now they are down to 5 eligible players. A1 gets a fast break opportunity and scores to put his team up by 4 points. On the play, A1 gets fouled in the act of shooting by B1. As the lead official has made the call and begins heading up to the table from the baseline to report the foul, A1 cheers "Yeah!" and taunts B1. A1 is charged with a technical foul, which turns out to be his 5th personal foul. How does the game proceed from there?

I look forward to the ensuing discussion here.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 07:10am
In Memoriam

A1 is disqualified. Any one of the 4 remaining A players on the floor will shoot the FT that team A has coming for B1's foul. Then any team B player(s) shoot the 2 FT's for A1's technical foul. No one on the lanes during all FT's. Team B gets a throw-in at center opposite the table. Team A plays with their 4 remaining players.

Nor really a difficult call imo.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 11:25am.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
A1 is disqualified. Any one of the 4 remaining A players on the floor will shoot the 2 FT's that team A has coming for B1's foul. Then any team B player(s) shoot the 2 FT's for A1's technical foul. No one on the lanes during all FT's. Team B gets a throw-in at center opposite the table. Team A plays with their 4 remaining players.

Great! Thanks, Jurassic Referee! That's exactly what my partner and I did! The only thing that I really didn't like about the whole scenario was that this game was part of a 'tournament' that had a few rule modifications, one being that the shots were not given for technical fouls and that the points (2) were awarded to the offended team. I dislike as an official putting points on the board like that.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 07:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra06
How Do You Like This Scenario?

Team A is in the lead late in the 4th quarter (under 1:00 left), 56-54. Their big man has already fouled out earlier in the game and now they are down to 5 eligible players. A1 gets a fast break opportunity and scores to put his team up by 4 points. On the play, A1 gets fouled in the act of shooting by B1. As the lead official has made the call and begins heading up to the table from the baseline to report the foul, A1 cheers "Yeah!" and taunts B1. A1 is charged with a technical foul, which turns out to be his 5th personal foul. How does the game proceed from there?

I like it, I guess. Fed:

A1 is fouled out (DQ'd) and since no replacement is available, any player on the court may shoot A1's free throw(s). Play continues from there as usual, but A with only 4 players.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I like it, I guess. Fed:

A1 is fouled out (DQ'd) and since no replacement is available, any player on the court may shoot A1's free throw(s). Play continues from there as usual, but A with only 4 players.
Thanks Juggling! I always like rule book citations!
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Great! 'tournament' that had a few rule modifications, one being that the shots were not given for technical fouls and that the points (2) were awarded to the offended team. I dislike as an official putting points on the board like that.
Had this not long ago...parent doing the book asked me "Who gets credit for the 2 pts?".

I was not sure so I just told her to give it to the offended player?
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Wink Scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
A1 is disqualified. Any one of the 4 remaining A players on the floor will shoot the 2 FT's that team A has coming for B1's foul. Then any team B player(s) shoot the 2 FT's for A1's technical foul. No one on the lanes during all FT's. Team B gets a throw-in at center opposite the table. Team A plays with their 4 remaining players.

Were A1 scored, It would seem his team would get 1 FT.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 11:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFARMA
A1 scored, It would seem his team would get 1 FT.
Good catch. I missed that in my original read. Went back and adjusted my answer accordingly.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NCAA: Score the basket. A1 charged with direct technical foul and immediate disqualification for the 5th foul. Any Team B player or sub may attempt 2 free throws. Point of interruption is A1's free throw. By rule since no sub is available, any team A player may attempt. Team will continue the game with 4 players.

One side note: I am assuming that A1's outburst was penalized for gestures or taunting right in B1's face. A spontaneus reaction to a play should be ignored unless it is directed toward another player. When it is an obvious taunt the T is automatic.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 12:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Had this not long ago...parent doing the book asked me "Who gets credit for the 2 pts?". I was not sure so I just told her to give it to the offended player?
Since it's a "special" rule just for that tournament, tell her to credit the points to game management. Or you could give her the definitive answer - "Who cares?"
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Since it's a "special" rule just for that tournament, tell her to credit the points to game management. Or you could give her the definitive answer - "Who cares?"
"Who cares?"

She cares! A1 is her 3rd grade son...and those extra points can pad his ppg average...thus, increasing his chance for a Full Ride Scholarship to Big Time U!
Richland, WA
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 06:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
"Who cares?"

She cares! A1 is her 3rd grade son...and those extra points can pad his ppg average...thus, increasing his chance for a Full Ride Scholarship to Big Time U!
Good point. I hadn't thought of that.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 07:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Good point. I hadn't thought of that.
That's because you're a heartless referee.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 08:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Why not give the 2 pts to the player that was taunted? It might make him feel better.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I dislike as an official putting points on the board like that.
Me too. Figuring out how to operate today's complex and computerized scoreboard consoles is SUCH a pain. I can't tell you how much I dislike doing that.

Oh wait, you didn't mean it like that? In that case, the proper answer, of course, is that you DIDN'T put any points on the board. You simply performed the function for which you were hired: you assessed the proper penalty for A1's inappropriate action. If there is somebody to "pin" those two points on, it's A1.

PS. Would it make you feel any better if a B player actually had to make two free throws to get the points? If so, why?