The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

We just did a tournament here...

1) Working with a more inexperiencd partner, we had a one+one at the T line. I signal 1+1 ( gym was way noisy) and kids probably did not hear the one and one I vocalized and bounced the ball. The shot was missed, one player grabbed the ball, ( no one moved off the line) was about to pass it to me when a other player grabbed it and bounced it to the shooter. Just as I am going to tell these kids it was 1+1 and to play on my partner blew his whistle to stop play. The shooter had the ball so we just ruled it inadvertent and gave the shooting theam the ball back...

2) had a girls game went into OT. The ball was passed from backcourt to about the 28ft with a about three seconds left.
The girl caught the ball and started to shoot, horn goes off while ball was still in her hands. I was blowing and signalling from the horn that the shot was no good, of course everybody is jumping up and down because she just "won" the game and then they notice me waving off the basket.... Glad I had started signalling at the horn and did not wait.

3) Lesson learned.. just a few seconds left and the second game of a double elim championship game (Winner wins tournament. Point guard is dribbling ball and then turns and taunts a player with about two seconds left, in a five-six point ball game. Then there was some commotion after that with both teams wanting to go at each other. The lesson I learned is that even though the tournament was basically over and the time was running out. We should have whacked him, and tossed him, although it would not have made any difference in the game, time would have stopped, the teams woulds have been separated while we shot the T's and who knows the team may have made a stupid mistake and picked up another T and then had the ball inbounds and would have won. Moral of the story you cant just let the unsportsmanlike conduct go to get the game over with two seconds left on the clock.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 01:05pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

3) Lesson learned.. just a few seconds left and the second game of a double elim championship game (Winner wins tournament. Point guard is dribbling ball and then turns and taunts a player with about two seconds left, in a five-six point ball game. Then there was some commotion after that with both teams wanting to go at each other. The lesson I learned is that even though the tournament was basically over and the time was running out. We should have whacked him, and tossed him, although it would not have made any difference in the game, time would have stopped, the teams woulds have been separated while we shot the T's and who knows the team may have made a stupid mistake and picked up another T and then had the ball inbounds and would have won. Moral of the story you cant just let the unsportsmanlike conduct go to get the game over with two seconds left on the clock.
This is so true. Too many or us (myself included) figure the game is over and relax. we aren't prepared to handle things when we let our guard down. Thanks for the reminder.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Kelvin,
On the way home, what I decided was that we should have
just called the game, ran off the floor and let the guys beat the s**t out of him instead of trying to break it up!
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 01:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
We just did a tournament here...
had a girls game went into OT.
What the hell is wrong with you????
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

#1 – In such situations don’t follow the free throw mechanics to the letter. Walk about half way up the lane with the ball under your arm and do the 1 and 1 with a finger on each hand. Also say it, look at all of the kids to see if they understand and at your partner to see if he/she has got it. Taking a few seconds to do this can stop a lot of problems from starting.

#2 – It took her 3 seconds to shoot? Did you go over with the timer when to start the clock? Did either of you watch the clock to see that it did not start until it was touched?
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We should have whacked him, and tossed him,
Taunting = T. Not Tossed unless it starts a fight. But, I do understand what you are saying. I'm just being picky.

I also agree with Mark P, what is your problem.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Some states (like MA, for example) designate taunting as flagrant.

Chuck
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 06:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Walk about half way up the lane with the ball under your arm and do the 1 and 1 with a finger on each hand.
I always walk into the lane a step or two, holding the ball with both hands. Then, I drop the ball and make the 1 and 1 waggle while loudly saying "1 and 1", then (I hope) catch the ball. It really gets their attention.

BTW - a few years ago, I was doing a game involving the son of a former NBA player (Kenny Carr) who was watching from right behind the basket. There was a two shot foul and the first shot missed. His son, who was standing in the low spot, must have thought there was a 1 and 1, because he soared into the lane, grabbed the rebound with one hand, let out a whoop, came down and looked for the outlet. He then realized his mistake and just shook his head.

His dad yelled at him and told him to keep his head in the game. Then, in a much lower tone, said, "Nice board, though." It was pretty funny.

Now, whenever a kid does something like this, I always say, "Nice board, though." It usually cracks up the other players. However, if the kid has been a jerk during the game, I usually will go up to him and say really loud, "See, 2 shots means he gets a second shot even if he misses the first." It usually embarrasses them which, of course, is my objective.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2002, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

rec ref

The clock started correctly. and the ball was still in her hands as the buzzer went off.

although I did not step 1/2 way up the paint we signalled 1+1 before the time out/after the time out. The kids just stood there in a daze.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Here is my 2 cents worth, ALWAYS make sure you know who the game management is. When someone has done something that warrents being kicked out or anything controversial, let game management toss them. just say, 24 white will leave before this game continues, now it is in their hands. and, you want to know exactly who the person is, and where they are located, so they can handle the problem.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Another sitch

We played this weekend, A1 on fast break, my player, B1, tries for block, gets top of ball with a hard block attempt, then hand slides down off and whacks A1 in face fairly hard. No intent, just a hard bit of contact, foul is called. A1 cocks back ready to slug B1, but then realizes this ain't smart, and goes to the line for FTs. End of game, B2 (resembles somewhat B1) is on floor, we (B) have 10 point lead, horn blows, teams head toward bench, and A1 slugs B2. Since nothing had happened between B2 and anyone the whole game (let alone as time ran out), we assume A1 is still POd about B1's foul five minutes earlier. Ref saw the after game action and said he would address it. What do you do to handle this?
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

It really depends on the level and format the game is being played under. If it's school sponsored the proper report sent to the state along with a technical foul and ejection for fighting recorded in the scorer's book (no shots) will get it taken care of. If it's just league games or other types of organization it will have to be addressed with the people in charge of the tournament/league, but the technical and ejection should still be recorded in the book to make sure there is documentation of the incident pertaining to this game.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

I should have been clearer - this was Saturday of a two day AAU warm-up tournament - 4 games, no awards, etc. But there were more games to play and action could have been taken - none was.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Another sitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
We played this weekend, A1 on fast break, my player, B1, tries for block, gets top of ball with a hard block attempt, then hand slides down off and whacks A1 in face fairly hard. No intent, just a hard bit of contact, foul is called. A1 cocks back ready to slug B1, but then realizes this ain't smart, and goes to the line for FTs. End of game, B2 (resembles somewhat B1) is on floor, we (B) have 10 point lead, horn blows, teams head toward bench, and A1 slugs B2. Since nothing had happened between B2 and anyone the whole game (let alone as time ran out), we assume A1 is still POd about B1's foul five minutes earlier. Ref saw the after game action and said he would address it. What do you do to handle this?
That depends -- who is "you?"

If it's the official -- report it to the governing authorities -- in this instance the tournament director (or similar).

If it's the coach -- sit the kid.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I DQ'd a kid last year on Saturday morning of a weekend tourney. It was a similar type of situation, except that the tournament directors didn't allow the kid to play the rest of the weekend. The coach was beside himself, but they stood thier ground. In my opinion it's the only right thing to do.