The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Unemployment Benefits + Officiating

Hi All,

I recently got laid off from my full time job that I had with a startup company. The company wasn't doing great so this wasn't too unexpected though the timing was. I expected to be around a little longer.

In any case, I filed for unemployment benefits and noted that I do "independent contract" work as a referee. I talked to someone at the agency who said they wanted to have someone talk to me about the independent contract work.

I'm just curious if anyone's gone through this before. I'm wondering how my referee "work" affects my unemployment benefits (if any at all).

I live in California, so I know this stuff might differ from state to state. But if anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I think they'll want you to document your income from this activity in order to reduce or even eliminate your unemployment check. They'll probably also want you to document your efforts to find work as a referee as part of your regular job seeking reporting.

That's my guess.

Good luck.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Get paid cash for the time being if you can...

Personally, I don't see how they can force you to look for more games as a ref...what if your knee was jacked up and you couldn't run and do games...

BUT sadly, they will look at that as a source of income to jack you out of your rightful unemployment that you have probably paid into over the years....

Yeah..I was in your boat a few years ago...I just worked games where I could get paid cash in hand at the end of the games.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Get paid cash for the time being if you can...

Personally, I don't see how they can force you to look for more games as a ref...what if your knee was jacked up and you couldn't run and do games...

BUT sadly, they will look at that as a source of income to jack you out of your rightful unemployment that you have probably paid into over the years....

Yeah..I was in your boat a few years ago...I just worked games where I could get paid cash in hand at the end of the games.

You misunderstand unemployment then. It's insurance, not a savings plan. It is to guarantee that you get a certain amount of income to survive on until you get new employment. If you get minor income from somewhere else, that provides you some of that income...why should you get it twice?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 05:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Unemployment is mostly a local issue and something you really need to talk to your local public officials that you have to file unemployment with. The issue you bring up might be drastically different from one place to another.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41
But if anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated.
In NC, you can still work and make limited income. Anything you make over a certain amount, which varies from individual to individual, your benefits are reduced $1 for every $2 you make.

No, they can't require you to seek more games. Officiating is not the job that you lost. All they can do is require you to actively seek employment. But since you have revealed that you are making money from officiating, they will require you to report that income.

Personally, I would have kept my mouth shut. I guess some will frown on that but I couldn't care less. When you're unemployed, it's all you can do to survive. Your benefits are going to be a very small percentage of what your salary was.

I've been where you are. It's tough, no doubt about it. Good luck.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Personally, I would have kept my mouth shut. I guess some will frown on that but I couldn't care less. When you're unemployed, it's all you can do to survive. Your benefits are going to be a very small percentage of what your salary was.

I've been where you are. It's tough, no doubt about it. Good luck.
I completely agree with your statement. I would not go around telling the unemployment how much money I make in conjunction with officiating. If you are a contractor would you tell the unemployment office you fixed someone's gutter for minimal pay?

Peace