The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
We probably aren't going to agree. I agree with the way the game is officiated. If somebody travels, but it's a slight travel and it didn't affect the play at hand (meaning the offender/offense did not gain an advantage from it) I am probably going to let it go. IMO, which I know we disagree on this, it is best to let someone do somethin special on a breakaway because the defense did nothing to cause the travel so why reward them?? Also did it really affect the play at hand?? If the travel just allowed him to dunk and make it look sweet let it go if there is no defenders around him. I agree with that philosophy.

Also I do not believe that the NBA officials allow fouls to be let go on certain stars and all that. I believe Kobe led the league with 17 or 18 techs this year??

msavakinas,

I don't mean to be rude or anything and I hope i'm not but you have to stop saying stuff like this about the pro game. If there is a player on a stone cold breakaway and he legitimately obviously, without a doubt travels then I am calling it.

In our game, we have guidelines for what you can and can't do on the perimeter which doesn't involve adv/disadv. The same goes with what you can and can't do in the post that doesn't involve adv./disadv. That is why alot of ppl say they don't know what is and what is not a foul. It's bc unlike other leagues we have black and white guidelines in regards to perimeter defense and post play and so when a fan sees a guideline foul on one end and then a guy drives to the hole and the defender legally jumps straight up to defend a play at the rim and he gets knocked down without a foul on the other end they are wonder why the home team is getting so many calls or wondering how a "ticky tack" can be called on one end and a knock down isn't called on the other.

I like that you are trying to protect the NBA but I believe the comments you are making about them are wrong. IMO
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 11:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Worth Repeating ...

An Official Forum Member's Prayer

God, today I have not been nasty or rude;
I have not given or taken offense;
I have not done wrong;
I have fulfilled your will.
Now, God, please be with me,
because in a minute or so
I'm going to have to get out of bed.
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 11:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I just read MG Johnson's official U.S. Army biography. He is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy and appears to have been an engineering officier his entire Army career which not unusual for a person with his engineering background; I would venture to say that his engineering dicipline is civil engineering based on the positions he has held in the Army. A civilian equivilent position to his current Army position would be most likely be as a vice-president of engineering for a large manufacturing corporation. Which means that what he does for a living has absolutely no correlation to being in charge of sports officials. I have no doubt that he is very good at what he does in the military, but he has no qualifications for the job that the NBA has hired him to do.

MTD, Sr.
With his CE background, maybe he can get the Gyprock delivered on time.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 04:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 11:19am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 03:54pm
We don't rent pigs

I think I got it. The NBE traveling rule bleeds over from another high profile sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinball rules

1.2. Any player may declare a new rule at any point in the game . The player may do this audibly or silently depending on what zone the player is in.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 05:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

The Official Rules of Calvinball

1.1. All players must wear a Calvinball mask (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.1). No one questions the masks (Figure 2.1).

*IMPORTANT -- The following rules are subject to be changed, amended, or dismissed by any player(s) involved.

1.2. Any player may declare a new rule at any point in the game (Figure 1.2). The player may do this audibly or silently depending on what zone (Refer to Rule 1.5) the player is in.

1.3. A player may use the Calvinball (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.2)in any way the player see fits, from causal injury to self-reward.

1.4. Any penalty legislation may be in the form of pain, embarrassment, or any other abasement the rulee deems fit to impose on his opponent.

1.5. The Calvinball Field (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.3) should consist of areas, or zones, which are governed by a set of rules declared spontaneously and inconsistently by players. Zones may be appear and disappear as often and wherever the player decides. Zones are often named for their effect. For example, a corollary zone would enable a player to make a corollary (sub-rule) to any rule that has benn, will be, or might be declared. A pernicious poem place would require the intruder to do what the name implies. Or an opposite zone would enable a player to declare reverse playibility on the others. (Remember, the player would declare this zone oppositely by not declaring it.) (Figure 1.5a and 1.5b)

1.6. Flags (Calvinball Equipment 2.3) shall be named by players whom shall also assign the power and rules which shall govern that flag for particular moment in that particular game(Figure 1.6).

1.7. Songs are an integral part of Calvinball and verses must be sung spontaneously through the game when randomly assigned events occur. These random events will be named and pointed out after the player causes the event.

1.8. Score may be kept or disregarded. In the event that score is kept, it shall have no bearing on the game nor shall it have any logical consistency to it. (Legal scores include 'Q to 12', 'BW-109 to YU-34, and 'Nosebleed to Trousers'.) (Figure 1.9)

1.9. Any rule above that is carried out during the course of the game may never be used again in the event that it causes the same result as a previous game. Calvinball games may never be played the same way twice (Figure 1.9)
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 07:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I can just see it now.

Coach, during a throwin: "He traveled, he traveled. He can't jump up and down like that."
Ref: "This isn't Calvinball, coach, you can't just make up your own rules as we go along."
Coach:
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 07:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Is Calvinball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The Official Rules of Calvinball.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Would that be the referee, the one in stripes?
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I don't trust Herr David Stern in anyway... He probably hired this guy without portfolio I may add just to keep guys like U.S. Arlen Spector from making a case and provide a show while investigating NBA Ref's and their inner departmental practices...

WHY? Because they probably DO have a lot of dirty laundry...!

It always happens that when these military guys retire from serving and get out it seems they ALWAYS have a top level job awaiting them even without experience...

Again, David Stern is a master at illusion and teflon strategies.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee
It always happens that when these military guys retire from serving and get out it seems they ALWAYS have a top level job awaiting them even without experience...
If only....
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If only....
I'm a ref, retired military, and work federal civil service. Maybe I should have gotten the job.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I'm a ref, retired military, and work federal civil service. Maybe I should have gotten the job.
You're hired!!
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 02:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

It looks like Arlen Specter's hound-dogging of the NFL benefitted one of his constituents.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/16820478/detail.html